Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are tattoos trashy?

• 18-03-2023 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I was on the bus and overheard this posh teenage girl talk to her friend on the phone about how her mother thought it was ridiculous for her to get a henna tattoo. She said it would make her look like trash.

I don't know what the consensus is on them but I still think they have a stigma despite becoming more popular over the last 25 years. I know way more working class people with them. The upper class friends I have who get tattoos, only get one and in a place where they are easily covered up (ankle, top of arm).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Oh yay, a tattoo thread. These always end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Henna is not permanent so I wouldn't have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes. Especially the new trend for covering large areas of the body, like thighs and lower legs, in them.

Also noticed neck and face tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable among those who aren't jailed criminals.

People without tats are now more individualistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Tattoos. Ah yes why not express your individuality by being just like everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I know way more working class people with them. The upper class friends I have who get tattoos, only get one and in a place where they are easily covered up (ankle, top of arm).

You sound fun!

Each to their own, I find tattoos can look extremely well on people but that depends on the artistry and complexity of the design as well as it's position on the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

Got loads of tattoos and piercings when I was very young and immature. Regret it. Got some of them removed surgically which left bad scars. There was no laser removal back then. Well there was but it was too expensive. It is who I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Every second gobsh1te has a tattoo these days. So yes, they are trash. I was immature enough to have a couple of tats done in my youth. I had one removed in more recent times but haven't bothered starting on the second one yet. They are magnitudes of order more expensive and painful to remove than having them done in the first place. Thankfully I was at least sensible enough to have them done in region where the are not typically noticeable unless say at the beach. I will hopefully get around to having the 2nd one removed at one point. I hate having it on display in front of the kids when going to the pool although I'm not too bothered by it otherwise. The thoughts of one of them coming home with a neck tattoo or something equally daft when the turn teenagers makes me shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I give them no thought even though I have quite a large one myself upper left arm symbolic to myself as an Irish nationalist and I designed it myself if anyone is offended by it if they see it I couldn't care less. My point is if you have to worry about others sensitivities seeing how it's a one way street once it's done it's for good (other than lazer removal). If anyone worries about being seen as trashy or offending then perhaps a tattoo isn't for them. Artistry and thought are key, and they hurt like hell (I'm a wimp).

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I would look ridiculous with a tattoo so wouldn't ever get one but some people can pull them off. They seem far more prevalent in the UK. The worst one I saw was a Nike logo on the small of a girl's back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Permanent tattoos fail the "can you walk away easily if you change your mind or your circumstances change" test. I was involved in left wing politics in college, some of my comrades got political tattoos but I didn't. They later regretted it as their political views changed with age.

Tattoos seem to be ubiquitous among scumbags but also very common among the general population. Sheeple, in many cases.

Having tattoos is a big part of Thugmaxxing that incels talk about. Even if you aren't a thug, looking like one will get women interested in you so I suppose tattoos do have their uses for men.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

In my opinion, anyone I know with common sense that got a tattoo only got a very tiny one that is out of sight. I would compare a tattoo to a car logo on a luxury car. It compliments the car (like a small tattoo would on a good looking person). However if you had an Audi or Mercedes logo everywhere inside the car, it would start looking tacky. Same with tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

They can look trashy all right...a lot depends on the individual wearing them, how they dress, how they act etc

They can look great too, its all a bit subjective really.

Imo a lot of them don't tend to age well , they ain't pretty on wrinkled flabby skin ..they make it look even worse than it does already

Basically if you are an unattractive flabby scummer the tats probably won't improve matters unsurprisingly (but that might not be your priority anyway) whereas if you are young and attractive and you haven't taken the lizard man option they can look quite good but remember you won't be that way forever and it's possible a lot of people might not think they look quite so good in the future and it may mean people have preconceptions about you regardless of whether that's fair or not.

Then sure maybe in the future if you don't have a tattoo you will be looked down upon, who knows, we could have animated adaptive tattoos that can change skin tone and colour in the future etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Tats are just garbage on garbage. Never seen one where I could honestly say it enhanced an individual. Some say that they can be classy and arty, but truth is the skin is not a canvas worth painting. Most people get the same trash drawn on them. Celtic signs, Chinese Writing, their kids name, or my personal favourite, the name of their ex-partner 😂

Superhero, or Anime characters are popular now. Yeah, that Batman tat will look great when you're 50.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Well at least batman will age in real time along with the person that has it. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 54,572 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All depends, but when you look at the likes a Harry Styles, Beckham and Sheerhan; yes, Trashy and disgusting looking

I have a BIL with a sleeve of the DC heroes on his arm. The Joker looks like a transvestite. Hardly the look he was going for and not exactly what I would call art. A friend of mine was stuck with the name of his ex-wife on his neck and 2 of his 3 children 🤣.

I considered putting my kids names on my upper arm with their birth dates, but only because I always forget their birth dates 😜

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A friend of mine was stuck with the name of his ex-wife on his neck and 2 of his 3 children

Whatever about your own neck, but tattooing your (ex) wife’s name on 2 of your 3 children is way out of line. Imagine how left-out the third child must feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yes. Yes they are.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Depends on the person, the tattoo(s), location of tattoo(s), how many there are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Most people who sport tattoos have rubbish, trashy and deeply unimaginative ones. Tattoos have become so commonplace these days that not having one is becoming different and rather attractive - pretty much what having a tattoo was like about 30 years ago.

I have a small tattoo on the back of my right shoulder. Got it done 20 years ago and no regrets. It’s discreet. Some well-crafted tattoos done well can look good.

Face and neck tattoos - sorry to say, but they look scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

theres no cool or hip about tattoo,s now , large tattoos on the back,neck, legs are trashy, unless they are very small all face tattoo,s are awful.rule no 1 never put someones name as a tattoo .i think if you want to be cool now have no tattoo,s at all or just one small tattoo that is well designed and reflects your interests .i dont think a tattoo of any person superhero or anime character will look attractive on anyone.i think most large tattoo,s look crude and ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I’m not a fan of tattoos but I’ll probably go full James hetfield and get covered in them in my 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

A real tattoo is probably better than henna, henna can cause severe allergic reactions and most hair dyes can't be used if you have had a henna tattoo. I have only seen one person's tattoo that actually really looked well, it was jungle flowers and leaves with a lizard on them. It was done in amazing colours. The colours would have to be redone but the art work itself was very well done. Even faded it would look good. I don't like sleeves or massive ones on legs. They just look like someone let a toddler draw on them with a Sharpie.

Advertisement