Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"niche stations for people in cars who don't have data packages" isn't much of a use case to go providing a nationwide infrastructure for.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well if someone hasn't updated their price plan in about 15 years I wouldn't be depending on them to go out and buy a dab radio or "move the dial" on their car radio either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭StreetLight

That depends on what sort of choice is on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think long term linear TV and radio will be over 5g broadcast. TV no earlier than 2030 but probably later down the road as the testing indicates the technology isn't there yet.

Linear broadcast radio over 5g could be a stepping stone for linear high power high tower 5g broadcasting.

As continental countries migrate their radio to DAB+ maybe small countries like Ireland could be testbeds for 5g radio broadcasts in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In the UK there are plans to close FM though. And we tend to copy them, albeit in half-arsed way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

I’ve not always been a fan of DAB, but I think RTE were a little short sighted in their lack of ambition to rollout a national network.

There is just no strategy for their digital stations. I can’t imagine many listen on the RTE app. The digital offer is available through the Saorview and Saorsat but the audio quality in MPEG2 isn’t fantastic.

For all the investment into RTE Gold, the lack of an FM frequency or even a DAB slot now means its audience potential must be very limited. An audience probably least likely to seek out an app for listening but one which could be lucrative in depriving commercial competitors of audience share .

At the very least, RTE should offer all their radio stations on Sky in addition to saorview/saorsat and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's probably down to money. No increase in the licence fee since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

RTE Gold should be on FM and include a few ads to pay for its and the presenters. I think it would do very well. I lot of people don't have away to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Replace 2FM or Radio Highbrow? cause there is no way RTE is going to be allowed to have another national FM network even if they had the money to build one.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'd happily say 2FM, it's not doing anything that the commercial sector isn't already doing.

• Advertisement

An awful lot of posers here don't really seem to understand the enormous amount of money it would take to roll out dab nationwide, futhermore it's interesting that out of Rte's portfolio of 6 digital radio stations, the only one that has generated any kind of fanbase (rte gold) is the most mainstream format

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

would it really take an enormous amount of money these days to roll out DAB across Ireland these days though? - I would understand the infrastructure back in the day would have been very expensive , mainly because it was new'ish technology needed, but these days the infrastructure and technology would have massively come down in price since then to broadcast a digital radio system nationwide - if a third party started it also , then advertising would help pay for it (if not fund its costs totally) wheras if it was RTE again, not only would it be limited stations on DAB , it would have to be funded by the TV licence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A very rough guesstimate, RTÉ/2RN currently has 42 FM transmitters around the country. For nationwide DAB you are going to need at least a similar number of new transmitters and associated aerial systems and interlinks. Add to that electricity to run all this and the numbers start rising VERY quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually it wouldn't be enormous, not cheap certainly but definitely not as costly as one would think.

and as we know, even with more transmitters, over all dab+ networks are less costly to run then fm ones.

now RTE don't have the money as we know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Taking one thing at a time...

RTÉ Gold on FM - there is essentially no further frequencies available within the Irish bandplan for another national network that would match the coverage of the four main RTÉ FM radio networks at present (42 sites, all transmitting Radio 1 and 40 also transmitting 2FM, Lyric FM & RnaG). Spot coverage covering various locations, at best a quasi-national network like that of Newstalk (but Newstalk gets away with tighter frequency reuse thanks to not broadcasting in stereo) might be possible, though would likely give issues in certain localities where FM reception of the station wouldn't be possible. Any such proposal like what I've mentioned or even to take "off" one current FM network and replace it with programming from RTÉ Gold would have to go through the government, with objections by commercial operators likely to be submitted. The proliferation of FM transmission sites in the Republic are now coming to the point where reception of services are being increasingly limited by interference more than geography.

Next, DAB...

The BBC reckon that it's current DAB network (single ensemble/multiplex) is cheaper per listener to run that the national networks for its Radios 1-4, even though it requires more sites to broadcast from. Currently it uses around 400 sites to broadcast DAB which, from the UK "Frequency Finder" website, gives indoor coverage to 97.4% of the UK population (plus the Channel Isles & IoM), compared to approx. 215 sites for the national FM networks (Radios 1 - 4, plus Scotland, Cymru & Ulster in respective areas) that have stereo coverage at ~98.5% population (higher at over 99% for mono reception) as well as 23 sites for BBC 5 Live on medium wave and 12 sites for BBC Radio 4 on LW & MW (both stations definitely don't have 98% population coverage at night, and probably don't either during the day, though R4 LW is likely close) as well as the four small MW TX's for the BBC's Asian Network. However, each FM station is essentially single-channel per carrier (as opposed to DAB multiple channel per carrier), works on a multi-frequency network & transmits at various powers up to 250kW per station. DAB OTOH for the BBC can accommodate all "national" stations on one frequency block using one TX per site, which has a maximum ERP of up to 10kW depending on the site in question. For comparison, the two commercial DAB ensembles/multiplexes in the UK have about 91% indoor coverage for Digital 1 (around the same as those served by the commercial Freeview multiplexes on DTT) from around 200 sites and around 83-84% for Sound Digital from 64 transmitters.

When it comes to site planning, the needs for DAB(+) are a fair bit different to that for FM broadcast radio and are more relatable to 3G/4G/5G mobile networks albeit as a one-way broadcast medium instead of a two-way CSD/IP network. All the BBC & Digital 1 TX's are limited to a maximum of 10kW ERP per TX to avoid causing destructive interference in some locations (reception of two or more signals that lie more than 74km apart 'in time' from a receiving location will fall outside the guard interval that would otherwise cause constructive interference and reinforce reception where they're less than the 74km limit), though as Sound Digital uses less sites, they use up to 25kW at a few locations. Whereas very high prominent sites are seen as a boon for FM & DTT MFN broadcast coverage, they can cause issues for DAB planning because of their increased chance of causing destructive interference in the far distance - the general rule in European countries so far with mature or maturing DAB SFN networks involving prominent broadcast sites whom would otherwise broadcast FM transmissions at 50-100kW or more has been to keep DAB SFN ensemble transmissions to very modest power levels, for example at the Holme Moss site in northern England (pretty much their equivalent to Mt. Lenister in terms of prominence) the BBC limit the ERP of their DAB multiplex to just 2kW, while Digital 1 have theirs at 4.7kW.

The current 2RN network of broadcast sites was developed from the early 1960's onwards to carry VHF analogue television and FM radio, and did so quite well for this purpose, the switch to DTT was relatively painless and allowed 2RN to withdraw some sites for TV broadcasting. Unfortunately, the present network of sites, coupled with some unfortunate geography, makes this less than ideal to roll out a national DAB network without some very careful planning. It's not so much the hills & mountains that are a problem - Norway and Switzerland are even more mountainous than Ireland but have developed their DAB networks very well, and indeed use immunity against mutlipath interference often caused by such compared to FM reception as a bonus - but rather that Ireland is shaped somewhat like a bowl with raised edges and a flat-ish centre. Go to places like Longford, Westmeath, Offaly etc. and you'll find plenty of spots there that can receive RTÉ FM radio from a multitude of high-power 2rn sites like Truskmore, Maghera, Clermont Carn, Mt. Leinster etc. and it should not take much of an imagination to see how the likes of say Truskmore & Mt. Leinster broadcasting an SFN with considerable power (let alone any other sites) would cause destructive interference issues over a large area. Careful planning would be needed to ensure aerial radiation patterns would keep such areas to a minimum. Fortunately, 2RN already have two significant TX sites in this region in the form of Carin Hill & Kilduff that could fill otherwise weak signals from other main sites.

I'm no expert frequency planner, but there are currently 66 DTT (Saorview) sites and 42 National FM radio sites, the vast majority of the latter also carrying DTT (Alhlone is one exception off the top of my head). DTT coverage is though to be 98.5% of the population with a properly installed outdoor UHF receiving aerial, not sure what the RTÉ national FM population coverage is but I'd expect it to be similar (98-99% for stereo reception based on field strength contours). To have a DAB+ ensemble/multiplex match the current BBC population levels in the Republic of Ireland (97.4) I'd say you're looking at somewhere between 45-70 sites with most potential sites already having existing masts or towers with room available, with anything between 20-25 sites being enough to cover at least 85-90% of the population as well as the major road routes - the talk of "hundreds" of sites being needed would be well off the mark IMO.

However, all that talk would be essentially pointless if DAB+ is never to make any inroads in the state. IMO I would not rule out an attempted reintroduction of DAB (or at least DAB+ in a legal form i.e. no "FreeDAB") at some point in the future especially as more car head units will have DAB+ capabilities by default as time goes on though the one thing that would be clear is that RTÉ would never be able to fill an ensemble of content on their own and that any "first" national ensemble would really need to carry both RTÉ & commercial services - as a suggestion, Today FM & Newstalk and maybe Classic Hits could be offered a carrot of an automatic renewal of their FM contracts for going on to this ensemble (as what happened in the UK for FM services going on to local DAB ensembles), while other spaces could be offered up for other potential broadcasters that for their own carrot would have reduced commitments in certain programming areas compared to their FM counterparts. However, whatever regarding the technical hurdles, all of that would have to jump over several political hurdles. It's not just finances, it's also a matter of will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gold7

Given the recent Google Nest Smart speakers breaking down and not able to get any RTE Radio Station for a week on them and now they have gone off again today (Saturday) IMO they should seriously look at bringing back DAB but do better than What was used the last time.

I’m on a train to Dublin at the moment and just can’t get a stable stream of RTE Gold, it has rebuffered about 6 or 7 times in the last 20 minutes. It’s times like this that I wish there was an alternative to streaming it.

Post edited by Glaceon on

• Registered Users Posts: 21 letovo3275

If you get a good mobile provider you'll not have those outages and wont need to buffer.

Honest question, is Vodafone not good enough? You'll never have anything near 100% geographic coverage on any mobile network.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

need a good data plan too? - you don't need to shed out any extra money on add on data plans with a DAB signal

• Advertisement

Found Vodafone to be a bit patchy, but it's all kinda specific. I'd recommend trying another provider.

How much radio you listening to? I think it's 96 kbps on RTE and that not a lot, it's not like streaming lots of Youtube. Tesco do unlimited data for €20 and that's pretty good or there's GoMo for €15.

Mind you that's lots more bitrate on web radio than you get on DAB in the north so maybe not a fair comparison.

That's what I mean, surely even a 3G signal should be able to sustain a 96k stream?

I don't use it all that often, usually just when travelling to and from work on days when I'm out and about. Once a week, sometimes less.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

If the legislation passes in the UK to allow RTE to broadcast radio in the UK, how likely would it be that in Northern Ireland, and specifically Belfast (which has reception issues of RTE Radio) that the four main FM RTE radio stations would be transmitted within NI? I assume that DAB is likely how the stations would be broadcast if it ever came about. I know the legislation is aimed at RTE Radio 1 in the UK with the demise of 252 LW but wondering if in NI there would be provision of all four FM stations - is there even the capacity/space to do this on the DAB network at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

FM transmitters within Northern Ireland for RTÉ radio carriage would be highly unlikely. And in the very small chance that it does, I could only foresee it as small powered relay stations carrying RTÉ Radio 1 in certain population centres of interest like Belfast city centre where present transmitters south of the border struggle or don't reach.

The current NI DAB ensemble has no data capacity at present for any more audio services, even using DAB+ AAC. While the two UK commercial DAB ensembles carry DAB+ services, I think very few, if any, of the local ensembles carry anything other than MP2 services for technical reasons (as well as suggestions for keeping potential "competitors" off it!)

IMO there's a chance of RTÉ Radio 1 appearing on the small-scale Belfast & Lisburn once three criteria are met - (1) legislation at Westminster allows for it to happen, (2) The ssDAB ensemble gets up & running, and (3) RTÉ are interested in doing so & sign the costs off for renting capacity - though the cost for doing so is very likely to be a p*ss in the sea compared to the 252 running costs. Might also appear on the RNI_1 DTT multiplex as well if only number (1) happens, as adding it would be technically easy and have almost zero additional ongoing costs concerned.

As for any other analogue RTÉ Radio services, I guess RnaG might be considered for the Belfast & Lisburn ssDAB especially if funding for capacity was secured the same way as it is at present for TG4 in NI. I doubt however the Lyric FM & 2FM would be considered worth it - RTÉ Radio 1 has a notable listenership in NI, less so the other three outside of a few pockets in border areas that are already well covered by FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

RTE RnaG is already available on DTT in N. Ireland via NIMM with good coverage especially in the East.

I was in Belfast over Easter. Radio 1 was mostly good but seemed to have a few weak places in the city centre but if you were out of town a bit it was usually okay. 2FM and Today FM were really good nearly everywhere I was driving including all about down town.

I find that if you manually select 3G (can do this on an iPhone, probably Android as well) you get decent reception for streaming radio as the 3G coverage is still better than 4G in many areas. One caveat though is that certain UK networks will be switching off 3G in the next year or two so one will lose this option. As far as I know no network in the RoI has similar plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Mobile Reception isn't even close to the signal coverage from DTT (or what DAB from the same sites) achieves, unlike the national broadcaster who has an obligation to provide coverage to the population, mobile providers do not; you'll note that even the oldest of the bunch will make a claim like X% Population and Y% Geographic with the latter being much smaller.

A good data package is not much use if you don't have adequate reception

This has echos of paying a Pay-TV provider (just to) watch our national broadcaster, for RTÉ I cannot see it happening, and, I can only hope it never happens for the other services; right now I get 100% of my TV and Radio free of charge, I don't want to be in a position where my choice is stream it on my PC or stream it on my phone, the idea of being forced to pay a third party just to watch television that's ordinarily free is anathema.

Having said that; with near-unaffordable charges to broadcast on DTT, no possibility of opening a local/regional/third national multiplex and, the relatively low cost (for now) to stream (to a limited audience) makes the online route appealing if you want to get a foot in the door.=

Other than you should not need to pay a mobile provider, to listen to radio, in your car, mobile coverage is still horrendously spotty outside of urban areas. It's absolute pot-luck if you can get a signal, much less an adequate data connection for streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Any time someone says everything should be on mobile or internet, I'm reminded of the Canadian (and others) experience of putting all your eggs in one basket. Last year a network outage left a large part of the population with no 911, no mobile services, no ATMs and no internet. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/08/internet-down-canada-rogers-mobile-network-outage

Where I live, the first thing to go in a power outage is mobile coverage. If you do manage to get a signal, you get 2G speeds because everyone else has switched to their mobile for their cat videos.

Advertisement