Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General CA trolls - it's embarrassing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s not a pile on. Claiming to feel intimidated by posters looking at one’s public posts is nothing but disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not sure why you think the rules of a forum or moderation are a "tantrum".

Ice cream....ice cream.... typo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That's clearly not what I'm saying.

Saying that CA is full to the brim with offensive rhetoric isn't true and the OP is outlining a proposal to silence all opinions they disagree with which is a bloody tantrum.

Sure sounds more like what you are doing. OP expressed an opinion. You can just ignore it, or disagree with it instead of having a tantrum.

It's unlikely to change anyway. You can sleep soundly.

• Advertisement

I'm asking for evidence of this hate filled posting which has been routinely denied and or claimed to be an unreasonable ask by a number of posters, yourself included.

What do you want to see happen in CA?

Hate posts are already being removed and posters banned.

Should anything other than a left wing opinion be something that immediately warrants a site ban?

What's the end game here?

Do you even know what you want?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I really cannot believe anyone pays much attention to polls on this site.

It's very easy for people who have a strong view (from either side) to vote, but those who may be indifferent often would not bother. Hence they tend to reflect more of the extremes than the general consensus, and indeed they can then attract even more extreme views when people think they can use this site to express them.

And it's also reflected in threads like this. The vast majority who are happy with the site, who feel they have nothing to be concerned about, or nothing to contribute, steer clear. Threads like this (and we get them regularly) typically attract those who want to shout loudest to try and force their own views across.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

The thing is, though - if the evidence irrefutably showed that gangs of youths running amok with machetes were indeed 'African', many of the same people who call everything they disagree with 'bigotry' and 'racism', would still do so.

It's a modus operandi, and this is unfortunately where we're at, both as a society and a forum. Pathetic aping of American discourse.

Whereas it is indeed possible for 'adults' to make precisely that point. Not because they are being racist (in the real sense of the word, which is the only important one) in intent, but because they know that as a general rule of thumb, debate is helped by having more precise information, not less precise.

The consequences of that may make for uncomfortable hearing to those who wish the real world were like a Benetton ad, but that's just tough. When they become middle-aged themselves (which is no crime, yet) maybe they'll realise they actually didn't know it all when they thought that a valid criticism to make of others.

Not gonna bother wasting my evening by responding much but just a few examples.

The Tate tread - pretty much just an excuse to try to normalise a pretty disgusting person and get a few digs in about women along the way.

The Barbie Kardashian thread - pretty much just an excuse to have a go at trans people on the basis of one extreme outlier.

The Woke-ism thread - a lot of punching down at all sorts of minorities.

The Criminal Justice Bill thread - currently in the throes of trying to link something happening in Germany with trans issues.

Time for a zero refugee policy - I'm mean, the title of the thread alone does a lot of the heavy lifting by itself as to the content. A few relatively new accounts currently doing a bit of sh*t-stirring about climate change and, believe it or not, providing Africa with more information on the rhythm method.

Just today a couple of immigrant and Ukrainian bashing threads were closed down.

<snip>

Post edited by Beasty on

The OP expressed an option I simply agreed on general terms. I can't be more specific, it's against the rules.

• Advertisement

All of those threads are moderated perfectly well. They aren't hotbeds of hate speech by any means.

And yes you are wrong I wasn't banned for being offensive at any point. I've had a few threadbans for engaging in back and forths with a couple of posters who I've had differing opinions with but I don't engage in hate speech.

Like everything else you're saying here, that was wrong but you posted it regardless of the fact you didn't do your due diligence.

Thanks for attempting to tarnish me and my contribution here by associating me with hate speech.

You need to be an awful lot more prepared for this type of discussion because all you've provided so far is your opinion and facts have been notably absent.

Have you had any joy shutting down your profile?

It's against the rules to link to an example of the type of posting you're arguing exists on this site? Which rule is it you're referring to exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Fair enough. I do apologise, but I never used the phrase "hate speech". As to closing my account, apparently it can take up to 21 days for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How can we forget the recent post on how Africans have lower IQs than the rest of the world that was left open for days? Basically to say hey look i told you so, black people are thick. Opened by a guy who has regularly given out about "darker skinned" people being all over O Connell St etc.

You, without evidence accused me of being banned from the site for "being offensive". I've never received a site ban as it happens.

