Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x09- 'Vox' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 13-04-2023 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Picard 3x09- 'Vox' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was a blubbering mess for most of the last 15.

There is no way Shaw stays dead. None. They completely underestimated his popularity and I'd be stunned if they don't "Raffi had some crazy S31 tech" to save him (even if it's not shown on screen).

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Enjoyed the last 10 minutes but ach, mostly rubbish really. The Borg, again. I'd kinda assumed as much at this stage but still a bit disappointed. Find a new tune, guys! These old Borg just ain't what they used to be.

And Shaw? Ffs.

Yeah, seeing the D was "nice" but not a good episode, or plot development, or anything really.

And that bloody armada thing is stupid. Every ship in Starfleet in the same place? Titan zipping from here to there to somewhere else before anyone can finish a sentence?

Space is tiny. Starfleet is dumb. The Borg, whichever "version" of them this is, aren't interesting anymore.

Like it's not season 2 bad but it's not good either.

And Shaw?! FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow what an episode. Best ever.

Seeing the all the Starfleet ships however was something else and the big bad well I have to say I guessed it fairly early on but kind of blame You-Tube for that. Someone there had a who is the big bad video which I did watch but of course it had them mentioned on the front of it.

I have to say it was very well done and thought out too. 35 years ago.

Think Jack is crazy going there but anyway.

Lover the part where Geordie says to Data try to be more positive and Data say hope we die quickly lol.

That last 20 15 minutes wow. Loved it

Way to go Geordie.

Worf of course the dry sh-it suits his character do. Geordie shoukd have said don't worry I have made upgrades to them systems worf.

Can't wait to get this on Blu-Ray when it's out and watch it on a T.V :) just like the Original series TNG.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The last twenty minutes really made that for me. I'd agree with the above, the Borg aspect was pretty well flagged, and while the explanation was a small bit out there it did make a certain degree of sense that the Borg would also have a genetic component. I do kind of see why the dragged out the Jack storyline too much so that we don't end up with a season long Borg story that goes no where, like season 1, but still that reveal was dragged out way too much.

In terms of major problems, agree with the above, that fleet armada thing is pretty silly, I think it's straight out of the Armada games (or maybe one of the others). And the transporter DNA thing...Sure, makes a degree of sense that the transporter would have some form of reference material, but being able to fill in the genetic gaps like that. That's an even worse ethical dilemma that the original 'Do transporters murder people' one.

But man, F the last twenty minutes. If the kill Shaw off I'm going to be unbelievably pissed, but I'm sure there'll be some hand wavey way out of it. Maybe using 7's nano-probes or something. From a future story perspective that could be a good move, helping clear the air between 7 and Shaw over her being ex Borg, while adding another tension too.

Obviously the last ten minutes were the money shot. Not going to lie, when they powered up the D I got tingles, that was awesome! I really hope that from this season, and to an extent SNW, they've realised the importance of the actual ship to the show rather than the non-entitities in Discovery and prior Picard.

It seems that Geordi is not a fan of the new ship aesthetic. He kept proper lighting and carpets on the Bridge! I did like Picards quip about the carpets, the meta commentary by the old crew of some of the stupider aspects of new Trek has been fun this season. It was also nice to hear Majel Barrett as the computer again.

Of course now we have the question, if they could recover and repair the D, what the hell did Workf do to the E???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

All the emotions here. Anger that it was the Borg. Confusion about who is the current Borg queen ?

But that last 20 minutes. Oh boys oh boys.

Only way to top it is if they split off Worf into the Defiant, and Janeway and seven take Voyager.

But how many people does it take to run a starship ? Even minimal functions ?

Ms

Of course now we have the question, if they could recover and repair the D, what the hell did Worf do to the E???

Well Geordie did say they could not use the E as then the Borg could interconnect with that too so maybe it's in the fleet museum just not on show yet. Maybe Geordie had people fixing that up too. The D was their only real option as it was the only functional ship on the Museam. I must say I thought they might have taken the NX-O1 out lol or even the Enterprise-A but neither of them would have made sense but would have been cool to see.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Definitely not the Enterprise B anyway, torpedoes aren't being installed until Tuesday

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Makes no sense really.

Half of the D is newer than the E.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Maybe it's not. Maybe Geordie put it back together and built it with tech and materials just like when it was first built. I was hoping he would say where the secondary hull came from but he never did or did he?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

He did. The drive section is from another ship, he names it but I forget which.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

USS Ciricuse / Siricuse / Siriqus 🤷‍♂️

Can't find anything online

That was all kinds of awesome, lots of exposition in there too but the intricacies of the Borg plot are well explained

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

The shuttle arrives at the Fleet Museum on Athan Prime, and approaches hangar bay 12. Geordi knows they needed an older ship, one not affected by the new automation system. He had been intending this as a surprise, but decides there was no time like the present. Inside the hangar, much to the shock of Picard and the others, is a reconstructed USS Enterprise-D. Geordi explains that the saucer was recovered from Veridian III per the Prime Directive, so as not to influence the inhabitants of the system. He has spent the past twenty years rebuilding the secondary hull, including nacelles taken from the USS Syracuse.

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ms

No he said the Engines and Nacelles come from the Strauss-Kahn.

He never says anything about a secondary hull.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

What an episode.

I know it's highly unlikely but I really hope Shelby and Shaw survive somehow - not that it would make much sense but still; it was great to see Shelby after LD and Shaw is a personal favourite.

It's been mentioned here - but I have to admit to an emotional reaction to seeing the cast on the bridge of the D - is the bridge a combination of Season 1/Season 7 as helm/nav's seats look Season 1 style while the carpet and the rest is from later.

Definitely not Generations style/lighting though. Am very happy with this!

Also, if the entire fleet is there - what happened to the USS Zheng He and the other 199 copies of it?

Strange that Geordi reverted all the changes that were made to the bridge prior to Star Trek: Generations.

You might almost think they're just aiming for maximum nostalgia memberberries rather than any sort of in-universe accuracy or well reasoned storytelling. But no, surely not?

I think it's all fairly accurate season 7 style, including the seats at the front. The season 1 seats were much more inclined and had a headrest.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/enterprise-d-bridge.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I sometimes hope that they would mention that Riker basically bluffed with holographic ships.

• Advertisement

Also, if the entire fleet is there - what happened to the USS Zheng He and the other 199 copies of it?

@FGR Unfortunately after that action a soon to be demoted lieutenant pressed Ctrl+Z

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm admittedly disappointed that it's the borg again. We've already had the first two seasons of them, their recurrence almost makes Picard a one-note character, whose entire life consisted of nothing but borg. But I thought the scenes were well done, with a creepy undertone of the young overthrowing the old. The end sequence was predictable and indulgent sentimentality, but I still enjoyed it regardless of that.

I'd be surprised if they leave Shaw dead, they'd want him to anchor a spin off alongside Seven.

I'm a bit perplexed that the fleet museum has such easy access to the requisite antimatter for a warp core and spare weapons like photon torpedoes hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

I'm absolutely pissed off with that lazy useless writing.

The borg again ffs the pa wraith would have made more sense and added but to rehash the borg come on

Also take a ship designed for fighting take the defiant or the upgraded voyager.

I really had wanted more from this but alas rubbish

The fleet museum also seems to have no crew.

This whole thing is like the plot you would see in a simulator escape room game.

Cant believe we have Control II already.

Maybe I missed it but what was the shapeshifters plan again for the Borg alliance thing?

So, the shapeshifters who apparently have already infiltrated all corners of Starfleet and are capable of impersonating anyone they want, except for no reason at all any of our favourite characters, but they needed to ally with the Borg because.... what?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the changelings are just totally forgotten about in the next episode. I don't see how they can make any of that make sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Seems to be just for the sake of hurting the Federation, no matter what the cost/angle/method of doing so.

I don't think the changelings would really want to impersonate the more senior staff. Their goal is laid the ground for the borg stealth assimilation. They'd want to go for the nobodies with access to the transporters. If an admiral turned up and asked for some alone time with the transporter room, it'd raise some eyebrows. Hence why disposable no-name transporter ensign infiltrates the Titan, and doesn't replace Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't care..

Yes it's the Borg again, yes there's plot holes and obvious questions. It's the last season either way and Matalis has gone a long way to undo the damage of the first two with the latitude he had.

But the -D.. As she was/should be. On screen again in HDR. Lit properly even!

Fantastic!

Though I do hope that Shaw is somehow revived. Great addition this year.

This is just season 1 with more cameos.

The D coming back is a load of bullsht.

And Matalas was showrunner for season 2.

When I think of the new "Enterprise D"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well damn and I like the surreptitious takeover of Starfleet by the borg

Advertisement