Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Anyone care to suggest a price I should ask for this ?

Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Computer Case - Black

GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3P 1151 7th Gen DDR4 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz QuadCore 8MB Cache Processor

Corsair H60 Processor Liquid Cooling

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming with ACX 3.0 Cooling 8 GB GDDR5X PCI Express 3 Graphics Card - Black

EVGA SuperNova P2 650 W Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory Kit - Black

Micron M550 256gb ssd

Western Digital Caviar Green 2tb sata.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just to update this, i got Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz today and its totally transformed tarkov.

Its gone from unplayable stuttering to butter smooth no more hitching or fps drops.

CPU usage in tarkov has also dropped dramatically.

alt-tabbing in and out to learn the maps is also a breeze now where as before it would stutter like crazy.

Ill try MSFS at some stage too but this has been a dramatic improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Still waiting on Intel 2nd-gen before I would seriously consider putting money down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I hope to pick up an Arc 380 for my media server when Unraid upgrades their Kernel to 6.0.1, it looks like a beast for transcoding and hopefully drivers can be sorted out for Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

With my new 7900 XTX on the way I'm thinking my trusty 3700X won't be up for the job. So I'm thinking either a 5700X or 5800X. I know the best of the best on AM4 is the 5800X3D but I'm strapped for cash after spending north of one grand on a GPU so in my eye that CPU is out of the picture unless someone knew where there was a fabulous deal on one.

So which CPU should I go for?

edit: I forgot to add I game at 4k on a 120Hz Tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Stick with your current CPU for a month or two and save up the difference and get the 5800X3D.

I suppose that is best alright. I think there were deals on X3D's back at black Friday. Missed out but didn't know I was going to upgrade back then.

It's been under 350eur in Germany for a while now; 329 on Caseking RN

Crazy to think that's what I paid for a 5600X at launch.

Irish vat though brings the price up and then €20 shipping too. From looking it looks like €360 delivered every where when shipping is included.

I will have to sleep on it. There is nothing wrong with my 3700X and then I do game at 4k. Mad being a tight ass on a CPU when I just plonked down over a grand on a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Got my first ultrawide monitor!!!

(stolen from reddit)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I will continue the japes by linking Steve's latest episode of existential suffering :)

"We wanted to review a prebuilt that did everything right"

"We were very wrong"

Arctic basically just made every fan other than Phanteks T30-120 irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any idea where locally I could get torx bits? A decent one?

Need to open Dell laptop, I did order myself some basic Amazon kit, bit shredded itself on first screw, that's what You get for buying cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd do a bounce around your local Lidl/Aldi. Good chance there is a set there.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

No luck. There were some bit sets but without the one I need. Will have to get Ifixit kit at last, 12€ for a goddam shipping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So I feel the need for a bit of rant/moan on the HEDT segment.

I'm a power user, I have need for a big machine, and I get my money's worth out of them by running them 24/7, often doing science work for the likes of Primegrid (my last discovery, a 1.07m digit prime), when not gaming. As a result, I've gone for the Intel HEDT platforms, the X99 and X299 based ones. With the last of those being 6 years ago, it's showing its age now, clock frequency falls behind, IPC is anaemic, only PCI 3.0 etc.

So I've been thinking it's time to upgrade, and given that Intel just launched it's new Xeon W9 series as their HEDT offering, I've been looking at what options there are.

And the options suck.

AMD made a mess of their Threadripper Pro offering. What they have now is older tech only, PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 only. Their follow-up stemming from Zen3 is a year away, maybe making it out in Q1 2024, lagging heavily behind their desktop 7xxx equivalents. If I'm looking for a costly machine to last half a decade, I'm not buying into something already outdated.

From Intel, there's been no new platform in the six years since until the W790 and Xeon W9 24xx/34xx series. But it at least has current level tech, with PCIe 5 and DDR5.

So what choices are there in W790 land?

So far there's only boards from three manufacturers, namely Supermicro, Asrock and Asus. Supermicro aren't that widely available, and aren't consumer friendly. Asrock have a poor reputation, and are hit and miss with their boards, and given one of these boards is €1k, I'm not risking that on a roll of the dice with them.

That leaves Asus. They have two boards, the Ace and the Sage. The Ace is the lighter one, but it already has compromises, such as only 4 SATA ports, and only two m.2 slots. That only leaves the Sage as a properly specc'd out option.

Except, that only occurs with the right CPU choice. Putting in a W9 2400 means have the PCIe slots and 2 of the 3 m.2 slots don't work, due to PCIe lane count, half the RAM slots don't work due to reduce channels.

Not that you can get many of either the 24xx or 34xx options any way, the lower core count CPUs are OEM only.

So there's nothing that slots in above a normal desktop part, and unless you go overboard on the price and specs, you risk an only half functional system.

I think part of the problem is that AMD has brought the desktop market really close to what HEDT was and everything is really scalling past what can actually be used properly.

A current top end desktop can get up to 128gig of EEC ram or more, have 32 fast threads and a heap of connectivity. So to distinguish HEDT, they have to be near parity with the server market and right now, the server market demand is sucking up those chips anyway, so why sell to a very very small market that is current HEDT users.

What exactly are you looking for that the desktop market can't achieve? A HEDT system isn't really going to last any longer then a high end desktop system right now because core count is probably going to stall out around 16 for a while. For the current HEDT offerings, your just paying extra for the PCI-ex lanes in most cases. Do you need quad or oct channel memory, or super high amounts of it? Do

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What I need is proper AVX support, 8 RAM slots, a high core count, and a larger number of drive options. In the past the X99/X299 platforms did provide those options. But Intel mangled the AVX support in their newer cores as they want to push people to their enterprise/workstation options. Neither Intel or AMD have more than 4 RAM slots on their desktop offerings. I don't need overkill elements like 8 channels, but there's no middle ground. I guess I'm just a small market segment that isn't really served any more, even if it was in the past.

EPYC and thank me later....just don't look at your bank balance.

• Advertisement

I had a quick look, and while Epyc (Genoa or later) would indeed tick a lot of boxes that Threadripper doesn't, there's just about no boards around.

I may opt for a W9 yet, but if I do, it'll only be begrudgingly. If I do, I'll start a thread on it so everyone can marvel at the monstrosity of it.

Pretty sure AMD will drop a new Zen4 threadripper soon.

If anyone is looking for those Arctic P12 MAX fans, check their eBay store or buy directly from their site.

Out with the old and in with the new(well second hand). I received my 5800X in the post today. Would have been here Friday but Paddy's day.

It is massive step up from my old 3700X.

Talk me out of buying an NCase M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Are they not discontinued now? I was going to sell mine as I no longer need the portability, but it is an awesome little case to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Are the P12 MAX different to regular P12, and if so in what way? I'm trying to find something powerful and quiet, and the price on these seems pretty decent!

Newer dual-ball-bearing motor, maxes at 3300rpm instead of 1800rpm, rubber dampeners, and redesigned fan blade to remove harmonic noises in the 950-1100 rpm range.

• Advertisement
Advertisement