Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cupra Tavascan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Starts production the end of 2023. Will be VW ID4/ID5 / Skoda Enyaq competitor. Shown below here with new Urban Rebel (2025) and PHEV Terramar (2024).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nobby has a first look up now.

Very interesting car and if pricing is right I might have to consider it next year when changing the Ioniq 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I know there's a market for all that bronze gimmickry but I've never been a fan. They've really gone to town with that interior. Very Transformers, Dark of the Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Not bad looking, saw a few pics of it and there’s a bit of Lambo Urus in there.

But the bronze stuff cheapens it and that mid-90s tramp stamp Cupra logo is still really awful. At least it’s a bit interesting so that’s to be applauded these days.

It's copper, not bronze. And it doesn't cheapen it in my opinion. Each to their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"They call themselves rebels"

Didn't realise Cupra was based in Cork 😂

Nice looking car, I think in terms of motor power, charging and software it's a good indicator of where the ID.4/5, Enyaq and Q4 E-tron will be going next year

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's definitely interesting and as a cupra owner now I'll drop into local dealer when they have one for a look. My Born has a few quirky design features which wouldn't normally be my thing but the Tavascan is on a different level of design madness.

They are, in fairness to them, differentiating themselves from the other VW group brands.

However I don't think it would be for me, not a big SUV fan and even less a fan of SUV coupes but I'll be interested in having a look. Can see it doing well though

My 2007 Toyota Auris had a similar central spine thingy which the gear stick was mounted on

It was pretty handy because it gave some extra storage space which would otherwise be wasted

However, it's harder to see the use on an EV which doesn't have a gear stick. I see they put the hazard lights button there to give it some purpose

Hopefully they make something a tad more practical, like a 2 level storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It could end up costing €65K+ here. Can’t see a big market for a €65K Seat here. Tarraco was a complete sales flop here in comparison to the Kodiaq

I assume it'll be in line with ID.4 prices, so starting at mid 40s

And it's a Cupra, not a Seat. It's for the young and cool people 😉

Not sure how any of the young and cool people will be able to afford one though, doubt there's many folks in their 20s are looking for a family sized EV and have the cash sitting around for a deposit on one

So it'll be "the olds" with families buying them. I wonder if I get one does that mean I'm young again 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭joe1303l

OP article link hints at £55K STG pricewise The Enyaq Coupe and ID.5 are more comparable maybe and they’re well overpriced here. I’d still consider it a SEAT with a some nice copper bits added. It’s very stylish though in the same way that a Born is a much nicer looking car than an ID.3. Not sure you’ll feel any younger by buying one but you’ll definitely be poorer.

I think if you consider where car design is going today, super clean and minimal, Cupra is doing the complete opposite to that. Brands are going as far as blending their badges into the bodywork and reverting to flatter form designs, similar to what we might have seen in the 80s.

The head of Cupra has come out and said they are not a premium brand so the Tavascan should sit slightly below some of its rivals in terms of price. The Formentor has an interior similar to what you would expect in a Seat, albeit lots of copper to make it look "better." I haven't sat in a Bjorn so I can't comment on where they went with that car.

I still think the brand focuses on design above anything else. The interior looks like it is on par with the ID4, just with a little less squishy materials on the dash. What you'd expect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I really like the look of this. I wouldn’t consider the id4 or the others based on it now because of efficiency and the problems they have with hardware/software. This and the id7 with updated motor and software are touted to fix those issues. Only time will tell really.

I have a model 3 rwd and I understand that a higher up heavier car will not be as efficient but I need it to be a reasonable difference. I know a few who own the id4 and from what they tell it is worse than mine efficiency wise even with a 77kwh battery when using it in a normal way you would an ice car.

Worth noting that all of the MEB cars are getting the more efficient motor by the end of the year, not just the newer models

The new screen and software is still TBD from what I can tell. The ID.3 got a refresh this year so it might not get it, but the ID.4 will probably be due a refresh next year and might get the new screen

In terms of efficiency, you aren't going to get the same levels from an ID.4 as a Model 3, it just doesn't have the aerodynamics. What I've noticed is that the car can be quite efficient in warm weather, been seeing ~16kWh/100km in the recent warm spells. But I feel the cold weather performance of the ID cars is worse than some others, mine will be around 20-22kWh/100km in winter

The newer ID4s are absolutely fine and they are probably the most refined EVs you can buy at the moment for long cruises. I genuinely think a lot of people who are having problems with theirs, either own first editions or are overcomplicating how the car should work. The layout of the infotainment is good and it works, but things like voice control, sliders, and the app are poor so it's best not to get bogged down with these things and use these features to the best of their ability.

The ID4 has an excellent climate control system compared to its rivals so I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a problematic car in its current form. As the poster said above. A facelift should come next year with the updated software if that is getting people's knickers in a twist.

I've been speaking to a few people who were at the Tavascan launch and they are yet to be convinced it will be anything more than a specced-up Seat that looks good under the lights. The ID7 software is far superior both in terms of build quality, soundproofing, and software. Cupra is still a sub-brand of Seat so this car won't suddenly revolutionise the VAG lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jog501

Does it have a heat pump for the climate control?

No, but it actually keeps the car at the temperature you select, unlike a lot of rival cars. I'm not always a huge supporter of VW but even in Volvos silly things like climate control, automatic window wipers, and the like don't work as well as they should. The Id4 is a reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not a fan of crossovers but interesting to see the performance specs on this. Website says 286hp RWD model and 340hp AWD model. Also says 550Nm torque which is a big bump from the 300Nm.

Currently the best MEB performance is in the American AWD 265hp ID.4/E-tron and the GTX/VRS 299hp/460Nm.

I wonder if the upcoming ID.3 GTX will have the 286hp motor as there's no room for AWD in those models.

I don't know why people moan about the copper, piano black went out of fashion a decade ago and is still being used on cars to look premium. People made a fuss about the copper on the Born when there's a handful of copper accents around the car you barely even notice in reality, nobody bats an eyelid at steering wheel stitching or coloured seatbelts in other cars.

If it was a normal boxy car like the Tiguan/Kodiaq people would complain it's boring like a Golf. You can't win.

Piano black is hardly a bold fashion statement on a car. It's a cheap way to achieve a shiny finish that will be covered in finger marks the second you leave the dealership but it cleans up nicely.

The combination of Cupra and copper is all a bit late 30's gym dad. It reminds me of that trend of putting rose gold metal furniture in your sitting room. You won't see many architects driving a Cupra.

The Tiguan MK2 has always been a nice looking car. Admittedly the midlife facelift does look like it's been through Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Any release date or pricing info available yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"The Tiguan MK2 has always been a nice looking car. Admittedly the midlife facelift does look like it's been through Halfords"

A nice looking car if you have given up on life. It's about as exciting as butter.

The MK1 was a much better car at least it had style but then it all started to go wrong at VW.

It's almost like the VW bosses fired all the designers and just said let's build box's on wheels with no style at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The MK1 looks awful. It didn't sell either. The MK2 marked a huge shift for VW and it was their best-selling car for years. It was the first proper ramped-up small SUV in Europe and everyone wanted one. It looked great when it came out and dwarfed the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No not everyone wanted one. All the people who bought Hyundai Tucsons, KIA Sportages, Nissan Qushqui's, Renault Kadjars, Ford Kugas did not want a VW.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement