Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General CA trolls - it's embarrassing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"I have to add that there is a bit of a "tell tale tattle" attitude coming across towards posters who make reports, even though it has been confirmed that reporting is encouraged and the mod team rely on reports. It really comes across as like being back in a school playground, where the class bully tries to stop the other kids from telling the teacher on them."

What this indicates to me is that you use the report function as a tactic, a kind of back seat modding. Where you don't care for other posters POV and so you report it. It's already established that reporting a post draws far more attention than to comments that are left in the swing of things. So maybe you need to rethink the bully analogy and also consider why you may not be liked as a poster.

Dunno, I'd describe myself as liberal left. But not rigidly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

Imagine reporting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

No it doesn't.

It means circa 44% of boards users who bothered with that one thread/poll in 2018 clicked Peter Casey so 'boards users generally lean further to the right than the general population' isn't the most truthful take one could have at all.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

You're reading what you want to in it. My comment on telling tales related to this thread and this thread alone, where there have been more then a couple of snide little remarks made at those who make reports - including a couple you made yourself, "busybodies" being one of them? You can take from that what you will.

I'm not as petty as you're trying to paint me. I'm also not so insecure that I treat Boards as a popularity contest. I report were I see fit, I will continue to do so, and I've told you to do the same. That is not back seat modding. @Beasty does not tolerate that. You have mentioned several times now that you take issue with the fact that I make reports at all, and that you have watched my posts.

By the way, stop doing that. It's creepy.

In the last comment above, are you telling us that we are not allowed to read what others write on a public forum? Or remember what they wrote? Puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where exactly was it already established that reporting a post draws far more attention than to comments that are left in the swing of things?

• Advertisement

But amongst the gen population he didn't get anywhere near that so that would indicate that those boards users that 'bothered to vote' were more right leaning in larger quantities alright.

And would that be an indication of the leaning of most of the CA posters, or just those that 'bothered to' click on that thread?

This as my previous point.. Middle of the road boards users are switching off CA because of all of this right wing stuff.

Don't think its lack of moderation tbh. Its such an echo chamber that only certain posters who don't run with the gang get reported.

No, I'm telling you that I find the fact that you've gone to the trouble of telling me twice now on this thread, how you have singled my posts out and watched them, as creepy. And it is.

Stop overly concerning yourself with what I do on Boards. If you don't like my posts, or don't agree with me on any particular topic, put me on ignore.

It's not your role to moderate me, which is what you're attempting to do in your own passive aggressive way.

I hope that clears up your confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Then it should be extremely easy to quote a hate filled post then.

Glazers Out!

It's not easy to quote a normal post anymore.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Here's some feedback for you. Every report in CA is reviewed and acted on as we see fit. As I have stated many,9 many times (including in this thread), we are not going to start PM'ing reporters

If the reported post is no longer there it has clearly been actioned.

Yeah, people know what he got IRL

Its been disingenuously extrapolated to paint boards (users) as hilariously ‘far right’ and even more hilariously as ‘right wing’ as if that’s somehow intolerable in order to support the OP post’s accusations.

Id say a lot of posters are turned off by both the intolerant left and right silos.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

You're saying its not easy to quote posts?

You originally said that this thread is full of the type of posts the OP described as being common in CA.

If that's the case quote one of them for us, I don't think any posts have been deleted on this thread so your task is relatively simple. Prove what you're claiming with evidence.

Glazers Out!

Are you replying to my post without referencing? Why?

I agree that people are turned off by extremes yes.

However most of the CA threads seem to be right wing posters, with left wing reacting and more centrist getting squeezed out on both sides.

So you don't think ' far right' is intolerable? Interesting...

Can you cite examples of these threads and provide links to back up this claim?

Glazers Out!

Seriously?

Go look at the list yourself and come back to me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So you are now pulling the harassment/ victim card because you don’t like the poster’s critical words?

You are posting in a public forum, and you know full well that posts are visible to others. Bad form to be accusing people of being “creepy” just because they have seen your posts ..

Yep, piling on...

I found the responses a bit of an attack on @[Deleted User] myself, but thought between the two of them, that is until you decided to get involved ..

I said it is quite hilarious that EVERYTHING not aligned with new ‘left’ critical thinking is ‘far right’ (eg Casey) while even more hilariously, having any right leaning opinion appears to be utterly intolerable with s o m e boards users.

Your Cathy Newmanism was a bit uncalled for but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's twice you've called Peter Casey far-right. A truly disgusting thing to say and is indicative of someone that is so far-left they're in danger of falling off the edge.

Lets see if you can work out why Mr Casey's vote was lower than the poll on boards shall we. I'll give you a little hint - You'd have to wonder why those polls were pulled.

Just for clarity, here's what the 'far-right' Casey said in the podcast

Casey described Irish Travellers as "basically people camping in someone else's land" who are "not paying their fair share of taxes in society"

Words that would've made Himmler blush eh.

I'm saying the quote functionality sucks compared to the previous site.

I don't feel any obligation to quote or prove a anything considering there isn't any (or very little) feedback given when posts disappear or you get banned. We are expected to suck it up. That works both ways.

In my opinion, there's no smoke without fire and this thread wouldn't exist or people be replying to it, if it was a non issue. It would just have been ignored by everyone on both sides.

IMO by the time the thread has moved on a few hours and pages, quoting an older post out of context of the posts around it makes no sense. I was told to stop stressing about it and get a ice cream. Something to consider.

"Cathy Newmanism" had to look that up.

Quite the rabbit hole. If that was a thread title I know now to stay clear.

Are you familiar with the concept of burden of proof?

Glazers Out!

So offensive posts are removed is what you're saying? So where's the issue?

There's a cohort here who just want a safe space with no opinions they disagree with allowed.

Like I said previously, it's just a tantrum.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Polls aren't always representative of his People will vote. Just as the internet isn't representative of how everyone thinks. Boards is an even smaller subset of that again.

But media in general can have a disproportionate influence on things.

Boards and mods have a fine line to tread. Their ball, their rules. Which we accept when we sign up. Might not always agree with them. But I can acknowledge and appreciate their efforts and work to keep the lights on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement