Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i was hoping this app improved. I found it really easy to get lost in the guide. like i was travellig thru time and days, instead of defaulting to current time. anyone have it think its improved??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cmred

Hi. I have sky. Can't access half the programns on virgin media player on catch up tv. Any ideas? Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Any replies to the above post should be in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058289194/virgin-media-catch-up#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Hi All looking for a bit of advise!

Our Eir contract for TV, landline and BB is up for renewal 22nd April so I normally ring a month in advance to re-contract.

Been onto Eir in the last few weeks but it seems I am unable to renew with their old set top boxes Eir Vision, for which I am completely happy with. First query has anyone recently been able to renew their contracts and stay with the Eir Vision box? I half feel like it all depends on the agent who I get and so far have had no luck as I remember them been very pushy last year trying to get me to move to the new Apple box but eventually I was able to re-contract and ended up getting over €40 in discounts on my package along with free Prime Video, if I could get something similar again I would bite your hand off for it!!

My next query is with this new 3% CPI price increase coming in from April would it make sense for me to sort all this out by tomorrow, last day March and so I would avoid getting this price rise until 2024? Might be way off the mark there but would like some feedback here!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I'm told that eirTV is now available with eir on NBI Broadband. I cannot confirm with certainty, as it was via a third party. If true the online ordering system has yet to be updated.

• Advertisement

Sorry for bringing up such an old post just wondering is the additional refurbished box you bought a good while ago still working with no issues?

I thought we had landed on our feet as had to move finally from Eir vision box to new Apple box but they never switched off our old box and multiroom box originally so had it for about 6 weeks there but just this week they removed channels. So am now probably in the market for one of these refurbished boxes so would rather pay a one off fee than add I think it is €10 a month to my bill for multiroom.

Sorry to add to this I see you mentioned in another post a few years back that you bought refurbished box for 79.99, I am on the link that you had up for Eir store at the time am I right in saying they are now selling for 59.99? I am looking at an Apple TV 4K 32GB Refurbished - Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Yes - the refurbished Apple TV boxes are still working perfectly. I also recommended that site to several friends, and their boxes are working perfectly also. There is nothing to break down in the Apple boxes because they are solid-state and do not have hard disks like the legacy eir vision boxes or the boxes used by other TV providers.

€59.99 is a brilliant price for the additional boxes, and allows you to have multiroom eir TV for €9.99pm for the whole house. Each year when I renew my contract with Eir, they have renewed the TV and mobile discounts so TV & mobile stay at €9.99pm each.

Note that the refurbed boxes come with the original Apple remote, whereas eir now ship their free contract box with a more conventional eir branded remote. I suspect that a lot of their customers didnt like the Apple remote. You can also buy the eir branded remotes. It's not a big deal, and you can also programme the Apple box to accept any old remote that you have (such as the eir Vision remote), if you dont like the Apple remote.

Recording on Apple TV box is in the cloud rather than on a hard disk like in the eir Vision box. The UK channels allow cloud recording , which is important, as BBC iPlayer is not licenced in Ireland. However, RTE & VM don't allow cloud recording in Ireland, forcing you to use their player apps on the Apple box (and watch their ads!). I think Sky Glass has the same experience, and other TV providers will probably face the same issue if they upgrade to cloud boxes.

Yeah it’s similar on Sky Glass, although they did a deal for some BBC catch up content (as long as you don’t call it iPlayer -they’re touchy on that one!) so you can’t record BBC channels either. VM stuck with the hard drive in both U.K. and Ireland, despite the fact that Horizon 4 (TV360) supports cloud recording, to avoid such issues.

Thanks a lot for replying.

All positives really so from what you are saying. Must order one of them over the weekend and sure will have it made up in 6 months really if consider multiroom a tenner a month!

I have the Eir branded remote and is extremely easy to use so maybe when I order might make a note to see can I get one of these sent out rather than Apple own one if it is a bit harder to use. Will be very handy too so if recordings can be watched on either original box or say refurbished box all going well.

I love the Apple Remote, I do appreciate a lot of people hate it, though. One issue with using Apple TV as a platform for a service like this, generally, is that channel numbers are useless. Now TV has the same problem but a lot less channels than eir to cope with.

• Advertisement

I got two recently and they were actually new units in their original sealed boxes. We don't use the Apple Remote, at all. Each AppleTV is controlled from the respective TV remote. With the LG and and Samsung TV I configured the TV settings to go to the correct input on startup. Both TVKs came with a quality remote and Wifey is VERY happy with the setup. I presume the same is possible with the Philips, but I haven't looked at it yet. (It's a bedroom TV and we don't use it much.j

• Registered Users Posts: 49 biglad40

Anybody know how long the lag is watching rte on eir tv apple box to actual live tv v aerial or satellite

also I have bought the refurb box instead of paying multiroom and the tech department said in theory it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Is this still the case?

I use Google Wifi with the Virgin Media box basically in Bridge Mode.

If I replicate the same set up with Eir, will that mean I can’t access EirTV on the Apple TV?

I haven't tried it - but as long as you are still connected to the Eir Broadband line that is associated with the Eir TV subscription, then you should be able to use Eir TV. I don't see why using Bridge mode would impact on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

It's approx 20 seconds. Saw it myself this past weekend, had Kerry v Derry on the EirTV in one room, and on aerial connection in another and there the eirtv was around 20 seconds behind - maybe a little less.

Via apple or the eir vision box ?

The level of delay is not constant. I have seen delays from 2-3s to 20s, or more. Even the difference in delay between 2 TVs in our house, set to the same channel, can be substantial.

It would appear that any AppleTV will work, I use a total of three.

I don't have access to the technical details of the platform, so cannot give a definitive answer. However, I would be very surprised if your setup didn't work.

It would appear that eir are using a third party TV platform, similar, if not the same, to that used by some TV companies in the UK. It then comes down to how program rights are managed. The TV platform holds information about your subscription and what programmes/channels you are allowed to access, if any. That subscription is linked to specific devices.

With AppleTV, the TV Provider feature is used to log you on to the eirTV service. It would appear, from a rudimentary test and from eir statements, that such logins are only allowed from the eir Brodband network. When you use bridge mode you are still on the eir Network, so should work, once you have a valid eir Tv subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

I have eir tv and I was previously on eir broadband

Got sky broadband installed today, its working fine and lots of devices connected to it

on my eir tv apple box I entered the new sky broadband credentials and its connected to the new sky broadband wifi network

Prime video works and all other apps are fine on the apple box

However when I go to view Eir tv, it gives this error: "Due to content restrictions, this content is unavailable in your current location"

any ideas?

Did I hear something before that eir TV will only work with the eir broadband network

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jonnreeks

By the by, what do you get with the Eir TV package now?

And from what I have heard, if you haven't got the new efibre installed speeds, 1Gb minimum, then the Eir connection just does not work!

So many customers who took the Eir package, including the the TV option, have had so many problems!

😒

• Advertisement

eir TV on the Apple TV 4K box only works if you have an eir TV subscription, which you probably had as part of your eir Broadband bundle. If you have ceased the bundle, then you no longer have a subscription. The Apple box will continue to work for other apps, but the eir TV app needs a subscription. The eir TV subscription at €9.99pm is very good value, and it supports multi-room (if you buy additional boxes yourself). I find eir are always willing to renew this and their mobile subscriptions also at €9.99pm each year - but you have to phone them up to re-negotiate. Sky have introduced a similar product - Sky Stream - but it is considerably more expensive than eir particularly if you add multi-room, doesn't have as good recording functionality, and the box is proprietary, so you can't use it after you leave Sky.

so the thing is, I am still with eir for TV supposedly

it was only the broadband that got switched today

How is that possible, unless you have a second line? Eir only offer TV as part of a Broadband bundle?

yeah, rang the eir call center and they confirmed this

The rep in eir I spoke to a few days ago told me my Eir tv would work fine with any broadband provider 🤔

My multiroom refurb box came from eir. Great value for 59 euro. Few scratches on box but nothing u would notice or care about

He probably meant that you can continue to use the Apple TV box with another broadband supplier, which is true.

If you are within your 14 days you could probably switch back to Eir and get the full new customer discount? Adding TV with Sky is going to cost you a lot more than €9.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

Any idea which model of Apple TV and remote they are shipping out?

For the eirTV HD channels you need about 5Mbps, so eFibre is not required. We have 22Mbps and can watch 2 TV channels, even 3 at a pinch. It is barely sufficient for 4K streaming with a small (but noticeable) drop in quality when also watching a HD channel.

To subscribe to eirTV you must be an eirTV customer. An eirTV subscriber can register 3 devices (e.g. table, phone - but not an AppleTV) that can be used to watch eirTV when mobile. These devices can be used outside the eirTV broadband network. Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

See they've taken off the music channels in the last few days from the basic subscription 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They were never on the basic sub, Eir gave everyone a free month of the 'plus' subscription - but kept it very, very quiet for some reason.

Advertisement