Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension quote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I completely agree, it’s awful. If our crew threw that up, they’d be made take it back down and rebuild (well they wouldn’t anyways as they’re professionals). It’s unfortunate but people don’t care about the blockwork at all, it’s cheapest price gets it. More interest in the powder and paint than the structure. Then you hear about cowboys, in construction, doing people out of their money…. Well, as in all things. If it’s too good to be true it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Another contraction in PMI for construction and the first glimmer of hope as input costs come down in January. With more interest rates hikes scheduled for this year the cost of building will come down as the higher costs to borrow for buying or get work done with the interest rate rises is now quelling demand.

https://www.pmi.spglobal.com/Public/Home/PressRelease/40d6285607ed451cb1f40d6f927e95eb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry guys, I've been out of ireland since NEw year so apologies for lack of update/response.

Thanks to whoever spotted the lean on the upstairs brickwork - it was rectified

Ground/floor first floor are replastered, painting next week.

ground floor floors going down next week, kitchen to follow.

Sanitary wares going in next week aswell

2nd floor bedroom is the last "big" piece of work, it has to be plastered.

I'll get my wife to get some pictures next week.

Given our problem with the original builder, I couldn't be happier with our current on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

If you're Dublin based, can you DM the builders details?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Random question...I don't actually want to start a thread on it. Builders are asking for a fifty euro fee to just come out and look at my house and submit a quite for the extension I am hoping to build. Is this common in Dublin? I appreciate that there are lots of time wasters...but it seems a bit cheeky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seems reasonable to me. Know a lad that does patios he charges e100 to give a quote. Knocks it off the job if he gets the gig.

Gets rid of tyre kickers n he would have good ideas, cost saving tips etc from 20+ years experience.

Tell them to do one. I have 5 construction crews chomping at the bit to come and have a look at an extension I am building there is more competition and less work then they realize it might take another 6 to 12 months for the penny to drop on them. Wait 12 months and I bet they will be ringing you to see if you want the work done this has been my experience from a construction crew who quoted me at the start of the year and his price has come down by 5% when he rang me back.

It not reasonable at all. They come out look at what needs to be done and if they want the job they price accordingly. This is like charging a customer to have a look at the menu.

He reckoned he spent 3-4 hours driving to n fro, meeting customer, pricing stuff n doing quote. Diesel n maybe tolls too.

He had no bother losing out to another lad doing paving but a lot of them never went ahead, or got tarmac, decking etc instead. In which case they were just wasting his time. I think he had a fair point.

That is the cost of doing business, the person looking to get the job done gets zero in return for any fee paid. Anyone paying this are bonkers, work is drying up and there are more construction workers available. have a look at sites like Bark.ie that will have a pro nearer to you or the SCSI website for a general guide for pricing.

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/calculator/

Your forgetting the cost of the cowboy spurs this construction lad has to buy. As I say its like a restaurant owner billing you for viewing his menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

For those of you that got extensions done, were you able to stay in the house while the work was been done or was it a case of moving out and renting somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SineadMc80

Hello 👋 just reading thread. Also looking to buy and everything needs renovation of course. Would be grateful if you would also pm me your builder you used for South Dublin. Thanks so much, Sinéad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will post some pictures later, we’re just about done. And will ask the builder his situation on work

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

If you could pass along the builders details too please south Dublin based, if that works for them

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Great that its almost done!

Post edited by Scoopsire on

Couldn’t get upstairs today due to carpets.

Some of the pictures are a week or so old.

Construction still contracting now 6 months in a row and 9 out of the last 10 months have seen the PMI negitive. Keep holding out the next 12 months will force construction workers to drop their prices or hit the wall

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/construction-pmi

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Seems very reasonable, as there are quite a lot of time waters in the construction game

I know of several Architects/Engineers who also charge the same for a Call out/Quote

I called out to South Dublin last week(I live in Meath), chatted with clients for 2 hours, sent a quotation and answered some questions on email, all in probably 5 hours of my time and I've Not even received a Thank you email!!! Some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭jiminho

Not sure I agree. I would consider it an operating expense. You need to provide quotes in order to get work and get paid for that work. You’ll probably lose more than you win but the hope at the end of the day is your profit margin accounts for those operating expenses and at the end of the day, you/your company makes a tidy profit.

If you were to start charging for quotes, you’d probably be making a tidy sum just for estimating work. Using your logic above, 2 quotes a day at 100E each, that’s approx 40k/annum. Granted you won’t have that level of turnover but hopefully you see my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

I wouldn't disagree, it is counter-intuitive to charge for callouts/quotes, as I don't do it myself

But there are quite some amount of time wasters! Which can be soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's a 203 x 203 I'd imagine. I don't believe there is a 175 x 175 or anything close to that listed.

Edit, was referring to the end of the beam sticking out in 1st photo.

Not certain what the one over the rear opening is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m not in the building game but I have many friends who are - all of them are absolutely flat out with at least 12-18 months work ahead of them. Along with the governments recent announcements, I wouldn’t be holding my breath for any significant drop in building prices - there is still massive pent up demand in the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Theoretically charging for quotes will reduce the amount of quotes you do, therefore removing people who are not committed and give you a more concentrated pipeline of prospective work.

It could therefore cost less to do actual jobs as your dont have to waste time quoting for jobs that are probably not going to happen.

The other side is you may be losing jobs because some people dont want to pay. personally im looking at extending but i dont want to pay a company to call and give me a ridiculous quote and massive lead time that wont work for me

Maybe there is a role in technology to bridge the gap. Schedule a 30 minute consult by zoom where you can look at the area and give some answers and a rough quote, then for €100 or so you will do detailed quote and plans and use that commitment as a way to move forward.

Well I have had a half dozen builders out all quotes are now trending down the price I got this time last year to the lowest one I got is about 15% less than last year only one of the construction crews quoting was over last years quote I quickly told them where to go, 3 out of the other 5 have work on and the latest any of them can start is September and the other 2 can start during the summer June and July, the other 2 construction companies are able to start when I am willing to give the go ahead but I am now going back and seeing who can give the best price by playing them against each other. The pent up demand your seeing looks to have dissipated from what I can and the sums of this adds up to what I am seeing as - cost of living crisis + higher interest rates + builder price gouging = a serious contraction in work for the building game with regards to extensions. We can both give anecdotal evidence but the proof is in the pudding and point to a few metrics and real facts.

So with that in mind

Construction Output is down and this with a record number of new builds so the likes of extension and refurbs must be taking a massive hit if the new build output is up and has been trending upwards for the last 18 months.

Construction PMI shrank in the last measure and has shrank 9 of the last 10 months.

Irish consumer confidence is in the gutter for the last year and what happens when people lose confidence big ticket items go on the long finger.

We have just (IMO as we need 2 quarters to be in a real recession) entering into a recession first Q1 2023 shows a big decline in GDP so even do 1/4 of all taxes coming in is in corpo tax and this little well of money is and will be drying up as investment runs for the hills as interest rates keep going up and even with this huge boon Ireland is now in the negative when it comes to our GDP first quarter and guess what Q2 with another 3/4 interest rate hikes coming within that timeframe its not hard to see that we will be in a real (no longer technical) recession.

Just one of many sites tracking cost of raw materials with the exception of plasterboard the majority of all other construction materials have either declined or stabilized over the 9 to 12 months and from what I have seen prices are falling and the availability of construction companies seems to be on the up.

Post edited by fliball123 on

Moving in day today.

Garden fencing and granite counter tops are left to do.

I'm home for the first time in 5.5 months next week, so excited to see and find out what has been stressing my wife out so much..

In other news, the first builder we had, left the other person he was doing work for high and dry. He personally had been banned from the site a few weeks ago, and then his "brother"( not sure if they actually are brothers tbh) who was the foreman turned up one day and said they were all leaving as they hadnt been paid in weeks. The builders QS also called the person and said regardless of what he says dont pay him anymore money. He's in spain it seems.

Will post some pics when i get back next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

looks good.

as for costs, construction workers are in line for a pay rise in a few weeks. That combined with the fact there are fewer lads at it with every passing year means prices will not drop substantially any time soon. As for charging to price a job, why not, they spend their time and fuel to come and look at the job and price it, no one’s time is free, does anyone work for free? Didn’t think so! also, plenty of home owners are the biggest time wasters, so better off to charge for pricing than deal with tyre kickers.

That's the cost of them doing work if the job is too far away they should just say no to the customer and should only consider going for jobs that are within range if there are no jobs in range then they will have to compete for the business.

Also have you any evidence of a dwindling work force in construction or are you like others on here all mouth and no substance as the recent CSO figures would tell a different story - ye know some actual fact. 40K increase in construction workers in 2022 or an addional 31.4% working in the sector

CSO Data

So instead of you having a thought and spouting absolute garbage try putting some meat on the bones. It is obvious some on here have an agenda behind what they are sh1tting about. What we do know is that with rising interest rates and a cost of living crisis people who were in the market for an extension have been priced out of it and that is reflected in the construction PMIs and construction outputs. So now have more workers in the sector and less extension jobs actually been done what do you think that will do to price ??. The main reason why a lot of people have turned from potential customer to a tyre kicker is the gouging going on and the unbelievable prices some builders are putting on jobs. Sure how can you have a scenario where a builder comes out to price a job while they have work on and cannot possible do the job and they really don't fancy the job and its a small extension and being the hungry fecks they quote "a million to do it there lad, ye know war in Ukraine, price of materials blah blah" and when the potential customer says too expensive the builder can ask for a payment for pricing the job, Your having a laugh aren't you, the gouging going on is disgusting with out this going on.

Post edited by fliball123 on

I think a bricky must have scored an old flame on ya filibal -the hatred is real!

I don't work in the building game so no skin off my nose, but I've plenty of mate's who do n they are all flat out.

Look there's a lot of chancers in construction, always was n always will be. 10 year ago lads were working for buttons, as a result there's a big shortage of builders now n they are laying it on thick.

There was a 30% increase in construction workers last year- were they laid off for covid? No young fellas I know want to know about sites , if I hear another one say they want to be a p.e teacher or personal trainer I'll scream!

Ah nothing like has happened Enricoh, I just don't like it when lads here don't like official figures and a site like SCSI stating what prices should be and them trying to dictate a policy of you will pay what we want or else. The guys working in construction and in particular the extension end of things are facing into a serious contraction as can be seen by the figures I put up and with interest rates rising work in this sector will be getting a lot scarcer. I was going to go ahead with my project this year but in all honesty I can only see prices flatlining in the next 12/24 months. Its like property prices no one thought we would see price decreases with the demand out there but when access to cheap credit is limited by the higher and higher rates (next interest rate rise coming tomorrow BTW) this is exactly what is currently happening..

So just for transparency with regards to your question about losing labour during Covid the official CSO data shows that from Q2 2019 to Q2 2021 construction workers were down 13% or down by a little over 18k and then between Q2 2021 and Q2 2022 it went right back up by 31.4% or just over 40k more workers in construction. There has also been an active campaign drive to bring workers in to the sector from abroad from this time last year so I can predict that Q2 2023 will see another substantial increase in workers in the sector (but no proof yet) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭society4

i agree with you. Hopefully builders will be more realistic and people should hold off until these silly quotes stop…

Advertisement