Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six Nations 2023 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭OldRio

Italy will break your heart. So so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Cruel. So cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It ended up 26-14 to Scotland, but so easily could have been 19-21 to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd be raging if I was an Italian fan....ffs Scotland are either infringing or not...and fine he can't check it but that's where you need a rule change for something as crucial as that or something like a head coach has three challenges for iffy stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RAKM

Italy in strong pos at end of game and manage to lose by more. Played 5 lost 5 conceded 4 tries in each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whereas constant abuse of refs on social media is exactly what the game needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,854 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Scotland deserved to be beaten but so did Italy at the end of the day. Mad game with some terrible rugby.

Wouldn't matter. The ref was absolutely fine today.

People don't want refs to make the correct decisions. They want the refs to make the decisions that bring about the result they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Don't see how you can call the ref fine today, got some key decisions wrong which had a big impact on the result. I think you've made a judgement earlier and are going to stick to it despite evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Only saw the first half. One ref problem I thought was, the pacing of his calls at scrum set up was too slow. It had no rhythm which a huddle of 16 players need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

France v Wales

Brilliant game so far.

Great to see Nic Berry back

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

Good start from Wales, but France just like, "Grand, have your try after 10 minutes of effort, we'll just score in seconds..."

But he didn't make the correct decision .... so he wasn't absolutely fine.

France get their 2nd try & remain on course for the BP win they require. Can Wales stay with them ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Can't see it happening. France just look like they've got the tries in them, Wales have to do so much work for their opportunities and they're making too many mistakes.

From his own mouth ...I could clearly hear him say to the players I can't check it...

At least that's what I thought I heard him say? I'm assuming the guy refereeing the match has a better grasp of the rules than I do?

If he could check it then it begs the question why didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Yep, I heard him say it too. I’m very interested to know why though. They seem to check everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,881 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is it me or is there a huge amount of overconfidence/false sense of security type of vibe “we have it in the bag” type of attitude around today?

Brent Pope threw out an interesting scenario on Newstalk earlier 

early English try

sexton off injured soon after 

1 or 2 other injuries in the pack 

Irish huffing and puffing in a war of attrition and come away empty handed after a number of draining attempts at crossing the whitewash 

english ride the psychic energy (chapeau G Thornley) looking to restore some bit of pride to the red rose

very different proposition then....

• Advertisement

We'd still have enough to be better than this England side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wales showing here that even a beaten dog has a bite. Wonder will England be able to follow suit. Though I think the result will still be the same either way.

Looking that way. Antonio gets the 3rd try. Wales may implode now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Why would anyone care what Brent Pope says tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Starting with the first scrum which changed his mindset afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,881 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Harsh. Popey is a good analyst and a very nice man in person.

It's a possibility in fairness ...on balance though ireland should prevail

I definitely don't think they have it in the bag. I hope there isn't an overconfidence in the team or too much trepidation(thats where it really counts imo), just the right amount to play their game and win.

There were moments in that Scotland game where I thought the wheels had come off too but they weathered it...I additionally hope that if we are dragged into a war of attrition via bad luck/circumstances we weather that too!

There's a TMO protocol which details what can and can't be checked.

But it wouldn't have mattered, it was a knock on.

So the call was right and the ref saying he couldn't check it was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

That’s a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Player of the tournament? For me......Dupont, by a long way. This lad is beyond world class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭randomname2005

So almost as good as ROG was a few years back??

Vastly better! Probably the best player in the last 10 years.

My team of the tournament:

15.Hugo Keenan

14.Damian Penaud

13.Huw Jones

12.Sione Tui’polotu

11.Mack Hansen

10.Jonathan Sexton

9.Antoine Dupont

1.Andrew Porter

2.Dan Sheehan

3.Finlay Bealham

4.Thibaud Flament

5.James Ryan

6.Peter O’Mahony

7.Josh Van der Flier

8.Caelan Doris

Reps: Julien Marchand, Cyril Baille, Kyle Sinckler, Niccolo Cannone, Charles Ollivon, Jamison Gibson Park, Romain Ntamack, James Lowe.

Player of the Tournament: James Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭ersatz

I don’t get the love for Tui’polotu, he is a bosher for sure but against Ireland I saw a player who costs a team as much or more than he earns between penalties, handling errors and brainlessness. He looks the business but just makes a lot of mistakes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I'd change the complete front row. Genge, Baille and Schoeman would all get in before Porter for me. Marchand would edge out Sheehan with Turner a close third. TH had no standout players but Sinckler and Fagerson went well and played all 5 games (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,058 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll go,

Keenan, Penaud, Fickou, Danty, Hansen, Sexton, Dupont, Doris, VDF, Ollivon, Ryan, Flament, Fagerson, Sheehan, Porter.

Player of the tournament was Doris for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Atypical way to measure this, but I think a metric that suggests Italy are getting closer to the pack across the board is that it's their first time having a better Points Difference than another team since 2007.

They caused problems for every team they played, and will feel they should've had more than their 1 losing bonus point, but they seem in a good position going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,681 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hi lads, not into rugby very much but enjoyed watching the U.20's. Is there an U.20 World Cup?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes - There hasn't been one for a couple of years due to Covid , but it's back this summer - In South Africa this year.

