Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General CA trolls - it's embarrassing

Options

Comments

@cdeb

But if you're going to, in a feedback thread, accuse people left, right and centre of transphobia, you should be able to discuss what constitutes it.

I haven't accused anyone of transphobia in this this thread, and I have already stated I didn't join this thread for the purpose of discussing the Tavistock case, but it seems to be the only conversation you want to have, and again, I'm not going to be baited into it.

If you want to discuss what constitutes transphobia, I will say this. I consider anything which promotes negative attitudes, feelings, or actions towards transgender people as transphobia.

I think you will agree that identifying as transgender is a very complex issue. It can sometimes take years for a trans person to come to understand themselves.

Transphobia, however, is not nearly as complex or as difficult to identify, and is often rooted in ignorance.

Throwing out statements such as "you can't just decide to be a man/woman because you identify as one..." only carries negative connotations and promotes negativity towards trans people. It helps no one. Certainly not any trans person. And IME, is typically followed up by other negative statements such as accusations of delusion or mental illness - or worse.

So yes, it fits my definition of transphobic, and I will continue to call it out as such.

I hope that gives you some of the clarity you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What baffles me is that there’s a site set up by some disgruntled, and former, boards users specifically for “saying whatever you like” about trans people and immigrants. And also to mock, and make threats, against boards users and mods.

They just don’t seem to want to stay over there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

There is an old saying "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem".

If you want to sit back and ignore it, that's fine.

But if everyone did that, well, we'd probably still have laws against homosexuality and same sex marriage.

Some of us think its worth calling it out.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Eh yeah that’s when they’re looking for someone. They sometimes describe hair styles, height, and eye colour for people on the run as well do you think that’s “important” when discussing a case when talking about a crime in the papers?

The perceived race of a person who has committed a crime isn’t relevant if you’re simply discussing the crime, the arrest, prosecution, and so on, unless you’re a racist hoping to stoke the usual “dis is wat u get wen u open the borders” stuff.

If you’re fixated on a criminal’s skin colour after they have been convicted of a crime then you’re a racist, regardless of the seriousness of the crime committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And why do you keep reporting posts? Do you view yourself as some sort of self appointed moral police? We have a cultural view on such activity in this country.

I don't report posts, I'd rather just discuss/ counter the POV being expressed.

Yes reporting may occasionally be helpful to moderators but many threads have mods active on them, even if that's not their particular area of responsibility. They are or should be well able to spot anything that is potentially damaging to the site. Your or my interference is not really needed.

I would only consider reporting a post in extreme circumstances, as a last resort.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the mods, and admins, have, specifically, asked users to report posts, since the move to the new setup, to help them “monitor” the site.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

That's just a recipe for busy bodies so, to report what they don't like. If I was a mod and I'm not, I'd rather see people get on with the cut & thrust of debate and not be bothering me with their whiney complaints :)

@Furze99

Why are you trying to police what I (or others) do on the site?

You have no idea how often I report posts, or where my personal lines are for doing so, so cool your jets.

I see from your post you will also press the report post button when you feel its warranted.

So you're being a bit of a pot calling a kettle black there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I know the hate site you are talking about and to be honest I think at this stage it should be reported to the Gardai. I can only imagine what they say in PMs if that is what they say in the open.

I also saw threats against you. Solidarity. Hope you are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

White Knighting comes to mind ,

From experience on contentious threads the majority of mod actions or bans don't involve transphobia or homophobia but that doesn't stop the usual suspects repeatedly saying posts are transphobic or homophobic and then in feedback despite numerous mods or admins been through the threads multiple occasions,

It's a case those who make the most noise,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You have made repeated comments along the lines of (and I quote) "Lets not pretend that Boards.ie is not a very transphobic site in general. The level of transphobia and transphobic posting allowed here is off the scale." So don't go bullshitting me that you're not calling people out.

And the thing is, if you think I'm transphobic for thinking you can't just change your gender, and if you think it helps no-one to make such suggestions, then this is exactly why Tavistock is relevant. This is where a woman won a case against the NHS - and got the department shut down - because they didn't question her enough about her feelings before going in for some fairly invasive surgery. This is the same NHS that has acknowledged it'd been handing out puberty blockers to kids with very little monitoring. Horrendous stuff - all because people dismiss criticism as transphobia.

So that's why Tavistock is relevant to the point I'm making, and that's why I note that you're still not engaging in any debate (you're just calling me transphobic), and that's why I think your complaints about the level of posting in CA are somewhat ironic when you refuse to look at your own role in all that.

Hmm... may I quote you "...I'll keep calling it out and/or reporting as and when I see fit. You can do the same, if you think it's warranted. The report button is open to everyone."

I've watched you a while on various threads and I've formed an opinion that you frequently use the report function when other posters have different opinions to you. I can't back that up with figures, I'm sure a mod can but it can often be inferred from your musings.

I on the other hand, have never reported a post on this site that I can recall. I said I might 'in extremis' but that has not arisen yet.

I put to you that you should be more tolerant of other posters viewpoints.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What I find is some people only really see things as black or white. They cannot comprehend there may be shades of grey. They are always right.

Well in the real world we deal with shades of grey. There are rarely "right" and "wrong" answers. As mods we make judgements. I am not saying we get it all right, but on balance I think our judgements are reasonable. I think on balance we work for the better of the site

And I know this will not satisfy some, but that's the world we live in

I don’t know how any person could claim not to be transphobic while at the same time they bring up Tavistock every single chance they can, even in threads that have nothing to do with trans issues.

All that looks like to me is that some people are absolutely incapable of confronting their own transphobic tendencies. This to the point that they will become absolutely fixated on worst-case-scenario extremist examples such as Tavistock, or Barbie Kardashian, or transwomen in combat sport, and delude themselves into thinking that those cases are the status quo for transpeople.

It’s not just transphobia of course, Islamophobia and racism towards Irish born people of African descent or Ukrainian refugees is absolutely rampant on here.

I’ve said it before but the vast majority of boards.ie users are middle aged neoliberal Celtic Tiger/Tony Blair era boomer types who are mentally stuck in 2006-2009, and absolutely rail against any kind of progressive moves made since then.

Should users continue to report posts they feel need reporting or, like the user @Furze99 is saying, should they stop altogether.

I was under the “impression” that, with the new site the way it is, that mods, and admins, relied on user support with post reporting. Would it be possible to get clarification on that?

In my opinion, which I am entitled too, Boards is a very transphobic site. You're not going to change my opinion on that.

I also haven't called you transphobic. I'm not familiar with you or any of your posts on other threads at all, we obviously don't frequent the same threads.

I have told you multiple times now, that I am not interested in having the debate you keep trying to force on me here. I don't think its the appropriate thread for it. I've also explained that several times. So move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

@Furze99

I could report Beasty's post if I wanted and he wont get banned/infracted.

Its not getting reported that gets people banned, its the content IN the post that might get someone banned.

Very weird point to have to explain.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it's not reported it's unlikely to be looked at

All reports are looked at, even if it might not be for a day or two

So yes - absolutely - we depend on reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Bit strange to not report posts that may be considered racist or transphobic, it at least provides clarity where the line is. There is a certain obsession with right wingers at the moment to either illegal immigration or trans issues so you can see a lot current affairs threads tend to drift towards these issues even if they are obstensively related to some other subjects. Like the latest mass shooting thread in CA just became an excuse to accuse Trans people or having mental problems.

• Administrators Posts: 13,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Posters reporting "what they don't like" won't result in moderator action. Unless the poster breaches the rules of the forum. There are hundreds of posts reported every single day. Not all of them are actioned.

A poster who repeatedly reports posts "they don't like" will be (and have been) pulled up on it and told to stop abusing the report feature.

• Advertisement

I report almost every racist or transphobic post I see but the problem is that the vast majority of it is coded with dog whistles, or “just asking questions,” or any other veiling tactics that I think it’s too much cognitive overhead to ask for the moderators to sit and unspool all of it. “I’m not a transphobe I just demand people to justify Tavistock in every thread I post in,” that sort of thing.

I think it would be a start for the moderation team to simply admit that there is a culture of bigotry on this site and move from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Actually @ Mods and @Beasty

On transphobic posts over the last few years, outside of obvious trolls how many posters have actually been banned for making transphobic posts ,

Roughly

I think current affairs/affair hours/politics may appear that way but if you mention political terms like say "Woke" outside of those forum, like in the films or TV forums you would be rightly mocked for trying to bring the American culture war BS into discussions. I think there are a group of prolific posters in those three forums that perhaps suggest the site is more right wing than it is, during the same sex marriage and abortion referendums the vast majority of posters in the related threads were left wing.

Those referendums were a long time ago now.

You’re right though that it really only seems to be After Hours and Current Affairs who are polluted with that kind of bile towards refugees, black Irish people, trans people etc. I don’t really venture away from those forums though.

I dunno about that, SV, the TV forum got big into it when that new ‘Lord of the Rings’ show came out, because of black hobbits and women characters, and the radio forum is pretty good for it a lot of the time.

But, on the whole, I get what you mean.

Yeah would agree that the lord of the rings show got a lot that sort of hate but compared to say Youtube comments section I think the views on shows don't always reference right wing talking points. I think the Tv and film forums have more harmless banter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

See, the thing is that while you're entitled to an opinion, you have to be able to debate that opinion. And you've no intention of doing so. Your post #62 does, to all intents and purposes, call me transphobic by the way. Too many posters just don't know any other way of engaging in debate than to throw an insult.

And to back that up, CGI then used the term transphobic/transphobia three times in a short reply to me - which bizarrely dismissed Tavistock as a "worst-case-scenario extremist examples". CGI has a long history of not really engaging in proper discussion on things.

So for me, there's problem posters on both sides, and that includes those who try to dismiss as "phobia", with no real discussion, things they don't agree with. That just leads then to threads like this where they can say that phobias are rampant - but what you really mean, by and large, is that opinions you don't hold are rampant.

It's hard to have sympathy for that view really. But that's what this thread seems to be asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't really buy that TBH, most of the Mods here are left leaning and if they don't like the opinion of the person being reported they probably won't be impartial in their decisions.

I see this myself in actions taken against me over the years but I'm not going to cry about it because this is just a site I use to pass the time for an hour or two in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This type of thing is hard to understand.

The Report button is there for a reason.

its not about whether people like posts or not. The Charter is there for a reason.

if content does not meet the charter, then people are asked to report it. The mods then decide whether it meets the charter or not, not the person who made the report.

by posting on the site, everyone accepts they have to abide by the charter. If they don’t, well, thats on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement