Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You should but in reality it won't actually make any difference, it will be a they said, you said unless they admit straight away, with a bit of luck it will be an old school garda who will just give them a bollicking like they could fine them and it scares them but they are rarer and rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭ngunners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know John, he's a very chilled sort of type. But some of the responses in the Twitter thread... I suspect the labour logo attracts some of them.

It's a common practice in Dublin, might be time Labour and green councillors and TDs threw their weight behind bus lane cameras. Simple and easy solution. Most drivers think it's OK because Gardai never pull them for it. I could do the same in front of a Garda and would wager I am not getting in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

Don't think the driver did a lot wrong there tbh, pass looked fine and he was conscious enough to leave plenty of room on the left for the cyclist to filter past, unlike the car ahead of him.

Who hasn't used a bus lane when turning left like that, I certainly have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I can absolutely guarantee you that 99.9% of motorists using that lane are not turning left into Des Kelly.

Fair enough I don't know the junction. Just thought it was a bit of a strange instance for the cyclist to decide to have a go, he left him plenty of room.

Not excusing the driver's aggressiveness afterwards btw

Of all the issues I have had with drivers in bus lanes, that wouldn't have even registered with me. It was a non event. Until it is enforced or they actually do put me in danger, I don't really see the point in giving out. Wasn't on a phone, gave space, and to be honest, screams of something else happened before. Did he proceed to give out to the other few cars in the bus lane?

i posted it mainly because i thought it was absurd, a 'right, i am going to pull in and engage in fisticuffs with this cyclist in the middle of a busy urban area' as if the cyclist was going to agree to that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Where he pulled in was Des Kelly, that's where he was going.

No one came out of that video looking well IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just to be clear, by 'have a go', you mean: tell the guy driving in the bus lane that it's a bus lane.

Yes have a go at him as such.

Driver would have gotten a thumbs up from me for consciously leaving space to the left tbh, he clearly stayed well out.

I'd have reserved my dirty look for the driver in front blocking my way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This is the junction here

Prospect Rd - Google Maps

So where the guy pulled in is where he said he was going.

There's no right turn at that junction so don't know why the rest of the cars where in the bike lane. Unless they thought there was a right turn so were going into the bus lane to get around any potential hold ups.

I have to say it's all a bit needless and I'd agree with CramCycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Speaking to him about his abuse of the bus lane wouldn’t quite meet my definition of “having a go”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭blackwhite

From Phibsboro shopping centre until after Des Kelly that's only a bus lane between certain hours. It's only after you pass the Porterhouse/Bernard Shaw that it becomes a 0700-1900 bus lane.

So it's also a possibility that it was between 10-12.30 when the lane is open to all road users; unlikely to be pre-7am or post-7pm given the traffic levels and brightness.

Either way - seems a fairly needless confrontation for the cyclist to initially have engaged in, but then a completely psycho response from the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

A non issue for me, can be difficult to get into left lane if turning into des kellys as very busy there and he deliberately left plenty of room to cycle though. If I were driving myself I sometimes to do same thing if left turn coming up on busy road. He made a tool out of himself though with the wanna fight response.

i've gotten that 'i'll punch your **** lights out' sort of threat three times i think in the last five or ten years - but once it was from a cyclist.

another time it was as a result of me sticking my hand out in a 'do not pass' gesture as i could see oncoming traffic the driver behind couldn't see (or was ignoring) - ended up with him slamming on the brakes and pulling in and trying to block me in, so that was a bit adrenaline fuelled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you'll allow me the whataboutery, why not lecture the cyclist on the very narrow footpath. This junction is just one that attracts bad road users of all kinds. Pedestrians like to cross the road at whitworth when I'm turning

• Advertisement

Just had a bus close pass me and then completely pinch me at the Hill Garage in Bray, scared the sh1te out of me, first really bad one in awhile. I thought I was a goner.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Dublin Bus or Go Ahead? I've had several issues around there with the 45A to the point I believe it's a specific driver. I reported one to Traffic Watch with footage and, had the Guard been doing her job, it would doubtless have resulted in a prosecution. Unfortunately she wasn't so it didn't!

I subsequently wrote to Go Ahead and got the impression they had dealt with it properly internally. I certainly got a better feeling doubt it then when writing to Dublin Bus. Since then, I have reported every infraction with them. I'd urge you to email them for all our benefits

Alas no, white minibus, 191D, coming towards the garage from Ballywaltrim. Just after the turn left for the DB stop he pulled alongside me with about 30cm to spare, slowed and then merged in. I went onto the ridge of the road and grabbed a handful of brakes to drop behind him. If I hadn't I'd have been in the ditch or under his wheels. I still was at the roundabout less than 3 seconds after him.

It had to have been intentional, my heart went crossways, closest one in awhile. Normally it's just stupidity, but this felt malicious. He then went over the bridge to the southside N11 so I imagine does schoolruns locally.

Just saw this vid from the UK on twitter - the lad on the bike says a lot of NSFW words but I guess it's understandable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Shocking. There's no way I'd have been that close to the kerb though. I know people will that as an implied criticism of the cyclist - it's not. Just an observation based on my experience of what happens when you're perceived to be making space for a vehicle to pass you, and from seeing how other cyclists on the road I come across are treated by motorists when they cycle close to the kerb.

The least you'd hope though is that drivers of vehicles like that would have a higher level of training and awareness of how their driving impacts other road users. Not in this case clearly. Absolutely inexcusable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

100% I never cycle this close to the kerb its only asking for trouble, doesn't excuse the attempted killing of the cyclist though.

first one in a while today; on a back road north of the airport, a lad on a bike came shooting out of a driveway straight into my path. i'd have to assume that he thought there was no traffic as he probably couldn't hear any.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

A particularly stupid MGIF from this afternoon. Reported to his employer.

https://streamable.com/006wb1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Advertisement

Just back from a 65km spin there but on my way home at the back of Intel, some muppet in a blue car (didn't look to see what it was) with an N sticker decided to overtake me going into a stretch that I think of as a downhill corkscrew bend - its a quick left bend downhill followed by a quick right bend and because of the downhill bit, you can certainly build up a decent bit of speed. What was clear as he decided to make the manouvre was that the oncoming car wasn't going to somehow vanish. As he was coming alongside me, the thought ran through my mind as to whether I should unclip and leave a footprint on his bodywork but I figured that it was all too fast and too risky. It was only when he was alongside me that he then decided to back off (and the oncoming car I think slowed but I was more focused on the muppet overtaking me).

I stopped further down the hill and as it happened, so had he with maybe 5-10m between us. I shouted up "Are you stupid" and got a "sorry" back to which I replied "no, that was f****ng thick" before setting off again (to which i could hear another "sorry". The apologies sounded as if they were in a kind of ho-hum manner as if it were "oops" rather that "sorry, I realise that could have eneded up badly for you mate"

What surprised me was that despite his earlier urgency, he didn't try and pass me as I continued along, keeping a decent distance until I turned for Confey at the next right turn.

I was on the good bike so no cameras 😥

Advertisement