Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x09- 'Vox' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Likewise. I've watched it about 4 times already! Sends a chill down the spine everytime. Least the tears have stopped lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

What the f*ck did Worf do to my Enterprise E?!!

But jesus, those last few minutes. Nearly brought to tears there. The old girl herself, and they even went to the effort to make a proper set for her. And yes…the carpets, the lighting, and Majel F*cking Barrett as the computer, as she always should be.

It’s ST:III with the Enterprise D.

I am annoyed with them cheaping out on the Borg again. Get some proper drones FFS. I hope they at least try with “Vox of Borg” and not just have Jack with black contacts and some skin makeup. Give us some Borg armor, lazer pointer on the head, the works. Also could have done with less silly dialogue like: “Collective, we have taken Titan!” Since when do Borg drones need ring into the hive-mind to let them know things? I’m annoyed by this take on the Borg. Too similar to those non-Borg in Season 2.

Nice to hear Alice Krige back as the voice of the Queen

Borg is a cop out alright. Profits Vs Pah-wraiths would have been class.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It would have been a better fit with Changelings also imo

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Suppose people are already giving out that they're basically ripping off a DS9 story.

This is basically DS9 season 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,664 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Also the symbolism of taking the Titans captains chair was stupid. No surprise seeing as Matalas was involved in Seal Team Borg.

Who they really short changed though was (pun intended) the Changelings. Set up nicely as big dangerous bad guys only to be relegated to smoke screen stooges.

Barrett was a lovely touch though. Nothing wrong with remembering the dead like that. Reminded me of when I used pass through Embankment station London.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Loved the end of the episode. But that is because it's old Trek.

The rest was the usual rubbish. Troi runs out in the middle of a session. Great bedside manner there counsellor.

Picard takes half an hour to get to the point when telling Jack what is wrong with him.

Jack runs off to the Borg. The security in the future is terrible. He can just grab a shuttle and turn off the transponder and he's gone.

Space feels tiny in new Trek (not just in Picard) . You can pop anywhere in a shuttle in a couple of hours (apparently). What's the point in having a starship?

Great that they're in the Entreprise D but what are they going to do against the fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes and also the "We are the Borg"

When was it ever said like that never. Its "We are Borg"

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭eadrom

I thought so too! But not the case, they have said "We are the Borg" -- https://youtu.be/c5rlAjuwdLQ?t=153 -- skip to around 2:33 if it doesn't start there.

She must have just emphasised the sentence differently this time. It sounded a bit off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

You know, just finished a rewatch there, and it just feels like rewatching a decent TNG episode you've seen a bit. That was a far more solid episode than I initially gave it credit for. Once you’re aware of the usual nonsense you have to buy into in Star Trek and accept it, it’s a pretty fun ride!

The cube looks properly intimidating, really menacing and banged up. The CGI of most of the ships was top notch, but they obviously really spent a huge amount of time getting the D just right. It looked amazing. And the story, while with some issues, is pretty damn fun. Yeah, Borg again, but whatever. Do it right (for once) and I'll give you a pass...after next week.

You do have to laugh at the idea of Geordi doing up a bloody starship as a secret hobby for two decades. It’s not like trying to hide renovating a car like. How do you negotiate that kind of secret storage space in a contract!

I'm hoping they don't leave Shaw die, that would be a shame, but yeah, memberberries, whatever. Nice aul episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ended up being spoiled by the reveal of Shaw's death before I had a chance to watch this and was in mourning all day. FFS.

Okay episode. Disappointed it's the Borg again. Did enjoy seeing Shelby again, I hope they haven't killed her off. Was fun seeing the D again and actual set lighting! Realised at the end it was the first time actually being able to see the detail on the uniforms.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I was thinking Shaw is great with the phaser and also in great shape, pretty cool haircut ….a fine captain… and then boom DEAD !!! Star Trek finally made another interesting captain… and he is now dead

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The show was filmed ages ago - I doubt they anticipate how much people would like Shaw. What's more annoying is if they had wanted a death, and not the original crew, the assimilated crew could have just shot a little to the side and taken out Raffi. Everyone's a winner...

Can't say I also wasn't disappointed it was the Borg but it did fit in well enough with everything we've been presented with so far. It'd have much more of an impact if the Borg hadn't featured in the last two seasons. They diluted it a lot.

And of course the original Enterprise, where lighting is actually allowed. Nostalgic and makes little sense in many ways, but I don't care. It's the -D again and that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Shawwwwww Noooooooo….

I really enjoyed that, this season has been great fun… For me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I want him to impregnate me with his babies too

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Shelby is surely dead. She got 2 of those disintegrating phaser bolts to the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

<sigh> Borg

I'll get my coat! 😁

Anyway ...

I would have thought when the Ent-F emerged, they would have also had NX-01 in formation or at least on show, as Shelby did reference it in her spiel while emerging from Spacedock. Don't these future types not know how to commemorate things properly. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I thought one of the ships in the "formation" was a Galaxy Class on first watch, but it has funky looking nacelles and not a smooth saucer section, so I'm sure one of you will be able to say what type it is:

I had that sinking feeling during the firefight on the maintenance deck that Shaw might take a mortal wound. I really hope we get some miracle cure. He was quite the breath of fresh air as a character.

I had a little quiver run through me as the D was revealed, but I feared the poor lighting fairies would strike ... but NO! It was the properly lit D bridge! So the memberberries were strong when that happened.

@horgan_p Only way to top it is if they split off Worf into the Defiant, and Janeway and seven take Voyager.

Can't resist 🤣:

Speaking of Janeway ... Picard's Borg were always pretty tough baddies, but they ended up being wimps around Janeway! So will the admiral, oft mentioned but not seen yet, show up and put an end to this devilish plot? 🤔

As others have mentioned, there are a LOT of plot-holes in this, but we're trekkies, so we're used to that kind of thing. 🤓

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of a far better season than the previous two.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The last 10 minutes was genuniely lovely.

Otherwise though - this writing staff are absolutely horrendous for tying themselves up in knots, and introducing far far far more random nonsensical plot elements that they completely don't need. It's like they have zero faith in themselves to just take a decent narrative concept, and let it breath, and sit with the emotion and characters. Everything about this season - just like the previous ones - has been a million times more convoluted than was necessary, it's just been a better broad concept which has made it better than those.

They're also horrendous for just stealing ideas from really big famous IP. We're basically now into the start of Battlestar Galactica, with the Borg assuming the place of the Cylons, taking control of all the networked ships, with the older tech Galactica/Enterprise having to lead the fight.

I was kind wondering this. As delighted as I was about the Enterprise D flying again, Voyager is a bit more advanced and well proven in battle, while the Defiant is an actual warship, built for a fight. Would have made sense to at least bring them along. Perhaps Seven & Raffi swoop in and help the Ent D during the final battle using Voyager?

Going to guess that only had the budget to rebuild one of the bridge sets, and in a TNG finale it’s a safe bet which bridge should be chosen. They really did an excellent job rebuilding it.

Here’s something I’m wondering. Any bets on us getting a saucer separation in the final episode? And if they do, will they be cheeky and reuse the stock TNG footage of the D separating that they used in every episode where it happened (and in Generations!). I know it’s not needed with CGI, but it would be a delightful nod :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A class episode.

Loved data's I hope we die quickly line.

Watched it with my kids who didn't know who the Borg were. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

There two Borg collectives now after S2, they probably just added the "The" to affirm they are the original.

Speaking of the Jurati Borg from the end last season, that's a huge plotline left hanging.

With 1 episode in what's supposed to be the final season left, it's hard to see their spacial anomaly threat getting airtime, though those Borg are probably the only allies Picard has available with the entire federation fleet assimilated. Can they tie the anomaly into the Borg plot? You'd have thought Jurati's Borg would have recognised other Borg involvement in that anomaly.

Given the general delight and ratings with season three (that you wouldn’t know reading some posts in here) I wonder will they reverse their decision to finish this up.

Oh, I fully expect them to somehow use Jack to deprogram everyone. The Borg Queen is afterall thick enough to keep assimilating people who end up wrecking her plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

The show runners are pushing for a Star Trek Legacy spin off. Usually when that news hits the media it's being seriously discussed.

That'd be a win win for everyone. Not all the TNG original cast want to continue after this year, Legacy would allow the remainder to continue and the others could dip in here and there if they change their minds. Also allows involvement for the DS9 and Voyager crew. Could get a follow up to Sisco's disappearance in the wormhole.

Season 3 has 8-9/10 average in IMDB . Season 1-2 were far lower. I think most agree on the worst parts of the series.

I’d say this has been a solid 7-8 out of 10 season 3 with some great moments that even a casual trek fan like me can appreciate. Was watching bits with my son and he even enjoyed the episode on its own. I was explaining what little I know of both and he thought they were great.

Id agree they made a balls of the Borg in S2, but I like this new way of assimilation. Also hearing Krige as queen was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I hope not. Trek has spent far, far too long running around doing reboots and reimaginings set with previous crews and timelines. Realistically speaking the only really "new" Trek, as in new crew, new situations, moving forward in the timeline (ignoring Discovery and the 32nd century completely), are the two animmated shows.

A spin off from Picard with Seven and Shaw (please dont have killed off the first truly interesting new character), would be great. We are familiar with the period, you can have the odd cameo here and there, but I want something new, and new in its own right. Deciding to extend Picard would be a terrible idea and show up the complete lack of direction or creativity they have.

I’d second this. A new show continuing on from this with a similar (non-Discovery) Trek style, absolutely. A new voyage or story, either on Titan, on the Enterprise D with new crew (if she survives this) or something else. Hell, if Shaw is brought back (they’d better do it) and for some reason he destroys the Titan to save the day. Maybe they give him and Seven command of a refit Enterprise D and their crew go off on another 5 year mission? I’d watch that.

But yea…let TNG end. I think I remember someone mentioning what happens to “All Good Things”. It should happen to TNG too.

• Advertisement

I know some of you take your trek stuff very seriously but this season has been very entertaining even if it’s not breaking any new ground.

What is the best Trek television stuff since TNG? Dipped in and out of things but nothing really interested me to stick with it.

I found discovery very vanilla and it deserved the flack.

Advertisement