Apologising in advance tells me that you knew that you couldn't make that statement with any confidence and that you knew it would be something I would find offensive.

Your apology means nothing because you ignored the fact that what you were saying was a fabrication and went ahead and said it with the intention to undermine anything I've said here.

This is why people take issue with your assertions in this thread.

It's one rule for you and another for everyone else. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edit, I see the original accusation was removed. If this needs to be deleted then it's fair enough.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not at all against the rules. Allegations have been made and posters should be able to back up their allegations with real examples. If not their allegations carry pretty much zero weight

The post has been snipped and the poster has been told not to make such comments again. That's the end of it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The good news is Boards isn't barometer of Irish society or the massive influence on Irish society that these clowns think it is.

I think you're being deliberately obtuse here, Jequ0n. I have no issue with posters reading any of my posts.

However, the poster in question went to extra trouble to tell me - not just once, but twice - how they have singled my posts out and "watched" them (their choice of word) for their particular attention.

That I do find creepy.

Did I claim I felt harassed or victimised? No. That's something you're trying to project onto me. I also couldn't care less about the criticism of some random username on an internet forum. I'm not about to lose any sleep over it. As my mother used to say, "your opinion of me is none of my business".

But I have to say, I do find it amusing that a bunch of posters who are so completely adamant that CA (and maybe also AH) should basically allow anyone, any opinion (even if it breaks Boards own charter) are here trying their hardest to shut me or anyone else who doesn't agree with them down. I find that such a double standard.

• Advertisement

Who said you should be "shut down"?

Also anything that goes against the charter of the site is dealt with within the parameters of said charter which makes your statement above redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

If it creeps you out you should probably stop posting because they won’t be the only poster.

Nobody is arguing that every opinion should be allowed in AH and CA. There are obvious radical idiots on both sides who want to simply stir up things( but it’s a real pity when moderate posts get tarred with the same brush just because some people want to shut down any discussion on said topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

My cousin is a psychiatric nurse and given the amount of times some of their more troubled patients mention as gospel what they read and post on there, here, Facebook etc and rant about censorship, leftists etc is a case of either laugh or cry depending on how their day is going.

Not to say that their aren't others that are born with an affliction for which there is no cure.

Either way I'd say your safe enough.

@Jequ0n

Please don't continue to misrepresent me. I have never claimed to be intimidated by anyone.

So, non left leaning people should be at least loosely associated with people who require acute psychiatric care?

There's a nasty undercurrent to some of the posts here.

Telling posters they should stay away, leave, or stop posting is attempting to shut them down, in my opinion.

It's also quite hypocritical of those who claim to welcome any opinion as open for discussion.

Didn't you also just ask nudain how closing their account was going?

(eta) oh look! Fresh example just provided of being told to stop posting!

(eta 2) also, @nullzero

The Boards charter does not allow transphobic posts.

Yet according to some, they should be allowed for the sake of "discussion".

Well, no. They shouldn't.

And around and around we go. I think we're just about back where we started.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,642 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’ve had this out a few times on Boards from those who appear to be hugely anxious to downplay the far right leanings of Casey and on Boards. If you fancy searching back through my posts, you’ll find the multiple examples from mainstream media referencing Casey as far right. It’s not my opinion, it’s a widespread view.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,642 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Defensive much? It’s not a personal attack, and it’s not a criticism of individual mods. I’m just pointing out that some structured feedback loop would be helpful, so those reporting can judge if their reports are generally accepted or are they wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Never said or implied that, can't help what you dream up.

• Advertisement

Nobody is instructing you to do anything.

That poster suggested you should stop posting if you can't handle the realities of engaging in discussion. That isn't the same as saying you shouldn't post or shouldn't be allowed to post.

You're suggesting there's some sort of witch hunt against you which is an invention of your own imagination.

If I go full bore in a thread on a controversial or heated topic I can expect push back, I've been piled on plenty of times on this site but I made the decision to be in that situation.

I would suggest you remember that you made the decision to engage all by yourself. The reality is that if you're not willing to engage with that process then don't get involved. That isn't an attempt to censor you, it's a suggestion that your expectations aren't calibrated correctly and that if you continue as you have been you will continue to take offence which isn't a very rewarding experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement