Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

It would make sense to have it on Saturday and leave more recovery for the Championship 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,402 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Saturday at 19.30 is an absolute bollix of a time though for a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

At least Tipp had more supporters last night than they did for last year's championship game. That was the poorest Tipp support i can ever remember. Cahill/Bevans have got them playing a good brand of hurling now. It will take some time to perfect but they are definitely heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I know football is not the top of conversation in Limerick but that team is not far off us , what the hell happened this year Down their and why so many revolts even kinerrk left his post as an under age coach there was so much potential with that Limerick team when Billy lee was in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Think the beating we took in the Munster Final last year (which i expected) didn't do the team any good. The semi V Clare was a cracker but remember that Limerick got 2 goals that night which were kind of against the run of play. Clare could just have won that game, and were missing players. Limerick were on a high after promotion, which by and large was a fluke. We were not one of the top 2 teams in Div.3 but a combination of things like the right home fixtures, other results going our way and other teams injuries coupled with unbelievable luck saw us scrape into second spot. Our shortcomings were cruelly exposed by Louth in that Div3 final.

Word is (but cant be certain) that the same bunch who ousted Billy Lee did the same to Dempsey.

Clare are a step ahead of Limerick, if not 2 and should never have been relegated this season. I would rate Clare (with a full squad) ahead of Cork even, but a mile behind Kerry. A good bet for the Tailteann Cup this year as they are more than a match for anyone in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

david tubridy had the same story in the rte podcast , about billy lee , given the amount of clare lads based down in henry st on the panel it must be true

i was always led to believe it was down to lee not getting enough resources off the board ,and was the reason paul kinerrk left his role too but in truth i doubt it would have ever been a factor with jp helping out

it must have been a player revolt and a stupid one at that , billy is an excellent manager and so was ray dempsey to be fair , but i dont believe there is a huge diffrence between us and ye , yes we probably have better structures in place but player by player not sure , gordan browne ian corbett ,colm mcsweeney hugh bourke,and josh ryan are all top footballers , i believe rob mulcahey was the secret clare's success , collins nabbed him off the hurlers a few years back a serious S/C coach from UL

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Iecrawfc

All I remember on the terrace behind the goal was not being able to see Carey's winner but guessing it went over by the crowd reaction great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd say its definitely the same as last year's league final with a Saturday evening slot in Thurles especially as Mayo Roscommon is kicking off RTE's championship coverage on the Sunday, was actually worse last year as it collided with Ballygunner's dinner dance and them getting their All Ireland club medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Good weekend for the various teams, minors won last week, u20s on Saturday, seniors and camogie x2. O'Dalaigh has been the revelation of the league for me, had a great tussle with the tipp corner back and popped up for alot of out ball, not many thought Flanagan would stay on the team after the 18 league but kiely sticks by players as long as they're performing, regardless of reputation. It's a nice problem to have, will be interesting if he rotates for the final and gives Hayes, Hegarty, D Morrissey, o'donovan, Flanagan starting time. For me I'd like to see Coughlan, O'Neil and O'Dalaigh get starting slots for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭rjoe90

Really think O’Dalaigh has been the find of the league. A really dangerous inside forward who has serious pace and a clever step. He will definitely be pushing hard to start come championship. I would like to see himself, O’Neill and Dan Morrissey start the league final.

• Advertisement

What was the reason for the late change in midfield on Saturday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

DOD picked up a small knock in training Friday evening apparently, nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Any word on the grapevine of a confirmed fixture for the league final. Is it looking like Saturday evening in Thurles

Edit; never mind :D

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Surely this is an absurd choice. Most Limerick would prefer to travel to Thurles and nobody, but nobody, from Kilkenny could possibly opt for Cork.

I absolutely hate Thurles and we have to go there twice already.

Not sure why Saturday is out but Tipp are playing in Semple on Sunday so that's why it's not there Sunday.

Sucks for Kilkenny people alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

100% agree

Cork and PUC is light years ahead of Thurles.

Have to travel there 2 or maybe 3 times already this year

There are still some decent hotel prices available for the Sunday night.

2 great spots for food on the way to the stadium in Marina or Black Markets. Beer in the stadium if thats your thing and some of the best pubs and restaurants in Ireland after.

Oh and the correct amount of toilets for a 45k stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Advertisement

Minors in a good position after tonight’s win. Hugh Flanagan took some lovely scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭C4000

Second Easter Sunday in a row that I'll spend driving from Dublin to Cork and back for a match.....was hoping for Portlaoise but that was never a runner 😅. Won't complain though, at least we've a final to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

cork?? no thanks

Don't know why Portlaoise gets over looked so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Plenty from Limerick made it to Cork on Easter Sunday last year for group Championship game against Cork, on the positives Cork is a handy enough run from Limerick driving if you leave in time & Theres plenty trains too and most people will be off the following day .

Drawbacks are the general cost of living cashflow , Easter Sunday is still a significant day in some houses , and it'll be on telly.

20/25K attendance - 15K from Limerick , 5K Kilkenny 3/4K Cork Neutrals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I just think it's mad that they didn't put the football and the hurling on in the same location, be it Thurless, Cork or Portlaoise etc

From a clash-with-other-sports point of view if Munster win their Heineken Cup fixture against Sharks they will play either Toulouse in France or Bulls at home...

Bulls at home would be Saturday night but I can nearly guarantee if it is Toulouse in France that KO would be at 3pm on Sunday. Potentially limiting viewing and attendance figures

There isn't plenty of trains to Cork only 2. Plenty back alright and plenty of buses. No word of special trains yet.

Disappointing that there are not more coaches ran by county boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

When you take all grades into account - Minor, Under 20, Senior hurling and football Portlaoise is easily the most used ground outside of Croke Park and Thurles

Maybe it just feels like I haven't been there in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

An absolut joke to take it to Cork,when Thurles was the obvious and preferred venue for both teams,Will be lucky to get 15000 in Cork I'd say

Advertisement