Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

" Pregnancies of this sort were routinely concealed from family and medical professionals alike."

A case I'm aware of where a young woman, early 20's, put on a bit of weight and was sent away to "stay with an aunt" for 6 months.

She gave birth to a child who was taken away " to be cared for" 2 days later she was told her baby died. Her daddy came to pick her up.

She went back to work and life went on, she never married or had any more children. It was never mentioned again.

Until she died in her in her 60's. She was outlived by her 2 older sisters who it turned out knew about her 'sin' almost from day one.

A 17 year old concealing her pregnancy from everyone while staying at home is hard to believe.

Was she living at home? Was she still at school ? Did she drop out of school? Did her friends wonder about her?

She had an older brother, was he living at home? Other siblings, sisters? were they older than her? Were they living at home?

In 1984, especially after charges against Joanne Hayes were dropped, people would have begun to wonder.

This was huge news, nationally and internationally and gossip and rumours would have been rife.

Or maybe Baby John's mother was sent away to "stay with a relative" for 6 months and came back with unwanted baggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Possible. But only one. And not necessarily serving in the district at the time . Only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd say very probable as opposed to possible.

They lived with the lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭phormium

While it can obviously be hard to conceal a pregnancy at home it's not impossible. Knew someone whose daughter arrived into her bedroom Christmas Eve and said I'm having a baby as in right now! They never suspected a thing and baby was born full term same night.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I went to school in the early 90's with a girl who successfully concealed her pregnancy right up until 7.5 months. Most of her year knew she was pregnant months before but nobody said a word to any adult.

There was lots of finger pointing between her parents and the nuns at the school as to who should have spotted it when it was eventually spotted. She was the first pregnant girl that was allowed to keep attending the school for classes. Previous pregnant students had to study at home for fear that we'd all see a pregnant teen and would all want a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sure the nuns probably thought you could "catch the pregnant" from staying too long in the same room as her...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Maybe they don't. I only came here to suggest that people evaluate their theories in light of known or extremely likely facts. Any theory that starts with a maybe, needs the maybe proven first, or it's a castle built on sand. For me the simplest explanation fits the facts best. The more people that know something the harder it is to keep it secret. I think very few people knew. Possibly as few as two, unlikely more than 4 in my opinion.

"They lived with the lie."

Tormented enough by the lie to desecrate the grave and take a sledgehammer to the gravestone?

A hell of a risk to take if it's the case, maybe didn't have too far to go carrying the sledgehammer?

If only the tide hadn't brought the child's body up onto the beach! If only 'twas done differently! 35 odd years of that would drive you to drink.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't get the "probable" on this theory at all.

Statistically, it's far more likely that it was post-partum infanticide linked with psychosis.

We know who the parents are for certain now, and the brother wasn't one of them.

It's certainly a possibility he assisted in the disposal of the poor child's body to help cover up the incident, but we have nothing to say it's "probable" he killed the child.

But the person who damaged the grave might be some unconnected nutter?

I personally never assumed it was a family member

It's quite clear reading between the lines there that you have formed an opinion on what happened, and who was involved. Plausible. But bear in mind that it's damned unlikely someone walked to the graveyard with a sledgehammer over their shoulder, if it even was a sledgehammer..... You could carry one a long distance in a car...

And as regards the tide bringing the corpse "back" in it may not have entered the water at that spot to come back there.

When the papers reach a dead end on this, I've no doubt that stories will emerge, and be published with confidence, safe in the knowledge that you can't libel the dead.

I was only referring to knowledge of the event. I was not suggesting he had any direct involvement in the death of the baby.

He probably had the information to spare the Hayes family what they went through

Post edited by Xander10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Strange how the gardai have gone utterly silent on this now.

Not even a scintilla of a leak.

What are they waiting for?

Or is it a case of Blue Glue?

I've said as much as I'm going to say. Some people have made their mind up on this, some remain open minded. I doubt there ever will be a prosecution . No definitive truth will emerge, and speculation will go on for years .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Gone very quiet alright. Whatever about the killing of the poor child and the prospect that the person responsible is deceased, there must surely be others associated who knew or deeply suspected and who kept quiet while the Hayes were put through the wringer. For me personally, that is the greater sin. The killing of the child could have been a moment of madness, deeply regretted afterwards. But keeping schtum and letting others take the rap took deliberate thought at the time and over the years since. Shame on them forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree. There are 2 separate crimes here.

• The murder of baby John - which the parents may or may not be guilty of. I believe we will never know the truth here.
    • The keeping quiet for 39 years and allowing another womans life to be ruined. There are no excuses for this. There should be consequences for them.

