Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements

Options
  • 11-03-2023 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

With the value of entitlements going down would it be good time to buy them?

Or rent them?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Will Ireland beat Scotland in the rugby? We could ask Mystic Meg but she died during the week!

High value entitlements are coming down in value but low value ones are drifting up. Add in the eco-scheme, front loading, and digitisation of areas/parcels, and there’s lots of moving parts.

Every farm will be different. I’m in the market for around 5 additional entitlements but whatever I do or whatever I pay for them might not make sense for the next lad.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone here leasing or buying in entitlements this year - what are the prices like ?

Looking to take in some myself but don't know whether to lease or buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Herself was saying she had a client bought some a few days ago for 2.6 times their value. I can't remember what they were worth but assume not awful high value at that. Have space for 20 myself.

Yeah was doing a bit of research today and looks like best bet ones to buy are near or below national average so they won't lose value over the next 5 years but open to opinions in that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

She said those one were worth 109 base value but you've the criss and the eco on top of that aswell. Actually doesn't seem like bad value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You will get paid eco without on complete farm without any entitlements therefore it's not a top-up. If you have a single entitlement you will get paid CRISS on first 30HA or part thereof so it's not really a top up either

You are paying for the BLISS part only

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Conversations 3

I'm confused a bit by entitlements, is there any info or a general outline of entitlements out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I am trying to figure out the value to a Young trained Farmer of leasing land to get entitlements ? Isn't the price of leased land higher than the value of the entitlements? Are Young farmers still leasing land just to get the entitlements ?

Thanks

Any update on trading price of entitlements ?

I'm holding off buying them with the hope price will drop as we get nearer the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

I spoke with an adviser recently he was only offering 2 times their value to sell and about 55 percent of the value to rent, anybody know what entitlements are going for rent wise this year? Also am I correct in saying that in the last few years entitlements went for 3 times their value on occasion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Tileman

Bought some about 5 years ago and they were 2.5 times the money. Allot were 2.7 over past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

I leased in 21 last year, looking for similar again this year.

Its rented ground but I'm thinking of buying 10 and maybe leasing in the rest. Anyone know what's the best value to go with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If I understand things correct, once you have 1 BISS entitlement you can claim Greening and CRISS on up to 30 hectares. With the way Entitlements have been broken down now the majority are now worth less than €200 per entitlement for BISS and reducing for the next 5 years. So I would be assuming entitlements would be leasing for less than €100 each and sell for around €200 each.

You are only leasing the Bliss part so 50% of that would be the max

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm looking to buy 4.5 and spoke to two different brokers in recent weeks.

One was ready to rock on the spot, with 2.7 times the value and value of €210 as far as I remember. He claimed they wouldn't reduce in value much over the next few years. Which is probably true.

The other was more steady and said things would become clear in the coming weeks, with prices of 2.1 to 2.2 for €200-ish entitlements. This is pretty much what @Bass Reeves said on here recently.

I'm phoning the second one back next week.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭morphy87

Is anyone leasing land here with entitlements where you have to draw down the entitlements and give them back to the landowner? With the new cap starting this year how does this work? I presume the landowner gets the bliss and the person farming gets the criss and eco scheme? Is this official? If so has anybody any issues exsplaining this to the landowner?

There is always a problem explaining everything to lads leasing. Even though it's tax free they still will try to get you to farm for nothing

Slava Ukrainii

Would I be correct In what I am saying? So how would be the best way of going about this? Maybe tell him to have a chat with his teagasc advisor about the issue and see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Officially the entitlements value is only the BLISS.

Whatever arrangement you come to with the owner to lease the entitlements is up to both parties. One might think a fair arrangement would be a percentage of the value but some owners think 100% is fair.

At the end of the day you have to count whatever you give the owner as cost of renting regardless of how they want to structure it.

But if let’s just say his entitlements were €100 an acre what are they worth now when you break them down into bliss, criss and the echo scheme?

if you were drawing down his entitlements and giving him back 100% of the bliss would this be fair or would he be entitled to look for criss and echo as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Jack C

It could be interpreted that greening which was probably included in what you gave back, is replaced by the eco. So would the landowner expect this back? Or maybe the farmer can claim he has to incur expenses in claiming it.

Criss cannot be considered as part of the entitlements as it only payable on the first 30 HA therefore for a lot of lads leasing they will use this up on there owned land.

Eco is depending on the way you farm. There is tasks unless you have 10% of the land with eco features. If there is it's not farmable land do you should be deducted it from rental area

After that the Bliss is left. IMO you should just be doing a deal on what it worth to you. I see a significant attempt to rise rental costs this year and I am not sure if they will be viable in a year or so

Slava Ukrainii

So if farming more than 30ha you can’t draw down criss for the land owner

If undertaking eco schemes the land owner would not be entitled to this either

so all they are entitled to is the bliss payment?

You made a point on land rentals prices, it’s gone mad back my way, grazing land making from €500 an acre up to €630, it can’t last, I was speaking to a tillage man that takes a lot of con acre and he said a lot of landowners want a significant rise next year, what they are looking for it won’t pay him to sow crops

There's no need to over complicate it.

You are leasing the entitlements and the land, what does the owner want for all.

If the entitlements were worth €100 and say rent was €500 per hectare the owner probably still expects €600..

The value of the entitlements are now less so in effect the land rent goes up to balance it.

If you have a deal where you draw entitlements and pay them to the owner does that mean you don't pay until you receive payment from the department. From a cash flow perspective you might be better off saying the entitlements are still worth €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

Buying 101 euro value entitlements for 2.3 times value. Wouldn't see the point in leasing.

its the first time the land owner is setting there place, the landowner named there price and said the entitlements have to be drawn down and handed back at the end of the year, they never said how much the entitlements are worth so does this leave a question over criss and the eco scheme?

It depends on what the owner thinks their entitlements are worth. Face value it's only the BLISS.

The CRISS and Eco are more similar to ANC as they are area based and not directly linked to entitlements.

Were ya tempted to go for higher value ones closer to the national average

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

No, thought the lower value ones were a better deal due to convergence.

• Advertisement

From my understanding the lower value ones may rise slightly but will not reach the national average by the end of this Cap.

Would that be right ?

Advertisement