Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have TeknoParrot installed for Maximum Tune 5 then discovered it also supports House of the Dead 4 and Aliens Extermination. Then it randomly stopped working :D

Was a bit disappointed to hear it doesn't run on Windows on the Steam Deck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm actually hooked on TeknoParrot. Threw a few more games on today....but Star Wars: Battle Pod in full screen?? Absolutely brilliant....I need a flight stick/yoke now!

You need to apply two patches to get the game to run fullscreen and without the 'dome' effect on the screen, but once you do, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That sounds really brilliant - do have to wonder will we eventually see immersive deluxe cabinets like this given the whole VR treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That's actually very cool, good sense of scale with it. I always enjoy seeing those home Sim setups, some of the flight and rally sims are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a fan of trucking, at least I wasn't.

Now, however, I am playing Eurotrack Sim 2 on the Steamdeck and I am loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone looking forward to the Lego 2K Drive game coming out next month?

I rarely get excited about games these days but this looks a lot of fun and being able to build your own cars brick by brick is class. I predict a lot of phallus shaped cars being built! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

It's actually a very relaxing game to play!

I bought a physical copy of American trick simulator also when it first launched for something ridiculous like £5 on Amazon but man, trying to drive trucks that with trailers that big and back them up is 10 times harder.

I must have a go of ETS2 soon with the Fanatec CSL DD, because it's direct drive you can have the same degrees of rotation as a real truck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was disappointed to find that I can't download the user made Ireland maps without installing all of the DLC first, which is quite expensive.

I'll have to hunt for a dodgy way to get the maps I need

I want to deliver bananas from Ballybunion to Ballina god damnit!

Master of the Universe

Gave it a go last night, bit fiddly to work out (games kept failing to boot until I realised it was a resolution issue, ran it in window mode which sorted it)

Eventually managed to get Afterburner Climax running, the menus were a bit messed up but once the game started it ran perfectly full screen - really is a sight to see.

Definitely going to see if I can hunt down a few more games for it.

• Advertisement

They should all run in full screen (they do on my 1080p monitor anyway, but if you're using other resolutions then it's possible that's the issue.) The After Burner game does have a display issue at 1080p while on the intro/attract mode, but as you say, renders perfectly in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is your username a play on Ponyo? As I keep singing the theme every time I see your name.

See CeX have upped their postage to 3.50 per item, charges get very quickly get eye-watering.

Yup. No fee on any single item over 100, mind. So there's that, I guess.

Sounds like the writing's on the wall so. That's madness to implement a per-item charge. I get it that weight/cost goes up as more items get added, someone needs to tell them it doesn't double though. Their old system used to incentivise buying extra bits, because you were paying for the postage anyway....but now, why bother at all (that's on top of the already shoddy quality control of products you risk receiving.)

They're the only game in town now, pretty much, with GS in its rattles and Smyth's not quite being everywhere — have a sinking feeling this might only be the start of their bullshit.

Possibly so yeah. I haven't used their postal service in years, not because of the price which was reasonable, but because of the sheer state of some of the things that arrive. If ever buying anything form them, it's from a physical store & I check discs etc at the counter before leaving. That said, I don't tend to even bother going in these days, my collecting habits have shifted significantly & I'm no longer obsessively thinking about "all the games!" thank god.

Same, handy for trading but do be appalled at the state of some of their craic. They're increasingly a last resort these days.

I think CeX's postage rates are to turn people off smaller orders, you could order a 25c DVD and pay €1.50 or whatever it was in the past and they'd probably lose money on it when you factor in the padded envelope, documents enclosed sticker, packing slip etc. Since they don't have a centralised warehouse if you ordered say 10 games it could be coming from as many as 5-6 shops so you're paying for 5-6 envelopes, packing slips, documents enclosed plus the toner for printing pages all day.

I'm just annoyed you can't click and collect to one shop, last I checked you could only collect from one of the shops per order. Customers can request stock from another shop and it's sent in the weekly transfers on Monday, it's too bad you can't get everything sent to one shop to collect for a small fee.

I wouldn't mind if there was a consolidated option, transfer all your goods between shops to the warehouse and send it all at once for say €5 from the central warehouse but a slower delivery time.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah good stuff! So it's a known issue with the menu and not my laptop being funky.

That's great news, means everything else I throw at it should run fine too. That's my weekend sorted 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's already started, look at the cash values of consoles vs the sale price now GS aren't accepting trade ins. €60 cash for a Series S they sell for €230, €90 for a PS4 Pro they sell for €270. I know they have to make money but buy in prices for this kind of business are usually closer to 60% of the sale price not 25-30%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So lets just say today is pay day and I want to get a retrotink 5X. Where is it shipped from and how likely am I to get absolutely reamed by customs?

Master of the Universe

It's coming from the US if I remember correctly and I have yet to hear of a single person who has not been stopped and charged customs on it.

Actually couple that with the recent 'improvement' to Irish custom's ability to charge you for anything from outside the EU and I think we can safely say you are 100% guaranteed to have to pay it.

It was a lot too, think it was 70-80 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

I'll be getting something from the States soon and here is my plan as they're passing the parcel to customs.

Or list it as minus 100 euro value, so then customs pay me to avoid a deficit in the economy. I'll even send them a few warning notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've given up on using the standard direct US->IE shipping by default, for anything high value'ish. I now always see if I'd use a forwarding service, if the direct ship Vs. forwarder costs are close - I'd use them. I'd then also have an option to say slightly under value the item when its being shipped by the Forwarder and save on customs :D Yes, its bold and if it gets damaged/lost I'd not be covered for the true value but sometimes I'd just take that small risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

US via DHL judging from an old mail with my original order. 70.25 blips alright on the customs of which DHL can be quite on top of, so it's certainly worth counting it in the total outlay. Even if VGP got them on hand over here (not sure they ever had more than an initial shipment), you're still looking at 360 or thereabouts.

Pricey item, but worth it overall. If that Retrotink 4K ever comes out, it probably won't be so bad in comparison.

I've seen a bit of chatter about the Retrotink 4K on Twitter lately from the developer, but seemingly it's two years out, if not more. It'll ONLY support a 4k container too from what I understand, as apparently supporting other resolutions is one of the big (development) headaches with the 5X.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye. Current FPGA cost for the new development is a stumbling block as well, especially for a relatively niche item.

Hard to see any chance sub 500 quid even down the road if it ever emerges. The 5X does an excellent job on the systems that are in dire need of it in any case, but there's obviously some inherent benefits with a ready made solution for modern 4K devices, even with better options around filters etc.

• Advertisement

How is it on the Deck? I put off buying it as I wasn't sure how the UI would look on a smaller screen, from what I remember there's a lot of menus for planning and managing jobs.

In saying that I'm always surprised at how good stuff looks on the smaller screen.

Advertisement