"unlikely someone walked to the graveyard with a sledgehammer over their shoulder, if it even was a sledgehammer..... You could carry one a long distance in a car...."

And park your car at the gate of the graveyard in the dead of night? You'd be quicker walking anyway.

About the tide bringing the corpse "back"; I've edited my post now to reflect the fact that it might have gone into the sea elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Field east

Would throwing it overboard be a safer option re not being seen,. Stopping a vehicle to throw something ‘over a cliff’ is not without a risk of being seen

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends where you are walking from, and what you might be driving!!! If of course you could drive. You have clearly formed an opinion on this.

Maybe both things are possible. Driver drops someone off and picks em up later ??

We'll never know I reckon. There were lots of hard core catholics who would have an issue with an unbaptised baby on consecrated ground.

And speculation that the desecration stopped when a specific individual died is flawed. Lots of other people died between the last incident and the death of said individual.

I'm willing to separate the two on moral and legal grounds. And indeed we need to be clear-eyed and to separate the two.

On bullet point number 2, the persons responsible for the reprehensible treatment of the Hayes family, are the agents of the state and them alone.

The obscenity of the treatment meted out no doubt fed-into the willingness of the couple to maintain their silence. And *if* - as I'd hold is most likely - the death of baby John was the result of a mentally unwell young mother, who really could seriously blame the couple or wider family from closing-ranks?

It's worth trying to imagine yourself in other people's shoes for a moment, and entertain that the silence was a somewhat understandable (if desperately misguided) attempt at self-preservation in the face of a nationwide media frenzy and moral panic.

"On bullet point number 2, the persons responsible for the reprehensible treatment of the Hayes family, are the agents of the state and them alone."

and hopefully an agent of the state didn't remain silent and pervert the course of justice.

"who really could seriously blame the couple or wider family from closing-ranks?"

I would imagine carrying the burden of that secret and knowing the trauma you were inflicting on a totally innocent family might have been a greater life burden. I find it hard to sympathise with the family on this part.

I would imagine carrying the burden of that secret and knowing the trauma you were inflicting on a totally innocent family might have been a greater life burden. I find it hard to sympathise with the family on this part.

A bullheaded Garda goon squad accustomed to knocking around irregulars and bank robbers were responsible for the trauma visited on the Hayes family, not anyone else.

I think you need to separate the two wrongs in your mind.

Once again, we simply do not know the circumstances around the death of the baby, who did it, and why.

I've given my assessment on the likelihood of what happened. It's sober-headed and realistic, and if the reality resembles that, I'm less willing to condemn. The pitchforks would have come out for the woman just as they came out for Joanne Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Deeec

Im sorry I dont agree. I think this couple should face some consequences for their part in this. The message that it is ok to cover up a crime in order to maintain social appearances would set a very dangerous precedent. They covered up the murder of their child! Whatever the circumstances of Baby Johns murder this couple would have had to have known that this was or could be their baby and they kept this a secret. It would seem they had no intentions of ever revealing it. No interntions whatsoever of giving baby John an identity.

Also if they had come forward there would have been no ''witch hunt'' of Joanne Hayes, no so called tribunal and Joanne Hayes and her family would have led a completely different life. Yes the gardai were to blame but this couple had the power to stop this.

I am not saying they should go to jail but there should be legal consequences for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Could be anyone offended by the lack of justice for baby John and the undertaker's crass decision to add the "I forgive" inscription to the headstone, I mean WTF does he think he is?

When the inscription stopped being replaced the attacks stopped.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I don't believe any women suffering a severe case of postpartum has been treated with anything other than compassion in Ireland, let alone flung in jail for same.

There were medical people and Garda authorities outside the local district they could have liaised with at some stage to right the wrong. Like I say, at some stage, after the rawness of what happened and time for calm reflection.

No one is looking for pitch forks.

Personally, I could not have lived with the lie especially insofar as it affected innocent parties.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

This is the man who was one of the first on the scene, who “named” the child John, placed a headstone and tended the grave.

It appears this man showed more kindness and compassion to John in death than was shown to him in life. The inscription may have been misguided but frankly your ire towards him is completely undeserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭juno10353

This man has shown love compassion and care for baby John from the very start. He gVe jhim his name, provided and maintained his grave and headstone. He ensured this baby was cared for in death, if not in life. We owe him a huge thank you on baby Johs behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well I can put put myself in their shoes and I'd feel utterly shamed and rotten to the core, morally corrupt to keep quiet on such a matter whilst watching others take a battering. You'd have to be morally corrupt to think otherwise I think.

Advertisement