Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Surely a case to be made against Comreg in violation of EU anti-competition legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the case would need to be against the BAI rather then comreg as it's the BAI refusing to implement any framework to allow any full time legal operations.

the question is who would have the money and would want to take such a case, anyone i reccon that would want to take it wouldn't have the funds i suspect but who knows.

can't see such a case happening personally.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ComReg issue spectrum licences.

Broadcast licences are via the BAI or Broadcasting Act.

The reality is, the handful of small players who claim to be interested in getting a dab licence would only ever be interested (&able to afford) in providing a couple of minimuxes in the largest urban centres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Its hard to imagine anyone would be seriously interested. It would be a huge investment for a very small audience. From anecdotal evidence there is little or no knowledge or interest from Joe Public in DAB. Personally, I always considered DAB as an answer looking for a problem as long as we have better quality FM with better coverage..

• Advertisement

maybe, maybe not.

the truth is none of us know as nobody is actually allowed to find out.

what we do know is that dab+ even with more transmitters is a lot less cost to run then fm transmissions as that was shown a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

DAB does have its uses, but re-broadcasting RTE Radio 1 etc. isn't one of them.

DAB could be used to provide regional stations with a national audience for minimal extra cost and bandwidth. It could also be used for niche stations - FM is too crowded and the minuscule bandwidth requirements cater to this need perfectly.

I also never understood why RTE never used DAB for sports commentary stream (a la BBC R5L extra). GAA/Rugby/Soccer matches frequently clash, and why RTE never put anything in place to accommodate this (short of hopping between sports for updates on R1) is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even in Dublin there are free FM slots so no, it's not too crowded.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

there could probably be another 1 or 2 if those low power fillers that weren't needed for 30 years previously for the existing stations weren't on.

I'm not saying FM is full, but the context of my post is that DAB would be suitable for niche radio and/or regional rebroadcasts, which would not be practical to do on FM.

A single DAB multiplex can have over 25 stations on a single multiplex. The broadcasting costs would therefore be lower, and is overall more space efficient than FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who will pay though? The commercial stations don't want to. RTE doesn't want to. You're also overlooking the vastly greater number of transmitters required to provide coverage equivalent to FM.

Who cares about space efficient? There's not really anything else useful you can do with band II or III (now that analogue TV is dead)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The recent FreeDAB enterprise showed that it can be done with investment that need not be outrageously expensive. By industry standards, their signal in Dublin was pretty low but still managed a wide enough reach over the entire city and county.

DAB works in providing choice with niche stations. If the established commercial stations are not interested in DAB, then any niche station which wants to transmit on DAB cannot possibly be any threat to them.

We're all familiar with the names of large advertisers on radio today - car dealerships, health insurance, travel agents, you name it. What about the smaller businesses? I think the likes of someone who owns a paint shop on Swords Main Street might jump at the chance to advertise on a city-wide DAB radio station if the price was right. It couldn't possibly take a slice out of the existing advertising cake. In fact, it would expand it.

If a DAB station can do that when nobody else is interested, then the authorities should open up the airwaves and let them have at it.

the problem is that because effectively one is prohibited from operating a mux or even a station on a full time basis due to there being no legal framework in place to actually do so, outside the position of rte and existing operators, the question of who will pay can't really be answered because nobody can do anything and therefore nobody can know the answer for definite.

it's the effective prohibition on the use of DAB in any form that is the issue rather then whether the technology actually gets used or not.

Completely agree end of the road.

DAB failed in Ireland because it seemingly needed to live up to the same requirements as FM. But it's not FM. There are pros and cons to both systems, but DAB could have flourished if it was seen as it's own thing.

RTE didn't publicize thier DAB broadcasts - at least until RTE Gold's remit started expanding, but by that time the writing was on the wall. As a result, Joe public had no awareness of DAB, and this lack of awareness was one of the sticks DAB was beaten with. It was a vicious cycle.

I would dearly love to see a breakdown of just how much money RTE have saved by shutting down the DAB broadcasts. It surely must be pennies in the grand scheme of things, considering all of the RTE digital stations are still chugging along. (I wonder it is less than the Toy Show Musical lost.....)

If there was any sense in the broadcasting industry, DAB licenses would be available so that the likes of FreeDAB can operate legally. If there was content there that people wanted to listen to, I would be bet you'd see DAB take-up spike.

Can you imagine if the BBC DAB multiplex was available in RoI - how much of the morning/commute listenership would it take from RTE? RTE would be terrified of the prospect, despite them claiming that there is no interest in DAB. Never going to happen / pipe dream, I know. Interesting to contemplate only.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭decor58

The BBC radio channels are available all over the country, via Internet radio, on your phone, smart speaker and I know they were on Sky, are they on Virgin, I cant say. I wonder how many people use them. Likewise the RTE DAB stations are likewise available nationwide via Internet and Saorview, we regularly listen to RTE Gold via Internet. Then you have cost, BBC would not pay for carriage, when the service is already available, extra cost for minimal increase in listeners. BBC tv channels are available to broadcast, free, under the Good Friday agreement but they won't bear the cost, when the service is available via satellite and the UK licence payer would not like the idea of using their licence fee to broadcast their channels into another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BBC radio on FM, including Radio Ulster, can be heard anywhere in Co Louth, and lots of other places. People have no objection to having outdoor aerials to receive TV. If they went to the same bother for radio, they could probably get good reception in Dublin.

I don't think RTE take much notice of what the BBC are doing. If it was an issue they would be trying to stop the overspill which can be heard by hundreds of thousands of listeners in the South. And the BBC still rely on medium wave for their Radio 5 service. That can be heard easily in the "commuter belt".

Lads, i know the BBC channels are available on TV, internet etc. As are the RTE digital channels. And I wasn't claiming that there was any realistic likelihood of BBC being broadcast in RoI. I'm not making a case for it.

It was only a thought-experiment as to whether RTE would be so relaxed about the small prevalence of DAB if a heavy-hitter like the BBC were to jump on board. I'm guessing they wouldn't.

I have never bought the 'available on internet radio' argument. I'd love to know how many people actually tune-in to internat radio in their cars. Convenience is massive, in every industry. There's a huge sway to just being able to switch on the radio and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If people are interested enough they will make the effort to hear BBC Radio Four or whatever. UK DAB is not going to reveal any hidden treasures which would make people desert Irish radio in droves.

If people are interested enough, then of course they will seek it out. But I think there's a larger, more casual audience of listeners who would be tempted to move the dial.

Anyway, that's all speculation, and as I say, I'm not making a case for it. Just postulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

DAB works in providing choice with niche stations.

This model holds in large markets like the UK. A very small share of a very large market might still be enough to justify your existence.

In Ireland, a very small share of a very small market would mean no-one could be able to keep the lights on. You'd be limited to non-profit stations like community radio, or relaying feeds of foreign stations - and the internet already does a nice job of that.

DAB unfortunately is a good technology that no one really needed. It is never coming back and pulling the plug was a great call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

With Android Auto or Carplay now available on pretty much all cars, listening to Internet radio is so easy. I use it all the time in the car, BBC Sounds is on Android Auto in Rep of Ireland and its brilliant. You can listen live, pause, rewind a programme back to the beginning etc. There are podcasts, shows, concerts etc available to play. Only drawback is the geo restrictions on some sports commentaries, but even these aren't as frequent as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I used to listen to FreeDAB a bit in the car. What happened to it?

I heard that they were subjected to a very heavy-handed raid involving Comreg, The Gardai and the revenue commissioners

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

DAB unfortunately is a good technology that no one really needed.

Both DAB and DAB+ are anything but good technologies.

DAB was a late 1980's university research project, which used already then used out of date technology.

DAB+ added - mid 2000's - an extra layer of error correction already in use since 1982 on CD music disks.

Here the out of date technology means much higher TX power, more transmitters, worse coverage in special cases (mud sound DAB / drop out DAB+) and other problems.

DAB is not a technology to resurrect - let DAB RIP.

Lars 😀

the thing is, if we do intend to continue with terestrial radio then realistically dab or something newer will be needed as fm can't offer the choice required for modern listening, and unfortunately internet coverage at a reliability to replace it is not quite there and it is hard to say how long, if ever it will reach that standard.

ireland apparently has the most expensive radio and regulatory model in the world and is the most expensive country in the world to operate radio so of course it is hard for anyone to keep the lights on, especially when the stations are then also funding the regulator who regulates them which should never happen but that is a different issue.

dab or a newer terestrial platform forces open the market and slashes costs as the high costs of regulation which as it is are mostly unjustifiable definitely can't be justified any longer, not that much of them can be anyway really.

there will obviously be some unavoidable costs like music licensing and tax, some staff costs etc but they are the costs of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Most people already have an internet radio in their pockets and the nationwide infrastructure to access it already exists (mostly). DAB would require a vast investment in a transmission network and the end user would quite probably have to buy a new receiver. That seems like a hard sell to both the stations and the potential audience.

internet coverage at a reliability to replace it is not quite there

It absolutely is. Mobile internet was the final nail in the coffin of DAB.

It would serve a need that simply doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Streaming is really inefficient at high volume though. The most recent listenership figures I can find for Morning Ireland are 433,000. Imagine replacing FM with that many unicast streams; at 64k per stream you’re looking at about 27 gigabits/sec of bandwidth required.

But there isn't any proposal to replace FM?

FM already serves the mass market stations very well, internet radio already provides an infinite amount of niche stations. Both of these already have broadcasting/streaming infrastructure in place and every single person in the country can receive them with their existing equipment.

So what do we need DAB for?

• Advertisement

Not everyone wants or has access to data packages.

Advertisement