June/July I think.

• Advertisement

For me the team of the tournament

1. Baille

2. Marchand

3. Bealham

4. Flament

5. Ryan

6. Olivon

7. Vdf

8. Aldritt

9. Dupont

10. J10

11. VDM

12. Danty

13. Jones

14. Penaud

15. Keenan

16. Sheehan

17. Genge

18. Fagerson

19. Chessum

20. Conan

21. JGP

22. Russell

23. Ringrose

Scottish front rowers are about as overrated as you can get. For me, Porter fundamentally outplayed Schoeman and Genge, with maybe a discussion around Baille.

Sheehan had a better tournament than Marchand, and had more big moments imo.

Sinckler had a good tournament. Fagerson looked like the Italian LHP was causing him huge problems on Saturday but some spurious enough refereeing decisions bailed him out. Bealham's performance in the France match alone was worth more than anything Fagerson did in this tournament.

I don't understand a selection with 8 French players and only 5 Irish, when we were vastly superior to them in this tournament. Their only convincing win was against a ramshackle English side, and we beat that French team by 13. Surely that has to weigh the big decisions in favour of Irish players?

You've selected Aldritt ahead of Doris, presumably down to Doris missing 1 game due to injury? Aldritt was utterly abject in the first two games, and really only performed in the last 2 rounds. He was hauled off early against us as he was nowhere to be seen.

Danty only played the last 2 rounds and yet has done enough for selection.

Equally don't get the Duhan van der Merwe selection - he cost Scotland more tries than he scored in this Championship. James Lowe is a better winger than him every day of the week, and Mack Hansen and Damian Penaud had much better tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I know a few people that can't stop singing France's praise, effectively ignoring Ireland's performances and grand slam. Bizarre stuff.

We're in a great place and I'd take where we're at now over any other team's trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I think we're scared! It's very difficult to argue that we're not the best in the world at the moment. What brought it home to me - talking of trajectory - was a point made on Virgin about the path of this team being very similar to England 2003 - SH test series win, beating everybody, GS - and we all know what they went on to do. You start to think 'Yeah, we should win this WC' And that's the scary thought. Oh, and I'm never drinking again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What I will say about France is that after the Ireland game I personally would have been thinking that they looked tired and were perhaps showing signs of an "Ireland 2019" style slump.

They have finished the tournament quite a bit stronger though , although the hype about the England game is a bit over-blown as England were utterly dreadful on the day and Wales gave them more trouble than they should have even if they won comfortably in the end.

Ireland have been very consistent but I continue to have concerns over the mental element around the QF game.

We saw at the week-end a team that were clearly more than a little nervous and were making uncharacteristic errors as a result.

The weight of expectation and desire to close out the Grand-slam obviously got to them and I fear that the same type of worries might creep in in a QF , but we'll be playing a much better team than England were on Saturday.

Oddly enough I think that if we do get past the QF then they'll actually relax quite a bit as that "monkey" will be off their back and anything else will be a bonus to some extent.

• Advertisement

I think part of it is the emotional scars of the past for Irish supporters who really thought we were going to do something special at a world cup, only to be bitterly disappointed. I still remember how horrible it felt walking out of the stadium in NZ after losing to Wales. Just the worst.

The other thing is the flair of France when they get on top of teams...little moments of brilliance from Dupont that catch the eye. They can seem more exciting on first glance, I think.

But take Dupont out of that side, and I think they'd suffer more than we would by losing Sexton. We're less about having a few brilliant individuals capable of magic, and more about a seriously cohesive squad who operate as a whole...not saying France don't have some of that cohesion and across the board strength too, but I feel they're more reliant on their "star players" than we currently are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think nerves were more to do with expectation....unless we play shite we'll win comfortably. Difficult mindset. New mindset. I think it resulted in us playing conservatively, ponderously, without conviction. JGP looking up, looking left and right, before passing, for example.

If we get to QF we know we'll have to play excellently. It's a different mindset. I don't think this squad will be overly consumed by QF tag or history. Of much more significance will be the team they have to beat. And they may very well lose, but I don't think it'll be because they start the game like they did on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think a quarter final is also a different situation. The game on Saturday had one team playing with everything to lose and one played with nothing to lose. In a quarter final both teams have to play with something to lose so there's nerves on both sides.

I hope you are right because other than the QF in Dublin against Australia every other QF game has featured an Ireland team playing well below their ability at that time.

As disappointing as a QF loss might be , a loss where we played at our peak but were beaten by a better team would at least be somewhat less deflating.

If you look at Porter, you get 10 penalties conceded! The most in the tournament. He played well but, that's a deal breaker for me. Aldritt finished incredibly well. Filament and Ryan were clearly way out on there own. Dupont is well..... otherworldly.

There's not between us and France. Bear in mind, that the team is dominated by ourselves and the French.

Going into the world cup, we will be favorites. Deservedly so. S.A will be the toughest outing for us. They'll be ready to perform and we will be at full pop! People on here will hopefully realize, that the world cup is a tougher ask. Our route is brutal and the squad will be tested. I think we will win it. But, we can't play like we did this weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement