Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is there a reason you want component actually? Scart for the PS2 and Wii with a decent scaler look absolutely lovely.

Edit - for 480p stuff actually I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS2 looks a bit naff through the framemeister, it handles 480i and 480p pretty badly and I've no rgb cables for the wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Atlus/NiS America doing a 3DS eShop fire-sale again (all between €4 and €8), running until the 27th/eShop's closure.

Culdcept Revolt

RPG Maker Fes

Stella Glow

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold

Etrian Odyssey Untold

Etrian Odyssey -

SMT: Devil survivor 2

Persona Q

Soul hackers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some good wiiu news

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1636791934608867338?t=0BshD1iI1Nwpod2bGqzn8A&s=19

• Advertisement

I wonder if this only applies to Wii U's that don't even boot to the OS. Mine in particular boots fine, but seems to encounter the issue when attempting to dump the nand, so I'm not sure if this will help in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hovering up the last stragglers on the eShop on the 3DS and I'm struck by having the 3DS and DS libraries in one place means you could pretty much play nothing else for the rest of your life and still have a great time. Just an insane level of depth with backward compatibility taken into account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm vainly hoping that my digital purchase of Metroid Prime on the Switch will be the last time I have to buy that game.

The inner me laughs hysterically at my foolishness, knowing that I will continue to buy it on every format it is released on, regardless of how much Nintendo charge me. :(

• Advertisement

Sounds like a very worthwhile purchase though, and not your typical phoned in/cash in 'update'. This is how it should be done.

Master of the Universe

Been waiting to pick up a physical copy myself, feels like something that deserves a spot on the shelf.

I did play through it recently enough on the WiiU so it might be a bit soon for anther crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I grabbed a physical copy from the Nintendo store. I replayed the original and actually finished it this time last year so doing Prime 2 at the moment.

I also was reminded I have Prime trilogy on my Wii U when I unpacked it to do a nand backup!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hey folks, I don't suppose anybody has a Dreamcast Modem knocking about that they'd be willing to part with?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭barryribs

I finally got to Level up in Limerick over the weekend with the better half and the young fella. Great set up in there and enjoyed by all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I keep meaning to make the pilgrimage considering that my Blast City machine used to live there. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭dav09

Fantastic to hear! Have a bunch of new machines arrive too tomorrow and a few tweaks to make before it's all finished but delighted people are enjoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice series of technical articles on various consoles

I give out about Edge reviews a lot but this... this is the worst review I've ever read:

I was so excited to see there was a new Castlevania game then I read the review and saw the score which made me completely dismiss the game. Then around 2000 I was reading more about videogames and everyone was saying sotn was a classic. However the game was now impossible to find.

Fuck UK OPM and the reviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Thats your own fault for getting upset about a 7.

• Advertisement

It was the only review I read of the game and it's very negative. And it was OPM. They handed out 9s like candy. A 7 from them was for garbage games.

I mean they gave the crash bandicoot games 9 and they were bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They probably didn't get the right bribe from the publisher.

An appropriate sum of money in a brown envelope would ensure both a double spread ad and a great review in that magazine

I know they shat all over the suikoden and MegaMan games as well for being 2D

Master of the Universe

From the comments I can make out from that scan, they're fairly scathing. Not even sure how it got a 7!

The oft maligned 32X is a console I feel was never really utilised to its full potential. A tiny library, with games barely worthy of the investment, it's an obviously well known flop. That said, where Sega didn't bother, the homebrew scene has...

Doom 32X Resurrection. A full engine replacement, and utilising the machine to its capabilities...details, resolution, colour, saving, you name it, all improved. I know I'm late to the party with this one, but I'm catching up on the new MLiG romhacks video (and the three years old part 1 also), and this jumped out at me. So there, there'll be no more 32X bashing....bash the developers & publishers instead 😛

Master of the Universe

'This is fast approaching Playstation levels of quality'

Bloody split screen 2 player AND console link functionality. This is absolutely amazing and something I've wanted to see for years, the 32X actually used to it's potential.

Something else isn't it? Compared to the SuperFX SNES version, it's actually amazing what the 32X could have done in the right hands.

So, who was at fault then, for the systems failure?

Was it because of Sega, or the success of Sony?

Did Nintendo somehow make it all look like a half-baked add-on with half-baked software?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭barryribs

I place most of the blame at Sega's door for it. The timing was wrong, the design was terrible, the upgrades from a marketing perspective were difficult to sell and they didn't get enough developers on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Definitely. A piece of hardware born entirely from the feud between SEGA USA and SEGA Japan.

Advertisement