Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The issue is that you are ignoring the massive baggage attached over the course of the pandemic to the phrase "man made".

So I wouldn't choose to use any of those terms, as I think it probable many people will misinterpret it. If they see "man made" they will not interpret it as you define it. They will see man made and assume the virus is man made, or that it was deliberately released.

For example, one of the meanings of "man made" is "artificial or synthetic rather than natural."

I do not think an 'artificial' or 'synthetic' pandemic is how you would want to people to interpret your definition.

Therefore, in my opinion, "man made pandemic" is not a helpful term. It is not exact enough.

To avoid confusion, unless a less ambiguous \ loaded with baggage term presents itself, I suggest that longer but less open to misinterpretation phrase:

Accidental lab leak of a naturally originating virus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Neither description is accurate.

Both terms were used interchangeably for a wide range of conspiracy claims, from the idea that the virus was created completely as part of plot, to the idea that the pandemic was real, but not dangerous and was being exploited.

Plandemic became more popular because of the propaganda film of the same name.

There was a huge spectrum of claims that you are unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Perhaps you could enlighten us.

man-made

/ˌmanˈmeɪd/

adjective

1. made or caused by human beings (as opposed to occurring or being made naturally)

Is this an inaccurate definition of man made?

If the virus leaked from a lab due to human error was the resulting pandemic caused by human beings?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the context of this thread, "Conspiracy Theories" it is an inaccurate definition because it is not accurate \ precise enough.

Context matters.

Look at the examples from the dictionary you have listed: a man made lake, man-made fibers such as nylon and polyester.

If you want to use a term to distinguish from 'natural', that does not have well known CT baggage, then Anthropogenic is suggested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropogenic_hazard

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What makes you think I ever said it was a bio weapon. Can you show me anywhere I have said I think it is a bio weapon?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭geospatial

The US congressional hearing on Covid hearings started today. So far, imo the interesting revelations are as follows:

When Dr Fauci received emails from a few prominant virolosists in late January 2020 indicating the virus "looked engineered", he hastily convened a conference call to discuss. He did not inform head of the CDC Dr Redfield of these communications, and excluded him from the meeting. Why?

According to Redfield the intelligence that has been declassified to Congress in 2021 indicated that something significant happened at the WIV in Sept/Oct 2019. The lab was taken over by the Chinese military, a contract was issued to replace the ventilation system, and the database of all genetic sequences of viruses they were working on was taken down. Doesn't sound at all suspicious.

There seems to be no confusion in the description of a disaster as a man made disaster or a natural disaster.

There must have been a time in history when the first man made disaster occurred and man made disaster entered the lexicon to describe a disaster that was not natural.

We have never had a potentially man made pandemic before. They have all been natural.

We may have to get used to differentiating between natural pandemics and man made pandemics in a similar way to disasters.

To recap, it is my understanding that there is general agreement that deliberate release of an engineered virus would be classified as a man made pandemic.

Deliberate release of a natural virus would also be considered a man made pandemic.

What people seem to have a difficulty with is classifying the accidental release, through human error, of a natural virus as a man made pandemic.

Is this a fair summary?

• Administrators Posts: 356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Are there any credible conspiracy theories?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Redfield is a controversial figure.

He's also pushing to support Wade as a witness, who supported a hypothesis that the virus was "bioengineered".

He was the head of the CDC, it was an extraordinary decision to exclude him from a discussion on the nature and source of the virus.

• Advertisement

I can guess why it was. When someone jumps to early conclusions from very limited information, it's not a good look for such a position.

Yes, when you're dissussing an issue as important as the nature and origin of a novel pathogen best to only have people in the room who agree with you 🙄

Lab taken over by Chinese military.

Moves to replace ventilation system.

Removal of database of viruses being worked on.

It could be just a series of coincidences that make it look like something happened in the lab in Wuhan which was working on coronaviruses prior to the emergence of a Coronavirus in Wuhan.

Would be interesting to learn had the Chinese military ever taken over the facility before

When the ventilation system was last replaced.

Had the virus database ever been taken down before.

If all three simultaneous events were unique or unusual it would certainly suggest there was some type of incident.

First day went as expected with those witnesses

"Hearing witness Robert Redfield, a virologist who directed the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during former President Donald Trump’s administration, said he was chagrined that he had not been invited to that 1 February phone call. He claimed it was because of his position that the virus could have come from a Wuhan lab—although several members on that call expressed similar views at that time. “It was told to me that they wanted a single narrative,” said Redfield, who contended, “They squashed debate.”

Wade also said the Wuhan lab had in 2018 written in a grant proposal to a branch of the U.S. Department of Defense that it wanted to insert an FCS into bat coronaviruses, a charge repeated by members of the subcommittee. He said rather than a SARS-CoV-2 progenitor evolving this cleavage site, it was “easier to believe that the Wuhan researchers did exactly what they proposed and generated the SARS-2 virus in their lab.”

But the proposal he refers to, which was submitted by the nonprofit EcoHealth Alliance and included many collaborators, explicitly says those proposed experiments were meant to take place at the University of North Carolina (UNC), not WIV. “This section of the proposal was written by collaborators at UNC in the U.S., where the work would have been carried out,” says Peter Daszak, head of EcoHealth, which posted a lengthy critique of other claims made at the hearing. “Importantly the grant was not funded and the work not done.”

Wade did not reply to a request from Science asking whether he had evidence to support his claim that WIV, not a U.S. university, had proposed to do the insertion of the cleavage site."

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

https://bitterwinter.org/covid-19-media-censoring-laboratory-hypothesis/

[quote]Leading scientific journals censored dissenting voices; many science writers at major news outlets promoted narratives or asserted conclusions unsubstantiated by evidence; reporters failed to make even cursory attempts at surfacing potential conflicts of interest of their sources.” 

The security experts believe that “by prematurely dismissing or stigmatizing certain questions—from the very outset of the pandemic— many prominent scientists and journalists failed in their duty. [/quote]

By continuing to insist this topic belongs in the conspiracy theory section, this site is just as guilty at stigmatizing the debate and discouraging the pursuit the truth as any media giant.

This thread is about the virus being deliberately created.

Do you believe it was? If yes, why?

It was a proposal for joint work between UNC and the WIV, similar to other joint work published since 2014. The chimeric viruses are made in Ralph Barics's lab (UNC) and tested on humanized mice in Shi's lab (WIV). From the first paragraph of the proposal "we will sequence their spike proteins...insert them into bat SARSr-COV backbones, to infect humanized mice and access ability to cause SARS type disease". Arguing in the same paragraph that this is not gain of function as the backbone used is not SARS-COV (the virus that caused the outbreak in 2002), which is complete bullshit given the stated goal of the experiment is to infect humanized mice and see if they develop SARS type disease. It's basically semantics and Fauci used the same reasoning in denying the NIH funded gain of function research in Wuhan.

As for risk of lab leak, obviously could happen either at UNC or WIV, but the humanized mice studies were to be done at the WIV so that's the location with the risk of a lab worker being bitten by an infected mouse. Daszak is being disengenious saying the work would be done at UNC.

I would encourage you to read this interview with Peter Daszak and then evaluate his statement. In the interview he states "we were doing one line of work with them (WIV), you would have to ask them what they were doing". In his statement he claims "the grant wasn't funded and the work was not done". How does he know the work wasn't done? There are other sources of funding, both to UNC and the WIV, the CCP would be the largest source of funds by far to the WIV.

Hopefully someone from the US government will clear up why the grant was rejected. If I had to guess I would imagine US Intelligence agencies (DARPA are a research arm of the DOD tasked with developing technologies for the military) decided it was a bit risky collaborating with a totalitarian regime on pathogen research. Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

There is a high probability of a laboratory leak.

Wuhan lab facility is one of the most prestigious labs in the world conducting this research, what are the odds that it came from the street market food chain of the same city in China? Geography isn't something you ignore?

In this case therefore you can imagine scientists and virologists were storing bat-like coronaviruses in frozen containment units, and something could have gone horribly wrong with the electronics storing the samples. It is possible that someone spilled something on a working countertop, did not clean it well, and someone in the lab touched it. Because of the incubation period, may not even realize he had the virus until days later.

There is no dispute in the scientific world that this COVID-19 virus was already adapted to humans from the outset. It took almost a year for the Sars virus to spread from one person to another. Many scientists support the lab hypothesis because other SARS bat-like viruses that we know about don't have this unique "furin cleavage site ( smoking gun) If you're finding a unique RNA sequence in the make up of Covid 19 thats doesnt exist in any other bat virus that something can just pass off is uninteresting.

In light of this unique furin cleavage site, which is anomalous, many scientists are confident the virus originated from a laboratory. If one side says the furin cleavage site shouldn't be there, then the other side should be ready to offer an explanation as to why it isn't an odd discovery.

Weird. The other people who believe there was a conspiracy to cover up the lab leak were insisting that scientists weren't allowed to say that they supported such things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

An open question to King Mob and Dohnjoe. Do either of you have any scientific qualifications?

Andersen's email:

Andersen laid them out plainly in an email to Fauci that same evening. “The unusual features of the virus make up a really small part of the genome (<0.1%) so one has to look really closely at all the sequences to see that some of the features (potentially) look engineered,” Andersen wrote in the email. “I should mention,” he added, “that after discussions earlier today, Eddie, Bob, Mike and myself all find the genome inconsistent with expectations from evolutionary theory. But we have to look at this much more closely and there are still further analyses to be done, so those opinions could still change.

All these people that have no qualifications whatsoever in science and claim they know more than Nobel prize winner Luc Montagnier.

It's just baffling. I do not know how people can be so arrogant and rude in their arrogance and persistently rude. No amount of evidence will stop them in their bullying tactics. It's like a cult. If they were alive in the middle ages they would be calling Galileo a conspiracy theorist despite having never studied astronomy

But Nobel prize winner doesn't mean "infallible."

Scientists make mistakes and false statements all the time.

Meanwhile we have tons of scientists who are also highly qualified, who you guys accuse of being completely incompetent (since they miss something unqualified randos on the internet found by watching youtube) or that they are part of a sinister conspiracy.

I'm also just pointing out the contradiction. On one hand we've been told that there was an effort to suppress scientists from suggesting that it might have been a lab leak. Then on the other we're being told that tons of scientists were presenting evidence that it might have been a lab leak. Doesn't seem like the conspiracy theory is very consistent there and shifts between the two extremes depending on what needs to be link dumped at the time.

I'm going to take that to mean you have no scientific qualifications whatsoever.

Referring to me as 'you guys' is insulting and rude. I don't know you motivation for such rudeness.

Despite what you say, there are not tons of scientists investigating the origin of Covid 19, in general companies don't pay people to do that.

As you well know there were a group with major conflicts of interest that were connected to the research in Wuhan that came out early to strike down discussion on bioengineering of the virus.

I have no idea why you are here pushing so strongly on a narrative on which you are unqualified.

I personally lean towards a possible lab leak but again I do not have enough evidence to do more than speculate. I've little interest in reviewing the literature and publishing and that's probably similar to most with scientific qualifications or working int he area but here you are day in day out claiming to know the truth despite having no qualifications and likely no experience.

It just boggles the mind.

You can take it to mean that if you like. It wouldn't be true though.

When I say "you guys" I'm referring to conspiracy theorists. You believe that there is a conspiracy trying to cover up the idea of a lab leak.

I don't understand what's insulting or rude about that, but accusing people of being bullies etc etc. is fine.

And again, you're accusing me of "pushing a narrative" but I've no idea what narrative you're referring to.

Again I'm pointing out the contradiction in the conspiracy claims that on one had scientists were silenced and on the other, tons are speaking out.

Not sure why you said "despite what I say" when I didn't make any mention of how many people are investigating the issue...

I'm also highlighting the gaslighting going on where folks like yourself are pretending conspiracy theorists were claiming all manner of false and ridiculous things about the virus and pretending that they were right all along.

You are calling me a conspiracy theorist and somehow think that is not rude.

The narrative you push is that anyone discussing this topic is a conspiracy theorist.

You appear to have no qualifications and no experience in the scientific field and make unqualified statements, just look through you comment history. You seem to be a source of disinformation. A primary school child who has never done algebra would not attack a mathematician claiming that slope of a line could be easily calculated in such a manner. Your arrogance and rudeness is off the scale.

I've had enough. Don't bother replying to me.

You're suggesting a conspiracy theory on a conspiracy theory forum. The label isn't an insult nor is it intended as one. It's just accurate.

However, your post persists in several falsehoods. First you claim that I'm pushing a narrative that anyone discussing the topic is conspiracy theorist. I've never claimed that. It's not what I believe and it's not something I push.

You also claim that I have no qualifications. This is false.

You also claim that I am a source of disinformation. Also false and very clear from the lack of examples you provide. This also highlights the issue I mentioned earlier. You are ignoring the vast amounts of disinformation and false claims made on this forum and about this topic made by conspiracy theorists.

You also avoid the point I make about the contradiction in the conspiracy narrative.

All scientists are being suppressed and silenced when people are asked for evidence.

But then tons of scientists are speaking out when conspiracy theorists think they've found stuff to support their claims...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭emo72

We'll probably never know. But I don't think it's a conspiracy theory that many people believe it's a lab leak. It came from somewhere. Anyone would half a brain could see that there was a narrative telling us, to follow the science, and not to question it. The whole idea of science is that it is to be questioned and probed.

"Follow the science" is a new religious mantra, it's code for shut up and don't question me you pleb. They could have been just honest, and said we don't know where it came from, until it's definitive all options are on the table. No one would blame them, it was a novel scenario, and everyone was scrambling.

Why is this a conspiracy theory anyway? It should be in current affairs.

But no one is arguing that claiming it might be a lab leak is a conspiracy theory.

What's being called a conspiracy theory is notions like the virus being man made as a bioweapon. Or as some Nobel prize winners claim: as a secret cure for AIDS.

Claiming that there was a narrative to silence or censor people is also a conspiracy theory people are suggesting.

The only folks who have been saying stuff like "shut up and don't question me you pleb" are conspiracy theorists who have been declaring certain scientists inerrant and infallible. For example:

All these people that have no qualifications whatsoever in science and claim they know more than Nobel prize winner Luc Montagnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭emo72

There absolutely was a narrative to dismiss the lab leak hypothesis.

• Advertisement

Ok. But we haven't been seeing any solid reason to believe that.

So far it's been a lot of conflating things, overstating things and just out and out lies.

We've been told contradictory things about who is behind this narrative, why and how they are achieving this. And it goes from some people wrote a strongly worded open letter, to the US government operating a global conspiracy involving every scientist and media organisation.

And of course this is all while the actual misinformation and conspiracy theorists are downplayed, rewritten or erased from reality.

Advertisement