Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x09- 'Vox' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Borg and the Changlings!

Surprised the brain bugs from Conspiracy arent part of this anti Starfleet... conspiracy. They must feel a bit left out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It was... It was... beautiful! 😭

That last scene! Oof! Sooo good!

Loved how the whole activation of the dark ship felt like the search for spock.

Great to see Shelby again. I remember before thinking (maybe posting, I can't remember) that it felt crap how Elizabeth Dennehy hadn't seemed to have jumped off to some big roles after next generation.

This Borg feels a bit weird in that they don't seem to be prioritising the assimilation as heavily. Seems fighting has a pretty high priority there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is Annie Wersching still playing the Queen? This her final role?

Maybe someone needs to fill Beverly in on the events of the past 2 seasons since she believes we haven't heard from the Borg in over a decade.

I wouldn't have the same nostalgia as others but even I was happy with the big reunion..... with the carpet.

Good to hear Data being more positive.

Nooooo, not Shaw! Take Raffi instead! Liked Shaw after only a few episodes but Raffi isn't likeable after 3 seasons.

Was it really a good idea to broadcast the fact they were going to the maintenance deck?

Must watch the last few TNG crew movies. I saw 1 or 2 but barely remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Despite its ethereal look in this episode, the bridge of the Enterprise-D was a complete set build — from ceiling to floor — led by Star Trek: Picard production designer Dave Blass and art director Liz Kozlowski.

~~ https://blog.trekcore.com/2023/04/star-trek-picard-review-vox/

@odyssey06

Second, just how is a crew of seven going to operate the entire ship? Did Geordi build the replica strictly for presentation, or is the ship fully operational, complete with remote control for various systems that none of the seven people could handle? Maybe the final episode will expand on the extent of Geordi’s creation, but for now, the nature of this Enterprise is in question. It’s also majorly convenient that Geordi happened to finish this 20-year-long restoration project in time for it to be used in this way.  ~~ https://treknews.net/2023/04/13/review-star-trek-picard-309-vox/

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I was annoyed it was The Borg......again.

THEY KILLED SHAW! YOU BAST*RDS.

Remake a scene in E10 where he is brought back by Borg tech.

Ffs, it would have made sense for it to be the Pah Wraiths or even the Iconians But the Borg....

But at least the transporter assimilation by stealth was a fairly cool twist.

Other things to note...........

After the Protostar incident, Starfleet really went down the connection route again??

Hey Shelby, bye Shelby.

The entire fleet, in one location....really...

So the Breen, Tholians, Pirates or whoever wouldnt try something sneaky somewhere in Federation space???

Red Letter Media will probably have a meltdown over this...

Things I liked.

The Ent-D, sexy b*tch. Looked great and the reasoning worked well.

Ent-F looked very nice

Ent-E what did Worf do!!!

Some of the lines were brilliant in this episode.

Really liked the stealth assimilation, clever revenge from a broken foe.

So, we're the Changeling just mercs?

Or will we get more to that story?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Who was the skull guy ?

If it was the Borg what was the chopping off your hand to communicate.

The Borg transporter plot would be cool as a movie but as usual KurtzTrek gave us 8 episodes of shte only to flip the whole thing.

On the plus side Elnor served on the Excelsior 😁

Loved that episode, apart from Shaw getting it. The old crew back on the old ship, the universe in dire straights, hook it to my veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I haven't read any of this thread yet. Still on a high from the last 10 mins of this episode after the Borg takeover.

I've never really admitted this. But as a 13 year old, I cried myself to sleep on February 10th 1995 when the Enterprise -D was lost. Looking up at the big newspaper poster of her on my bedroom wall (it was a cutaway diagram of her either from the Daily Star or a Daily Mirror pullout). On April 14th 2023, as a 42 year old, I cried tears of joy as the Senior Staff walked around the bridge of the Enterprise. A few things looked off, but I've forgive Geordie for that, after all he did have to rebuild her.

Pity about losing Shaw, but on the other hand at least it wasn't one of our crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

They've left themselves with a lot to do to tie this all up in one episode but I'm still on board. I suspected what was in hangar 12 as I'm sure many did but can't say I didn't practically squeal when I saw it 😂

I can get behind there being something left in Picard from his Borg days, and I liked how they linked it to him being able to hear the Borg after he was severed from the collective. Although was their plan dependant upon Picard having a child? Or was that just an added benefit. Maybe things that will be explained in episode 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

Alice Krige was credited as the voice. Not sure if they reworked the scene to maybe edit out Annie out of respect and that's why the Queen was never visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I had that cutaway! I made my mam go buy it for me and remember carting it to the UK to show off to my uncle! Really wish I hadn't lost it as it was really cool. I'm presuming it was a blow up one from the TNG manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Rehashing the Borg for the third time isn't the best but maybe they'll do it right this time.

