Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Murray Kinsellas probable team has both Sheehan and Doris starting, rest as expected. Didn't mention bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Gerry Thornley: no surprises

Keenan; Hansen, Henshaw, Aki, Lowe; Sexton (capt), Gibson-Park; Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Baird, Ryan, O’Mahony, van der Flier, Doris.

Replacements: Kelleher/Herring, Healy, O’Toole, Treadwell/Molony, Conan, Murray, Byrne, O’Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm a bit worried about this game due to Ireland's fewer rest days when compared to England and that the latter will want to make amends for their thrashing last weekend. I can see them looking to kick win as many contacts up front as possible, kick long at every opportunity and use Steward, who is excellent in the air, to regain possession.

But looking at things objectively, Ireland should win this. We've more in form players and a bedded in game plan. Whereas England are yet to find form and are yet to nail down how they want to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We should start our subs and let England bash them up a bit, then bring on the big guns to annihilate them for the second half when the fat lads are too busy puking to hurt anyone anymore.

England will probably be down to 13 or so by then anyway :)

I think people tend to underestimate Genge. When I've heard him speak at length he's come across a far more intelligent and considerate guy than I expected based on first impressions. I think him being a quite direct and abrasive character probably makes him seem very different.

Borthwick had him as Leicester club captain for long enough to make a judgement that he was worth leadership responsibility for England too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

In theory yes. In practice England haven’t shown at any stage this 6N that they have an effective kicking game…It’s nice they want to make amends for last week, I also want to be a millionaire…doesn’t mean I will be though.

I take the argument of England wanting to respond from last week more seriously if England looked good throughout the championship and Saturday was a blip…but in truth no performance England have shown this 6N would be enough for England to even come within 15 points of Ireland so even if they do respond they will need a lot more than just making a response.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, Genge is used to dealing with snobby rubbish like the above, casting aspersions on his intelligence, and is all the better for it. He's an excellent captain in my view. The only downside is he invariably leaves the field after an hour

As an England fan I just can’t see how Ireland don’t win by 15 or more. Our front row is ok and can compete, second row is poor where Itoje’s form has fallen off a cliff and there is no obvious partner,(I would have Jonny Hill personally), the back row is just awful, having no Curry, Underhill or Lawes available shoes, the other guys have shown little to show they can play at this level.

The 10/12/13 that look like they will revert to makes sense, I would go further and play Youngs at 9 as that’s another huge issue. Wingers and full back I would not be criticising, they need the ball to have an impact, Steward has done well.

I do think there is a performance in England somewhere but they probably need to go up 20/30% and Ireland would need to drop to similar levels to make it competitive.

• Advertisement

Team announcement will be delayed to 4.30 today as per off the ball, in order to assess all injuries in camp. Hopefully Doris and Sheehan are passed fully fit 🙏

That's not ideal. If I recall Joe had quite a different approach and being fit throughout the week was essential to selection.

Wonder who it is that they're delaying for or if it's multiple people.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Could be Kelleher as based on latest reports they were thinking he might make the bench and I don't think he was shown training yesterday

I really think it's a bit mental to put two hookers with injury doubts in the 23 when you have an excellent Herring to slot in.

Yeah, complete agreement. I think Kelleher is the better player, but Herring is the epitome of reliable whereas it feels like too big a gamble to me given the issues Kelleher has had with that shoulder.

Thornelys team had Sheehan starting and then Kelleher/ Herring as sub, so you are probably right just waiting on bench decision

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah..definitely agree there.

Whatever about taking one of them at potentially less than 100% , having two of them seems an unnecessary risk.

Start which ever of Sheehan/Kelleher is in best shape and have Herring on the bench.

Sexton is within a month of John Hayes' record of the oldest player to play for Ireland, 33 off ROG's points record

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

England have made a pact. "It's not going to happen again"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/its-not-going-to-happen-again-england-vow-to-put-france-collapse-right-in-dublin-42386974.html

"I don't know what the result is going to be on Saturday, but as long as we fight and have each other's backs, that's what we'll be going after," Ellis Genge.

I'm reminded of the comments from Andrew Trimble about the u20's match last week, when he said he'd a few days like that with Ulster. You gather under the posts and say, Thats it, no more. Then 5 minutes later you are back under the posts going ' well... this time... thats definitely it... no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

If Ireland don’t win by 20+ it should considered a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Fully agree. If they don't win by more than 20 then they should refuse the championship trophy, refuse the triple crown and withdraw from the world Cup on the spot.

And each and every player should be exiled immediately. They'd be an embarrassment to all of us sitting on our couches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

There should be a public flogging with Tommy Bowe singing Black Velvet Band in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

sure even if they win with a bp it won't be a proper grand slam as they didn't get bp against Scotland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If we beat England with a BP this is genuinely going to slightly annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There is a good chance you will be annoyed on Saturday night then.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Any recommendations on pubs in Dublin to watch match on Saturday? big screen preferably. I know of Camden sports bar but any other recs appreciated

There's absolutely nothing on the form, ability, cohesion to say we've anything to worry about barring a fluke upset.

FFS lads. We're best in the world, currently, accept it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in Cardiff 2009, last kick of the game could have robbed us of the GS, I don't care what the score or the winning margin is on Saturday, I just want the win. I suppose it would be nice to have a 2 score lead in the final few minutes but I hate runaway scorelines too.

To win this at home will be huge and anyone who has tickets for this should feel privileged, this is on par to having a ticket for the first game v England in Croke Park, it's part of history.

Advertisement