Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

The DLC goes on sale quite regularly and I don't think you need ALL of it. Been a while since I played it though.

Funnily enough I was going to post that exact pic but forgot to haha. It's so stereotypical I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

It's actually based on a TV special of My Little Pony that was aired in 1988 titled "wherefore art thou o pony'o?" based on Macbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Happy ZX Spectrum day!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Just discovered this game which is a throwback to arcade games like World Rally: Championship but with better physics and nice drifting action.

The soundtrack is the weakest though.

It's available in beta as a free demo on steam.

• Advertisement

Actually having viewed the steam page it's more than rally stages, it features circuit racing with other cars like Le Man's too.

Here's the steam page:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Decided to play some MSX games today and decided to play Knightmare. Then I spent an hour getting annoyed that bluemsx wouldn't play the game with the SCC cartridge and everything I did to change it didn't work.

Turns out the original cartridge didn't have SCC support but a later disk compilation updated the game to SCC so the emulator was working perfectly...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More msx malarkey. There seems to be an issue with the emulation for knightmare. The second boss just moves side to side and I kept randomly dying.

I looked up some videos. Seems the bosses projectiles don't render properly. So I tried the disk release of the game on the Konami collection release and this seemed to fix the issue. Very weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just bought the first one last night, it is pretty good but colour me shocked when I went in and thought it was going to be like Neo Drift Out and it is much more realistic than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Went to see the Super Mario Bros film yesterday with a mate and his Nintendo obsessed young lad.

Apart from the glaring omission of Bob Hoskins I actually really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Would rather the soundtrack relied more on music from the games rather than random famous rock/pop songs that have nothing to do with the franchise but other than that, worth the trip. Lots of fan service nods that weren't too on the nose. (tends to be one of my main concerns with videogame film adaptations!)

• Advertisement

I thought it was like all illumination movies, grand and played it totally safe. I think that's the worst possible outcome. It's just kind of bland apparent from picking out the references in the first 15 minutes and most of those are just the game name checking nintendo franchises like a F-zero sticker in the background. I'd have rather this was really good pixar level stuff or a complete trainwreck like the first film. None of the jokes really hit either. The princess in another castle joke was lame and they had a joke about the DK Rap but instead of doing the rap which would have been fun so only retrogame weirdos like me know the true horror.

Master of the Universe

The 1993 Mario Bros film is so off the scale insane that I think it's time we were due something a bit more middle of the road! I definitely groaned for that 'princess is in another castle' joke but I think that might have been the desired effect.

Animation wise it's leagues ahead of anything Illumination have put out before (which tbh I've always found very uninspiring and bland)

Be interesting to see how it performs in Japan when it's released later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

As awful as the 93 movie was it is one of the most important films ever made wrt visual effects. ILM were miles ahead of everyone else due to them making everything proprietary, pretty much all of the non ILM proprietary equipment and software used for digital manipulation were created for this movie.

It also unleashed John Leguizamo on to the world. The current Mario movie will be forgotten but Mario '93 will always have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm hearing very good things but personally not a fan of Illuminations movies, also not a huge fan of modern kids movies with the pop songs and crappy jokes although in fairness I am hearing that adults are enjoying this one. I'm fond of Pixar movies, the likes of Monsters Inc or Toy Story are enjoyable as an adult because it's not "hahaha poopy" humour.

The casting is certainly interesting. I'm surprised The Rock wasn't in this somewhere, he must have been busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Master of the Universe

😁

Two things I hate in modern kids films - pop references to other films and modern pop music being used. Basically things that won't really stand the test of time and kids of future generations won't 'get' it. The best, most timeless animated films tend not to do either of the above.

I remember the first time the pop reference thing really annoyed me in a big kids film was a Matrix bullet time moment in the original Shrek movie. Subsequently I started noticing more and more of that thing in lower quality animated films.

This film is somewhere smack bang in the middle between that kind of rubbish and top tier Pixar films.

Basically do as I did, go in with zero expectations and it's good popcorn for your mind.

Well I did enjoy it in a turn your brain off kind of way. It's just the sonic movies were way more enjoyable since they were more interesting and it's a crime that something sonic can be better than Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Went to see the Mario Movie with my 4 year old and I loved it. Part of it buzzing to be able to bring my son to the cinema for a Mario movie.

Animation was pretty top notch, I think illumination really stepped up for such a big franchise.

I posted about it on my instagram and a guy i know went to see it and hated it and was telling me why...... hes 42, has no kids, isnt a gamer. Yet he couldnt understand that he was the target audience for this movie maybe 35 years ago. End of the day its a kids movie, just IMO, but i still really enjoyed it a lot more than any of the Despicable Me movies. People we're saying Pixar should have done it, but Pixar don't do anything with already established characters and licensees as far as iI'm aware so it was never going to be them to helm it

For the pop music, I think every song i remember hearing in it is from the 80s. So its not going to age it anymore than it already could already. Plus Holding Out for a Hero is an absolute banger!

Lets not forget that this movie is also a giant at for the new Super Mario world in Universal Studios LA

Its been a box office monster anyway so I'm sure we'll be seeing a few more of them anyway

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's one of those films that there's a bit of a buzz going to see with a kid alright. Their enthusiasm definitely helps remove my comic book guy critic filter 😄

On the music front, there's such an absolute swathe of great songs to chose from in the games, it really shouldn't be relying so much on things like Beasty Boys and AC/DC. Those moments where some of the actual game music were used were some of the best parts, like the below Airship Theme at the start (mild spoilers, it's a clip from the movie)

That's the one area that I liked was the orchestrations of the original music. It was done really well and it kind of made the pop songs seem out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario Galaxy 1 has an incredible soundtrack and array of sound effects. It's better and much more varied than Star Wars for example. Hard to believe it's a Wii game. It's the best Nintendo soundtrack for me, although Ocarina of time and Mario 64 are really pretty special too.

Super Mario Odyssey as well. Nintendo really has some talented composers.

Actually I was thinking recently how bad western developed games have gotten with regards to soundtracks. They are all following the modern movie trend of having soundtracks that are basically just orchestrated mood pieces that you barely notice. I'd much rather a bit of John Williams - esque bombast with a running light motif through the soundtrack, Uncharted is a good example of this done right. It's been a long time since I've been blown away by a videogame soundtrack to the point that I just stop and listen to the track for a while. The last time that happened was probably Shin Megami Tensei 4. The boss music when I got to Minotaur was epic but the one that really got me was the tokyo world map music, it's still one of my all time favourite pieces of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

A great soundtrack never dates. Nintendo understand that. They can write it once and sell it forever and use it to sell other things and resusitate games and franchises.

I think John Williams is probably the real reason Star Wars is still popular and his music has given life to stale franchises so many times. You'll see that again with the new Indiana Jones movie ... Hopefully that movie is good.

I'd really love if modern movies went back to that john williams style. I mean when was the last time a movie had an earwig soundtrack that you were humming as you left the theatre? I mean I'd probably be shocked if you told me the current crop of marvel movies had actual soundtracks. I can only dream about what could have been done there with each character having their own light motif for each movie and then the composer having fun blending them together for the cross over movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

whatever you think about the mandalorian , the opening /closing score is excellent and gets me right into it and shows what shows and films should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

anyone use addresspal recently in the US ? any issues ,im seeing a different delivery address for something that sent to it that is 10mins away looking at maps !😂

Master of the Universe

Haven't heard the SMT IV soundtrack but V's is absolutely amazing, one of the best things about what was already one of my favourite games of this generation. It really makes the game.

Not sure when was the last time I would have said that about a Western soundtrack.

Actually I'm forgetting indie games, the Spiritfarer soundtrack really was something else.

• Advertisement

SMT5 has the same composer as SMT4. I think he is even better than the already amazing shoji meguro. Listen to smt4 Tokyo theme and tell me it's not the best overworld map theme ever.

As for indies, they tend to knock it out of the park in terms of soundtracks. Some great stuff coming from the indie space. I also love how all the classic game composers are getting jobs in the indie space. I found it equally amused and upsetting when at the start of the indie movement and they were approached by indie devs they were surprised anyone wanted them to work on a game soundtrack and surprised how people still liked their music.

Advertisement