Bringing back the D was pretty obvious but she did look good, hopefully Geordi did a better job of automating it than Scotty did.

The transporter thing was interesting in the end, I thought they were going to quietly drop that question.

Nice to see Shelby again briefly. Her ambition kept up all these years she was a Fleet Admiral (5 pips), wasn't she?

With the confirmation of the Borg subtitle spoilered in episode 4 it does seem like a decent movie length story stretched out to fill 10 episodes. It wasn't all bad filler but a lot was unnecessary.

Having all the ships at Earth was dumb a line saying they were all the new system compatible ships would have been just as effective and older classes could still have been out on patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see how tey finish out the season.

The entire fleet taken over.

Have to think it will be something around Jack taking control of the Borg and reverting what they have done. Even if Jurati borg came back, you still need to revert the assimilation; otherwise wtf does the universe go.

Rafi and Seven are still on the Titan, aren't they? Those two against the entire ship? Can't see them being offed, so they have to win somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just can't stop watching this... 😯😁

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

also, i was kinda hoping for some more 'memberberries' and have Geordi/Bev/Picard/Riker on Enterprise, Seven and Shaw on Voyager, and Worf and Raffi on Defiant going in to battle in ep 10.

Too much 4th wall breaking. Lower Decks does that already and better.

The carpet joke is just lifted straight out of fan forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Considering all the fleet ships were connected to a central network, leaving them easily taken over all at once, it's a wonder the Cylons didn't show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I actually appreciated it. These characters/actors have been together for over 30 years and seem to be genuine friends as well. I'm sure a lot of the reactions/emotions when they walked onto that bridge (set) were genuine.

This is probably the last time we're going to see this group together and to have them on this ship/set for the final episodes is just outstanding.

You can actually see Patrick Stewart get into the moment from that "Make it so" line onwards - despite him apparently not wanting to get back on the bridge originally.

the ship was a museum piece, so restoring it to it's original schematics isn't unreasonable.

What was with the symbols the assimilated fleet ships formed at the end?

• Advertisement

I think that's just the battle formation.

Except for Data. I don't trust we will ever stop seeing him. We are on his 3rd goodbye now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think it was a symbol it looked more like fleet formations with the big ships at the centre and the smaller ships screening it. A bit like this but with the plane rotated 90° (carriers in the middle, then battleships and cruisers, and destroyers on the outside).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

While it remains superior to the first two seasons this episode is just a step too far for me. There used to be a dead horse to flog but it has rotted away and disappeared into the soil by now and yet we still roll out the Borg. One thing I have noticed, certainly based on posts here along the way this season, is that if you throw enough member berries at the screen most fans will fill in the blanks for any plot holes. The only time plot holes are unforgivable is if you aren't giving us those old familiars. I suspect most fans are loving this and good luck to them. I just think its a bit silly but then I'm not a true fan as I don't know the ships off by heart. I've always loved the characters and their stories in all of the shows and that's why I'm still just about enjoying it but if it was these characters in a well written story without famous ships from the past and less plot holes I'd be enjoying it a lot more. Someone above suggested they might explain in episode 10 whether the Borg depended on Picard having a child. Well maybe they will but why bother when the fans will explain it for them. I'm just waiting for the final reveal that the Borg are really changelings disguised as Borg (they can shapeshift into Borg cubes easily by now) but one of them surprisingly helps save the day backed up by Kiera, Quark, Phlox, T'Pol, Janeway and a cloned Khan with his pet cloned Porthos who have commandeered the original Enterprise and use whale song to force the changelings into their natural form.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

I liked when Picard tugged on his jumper after sitting in his old seat even though the jumper he was wearing wasn’t riding up and didn’t need a tug because lol remember when he used to do that spontaneously when he wore the old jumper that would ride up and then the fans named it the Picard manoeuvre so I like that he did it again for no reason. Lol.

You might not be far off with your plot twist.

This whole show was written it seems by a chatbot so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was it really a good idea to broadcast the fact they were going to the maintenance deck?

No it was stupid and remember thinking that too. How stupid coukd Picard be sure let everyone know where your going that's clever alright not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I noticed that too, and speculated to myself that his old comm badge wasn't connected to the Titan internal systems to excuse it.

He should have put up a post on Spacebook. No u25s use that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Advertisement

Gucking knew it. They better not actually kill him

Advertisement