Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General CA trolls - it's embarrassing

Options

Comments

I agree with you on standing up for your views and being able to express and call out when you see fit.

My own view is that opinions shouldn't be removed or topics not allowed because they aren't liked.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not something we would ever keep tabs on, and anyone who does get banned, beyond the re-regs, can be banned at thread, forum or site level, and sitebans can be permanent or temporary as a result of warning points.. Those warning points can be picked up in any forum and for any issue which is against site or forum rules, mod warnings and the like.

This week, which is very much an exception, I permanently banned 2 posters as a result of stuff they were posting in the thread which I think triggered this thread (and I did so before knowing this thread was here). But that was for racist rather than transphobic commentary

Some posters get warnings for deliberate misgendering. My personal approach is to issue a nil pointer initially - a shot across the bows to hopefully prevent further issue. Next time they can expect a threadban and a point. If it continues they will rapidly reach an automatic siteban, but most get the point after the initial warning and don't post like that again

Oh, I promise you I am well able to debate any opinion I own. Just because I choose not to do it on demand, does not mean I can't.

I am not responsible for how you apply my posts to yourself. I was speaking in general terms, and have done so throughout this thread.

If you decide to take something I say and apply that to yourself and take it as me personally insulting you, then that's on you. That was not my intent.

I do agree with you here :

"too many posters just don't know any other way of engaging in debate than throw an insult."

I hope you include those who like to throw insults at those who are supportive of the issues you are not, in that statement.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about CA. A quick glance at the forum reveals threads on the front page with something over 200k posts across them. You claim a culture of bigotry exists. How many of those 200k of posts do you think get reported? How many do you think get reported for "bigotry", "racism" or "transphobia"

I started the thread to try to get admin to think about where the site is going. The fact that the thread hasn't been deleted would suggest that admin know I'm not lying and my op post is more or less correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

From my experience I don't think there a lot,not that I'd have knowledge of mod actions other than my own infarctions ,

I've been on some of those contentious discussions ,and I've definitely been actioned but never for transphobic comments ,I've also seen numerous others get thread banned based off mod posts but again for arguments rather than transphobic posts, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, despite being on here a silly number of hours per week,I rarely come across some of the claimed posts ,we all know there is the obvious trolls who do appear and say racist and transphobic posts,

But overall all I don't think the claims being made are as widespread as being claimed which I believe is unfair to mods , posters, and boards in general,

I've crossed swords with more people than I can count on here but it's very unfair to label whole forum's as transphobic or racist,or homophobic,and zero evidence to back up their claims ,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

Anyone have a link to the site with the disgruntled ex boards.ie users mentioned earlier in this thread, sounds like a fun place 😆

If you don't want to mention it publicly then feel free to pm me.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Do you mean the cultural view that meant “mind your own business” when something is out of order. Small town say nothing attitudes?

There are always people who go against this, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I already said I report every bigoted post I see; what do you think I should do, go on patrol?

This thread was started because there is an obvious culture of bigotry here, particularly in the CA forum. If you don’t want to acknowledge then I think you’re more than a little out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The OP paints a picture of a forum that is overrun with bigoted posting of all shades, where anyone who might be classified as marginalised is a target of endless vitriol of an enormous group of hate filled cretins.

Oddly the longest running and most popular threads on the forum are massively left leaning in terms of the posters who regularly contribute to them. The Twitter thread is essentially a "we hate Elon Musk" thread at this point, there's no dissenting view points there, ditto the Trump thread.

Generally speaking hate speech isn't tolerated and is sanctioned /removed.

I've had my share of frank exchanges of opinions with Beasty over the years but the notion that he and the rest of mods/admins are allowing CA to become a sounding board for hate speech is frankly bizarre.

Some people want anyone they disagree with to be silenced. The modern "left" have become enamored with the notion of deplatforming as a desirable method of silencing opinions they disagree with, which is essentially what the OP is suggesting.

The OP wants an echo chamber (I know, it's a cliche) and now they're throwing the toys out of their pram saying they want their account deleted because the site won't indulge their wants exclusively.

What's the point of a discussion site where differing opinions aren't allowed?

The picture the OP paints is demonstrably utterly apocryphal. Hate speech isn't tolerated here and never hs been.

It should be relatively simple to demonstrate then...

How many do you reckon you have reported from CA then?

Bearing in mind there have been hundreds of thousands of posts in the forum since your start date of July 2021

You are the one claiming there is a culture here

Explain how all of these racist, sexist, Islamophobic , homophobic, transphobic, asylumphobic , you claim is the majority of the content in a whole forum goes unpunished by the mods despite all of the reported posts you and others claim and yet very few people in tens of thousands of posts haven't been banned or their variophobic posts removed

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to respond to my forum post. It means a lot to me that you not only read my message, but also took the effort to share your thoughts and insights on the topic.

Your response was extremely helpful and provided me with a fresh perspective that I had not considered before. It's always great to hear from other members of the community and to engage in discussions that promote learning and growth.

Once again, thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I truly appreciate your input and look forward to further discussions with you and other members of this forum.

Best regards,

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

<snip> - it's in the swear filter for a reason

minus the hyphens, and use dot symbol (not the word ☺️)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Ahhh those little sneaky nil pointers for wrong thinking.

Nothing you said was racist or phobic but you get a warning any way. Then all of a sudden you have rapidly reached enough points to a site ban without posting anything racist or phobic.

Those dozen or so crying the loudest won't keep the hamsters running, when everyone else is gone.

Your line of questioning is absurd, the topic isn’t about whether I have reported enough posts it is about the obvious culture of veiled bigotry in the Current Affairs forum.

You can blame me for that because I don’t report enough posts(!) all you like but really it’s the rhetorical equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going “laa laa laa I can’t hear you.”

You’ve kind of embarrassed yourself here tbh.

It's funny - you could go through the whole thread and check who liked what and you've a list of folks who post all the hateful stuff on the site.

• Advertisement

You have provided zero evidence to support your claim

I have an idea of how many reports you have made across the site since you joined. Your posts in this thread paint an incredibly different picture

Have you got any examples of this hate to share here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Once a person steps into the looking-glass world of 'dog whistles' they will see every statement as tinged with hidden hate.

Its an undisproveable assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,598 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This thread is about trolls but this matter also relates to those who report people for what they consider trolling or other reasons.

My assertion is that there are those who take offence rather too easily and who instead of engaging or as well as engaging, choose to use the report facility. I take heart from Big Bag Chips advice that such matters are monitored and those who are too trigger happy are pulled up.

However it's an imperfect system and as Beasty says, many posts fly under the radar. What brings them to attention is the reporting. But what that implies is that there are many unsanctioned posts, simply because they were not reported. Reporting brings attention to them.

I admire those who attempt to mod the site, it must be both time consuming and limit their own participation. So my view, is to write and let write. I don't want to be bothering a mod just because poster xyz insulted or offended me. I can either reply to them or simply ignore them. Society is a big place with lots of views and many different ways of living a life. Why not hear them all? If someone is continuously pushing a very divisive agenda, there has to be limits but such a judgement has to surely be made over time. The one type of post that I think should be quickly closed is where there are clear legal consequences for the site. But other than that, let people debate imho.

I was joking earlier but because you think I haven’t reported enough posts on this site do you genuinely think that I should go on patrol for posts to report?

What would be my quota? I’ve already reported a few posts in this thread, how many other posters have reported as much as I have?

@Boards.ie: Mike @Boards.ie: Odhran perhaps you could clear up this ambiguity, how many posts do posters need to have reported exactly before their observations are considered valid in Feedback threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yeah I agree debate is fine, but these things usually cross the bounds of civility.

I doubt there are people going mad pressing report, if they are, they are trolls themselves, but if people feel something should be reported, then let the mods deal with it.

It feels like the thrust if this thread is to only allow opinions the OP agrees with or tantrums will be thrown until that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To counter that, though not in Current Affairs, the Wokeism of the day thread is by far the most popular thread I've seen sitting at 387 pages full of culture war nonsense. At least twitter thread is informative on some aspect of changes to the twitter platform and the Trump thread does give some news not just opinion.

Crazy though that the Harry and Meghan thread is 527 pages. I'm not sure how that thread could be categorised as.

• Advertisement

And yet zero evidence has been produced to back up yours and others claims ,

Why exactly is that,

Don't like being challenged or don't like being proven wrong???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement