Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If a natural virus escaped from a lab due to poor bio security then there is a responsibility with the lab.

Similar to the lion escape analogy, if a lion escapes and kills people due to poor security the blame lies with those responsible for securing the lion not those who built the roads the lion walked upon.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And at no point in this thread, or any others about covid conspiracies, until a couple of posts ago did anyone claim that "man made" by their definition meant the same thing as "accidentally escaped from a lab".

If a lion escapes from a zoo and mauls some people, nobody is claiming that the lion is man made which is what you are now trying to twist your position to so you can claim to have been saying something different all along.

You are mistaken.

If the virus escaped from the lab. The Covid pandemic was man made. Surely no one is arguing that this is not the case.

man-made

/ˌmanˈmeɪd/

adjective

1. made or caused by human beings (as opposed to occurring or being made naturally

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The studies I've linked has multiple new coronavirus found near Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But the point you keep missing is that conspiracy theorists weren't claiming that the pandemic was man made simply because it was a lab leak.

Even still your definition is flawed completely. The pandemic would still not be man made in the event of a lab leak, as that's something the virus does by itself. You can only claim that the lab leak is "man made" which is a bit redundant.

• Advertisement

Completely wrong.

To use an analogy. If you captured a lion in the wild, brought it to a city of 8 million people. Allowed the lion to escape because of poor security. The lion goes on to kill people and your defence is, well I am not responsible because killing people is just what lions do, you would be laughed at.

By any definition, if the lab leak theory is true, it is a man made pandemic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No.

But let's say for a moment that is actually what conspiracy theorists were meaning when speaking about it being "man made". Please explain what the conspiracy is in this scenario?

Remember that we are looking for credible conspiracies, and this is a brand new one that you have come up with where "man made" means something totally new in relation to covid/ pandemic/ lab leaks/ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have no recollection of anyone using the phrase in the manner you now use it.

It was clear they meant the virus itself was man made. Not that there was some human accidental involvement in its release. It usually meant the virus was man made and - commonly - deliberately released.

Find us the posts\articles from 2020-2021 where that phrase is used in the meaning you apply to it. This will show it was a common understanding of the phrase.

Because otherwise - you are engaged in revisionism and hair splitting without foundation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We're on the conspiracy forum. Conspiracy theorists have been saying from the start that it was deliberately created and deliberately released.

The current scientific consensus is that it was not deliberately man-made. And there's no evidence that it was deliberately released (so far the theories are wet market or incidental release from a lab)

But it's not a man made lion. Nor is it a man made lion rampage.

You are misrepresenting my argument. I did not and do not argue someone is "not responsible because killing people is just what lions do".

You are conflating the idea of responsibility with the term "Man made".

• Advertisement

So a lion escaping from a lab is not a natural event and people are responsible but a virus escaping from a lab is……?

If Dolly the sheep, remember the first clone sheep, escaped and went on a rampage then it could be called a man made sheep. But the fact that they escaped from their sheep lab by accident would still be an accident and not a man made release of rampaging sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭geospatial

"Lab leak" simply means that patient zero was a lab worker that got infected in the lab and then infected others outside the lab. The virus in question could be a virus that was collected in the wild or a virus that had been manipulated.

"Man made" is an ambiguous and confusing term. In the context of Covid, the only meaning that makes much sense is that SARS2 was a SARS type coronavirus that was manipulated in a lab and became more infectious to humans because of the manipulation.

Let’s look at your analogy. Even if Dolly was a naturally occurring sheep and Dolly escaped from the lab due to poor security and it was known that Dolly was lethally dangerous and if escaped would kill people, would the people at the lab be held responsible for those deaths?

I haven’t been saying that it was deliberately created or deliberately released.

I am saying that if, through human error, a virus escaped from a lab which resulted in a pandemic, the pandemic was brought about by human error, ie man made pandemic.

The hairsplitting is arguing that a deliberate release from a lab is a man made pandemic ie caused by humans, but an accidental release from a lab is not.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,380 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"man made" means made by man

"natural" means made by nature

the virus is not man made

But I have answered your question. And this is aside from your misrepresentations of my arguments.

Conspiracy theorists were claiming that the virus (Not the pandemic) was man made.

But conspiracy theorists both at the time and now are not being ambiguous.

They claim that the virus was artificially created or manipulated for nefarious purposes.

It is only ambiguous to you now because you guys are trying to downplay the conspiracy theory claims.

So if a virus leaked from a lab due to human error, causing a pandemic, is the resulting pandemic man made, caused by man or naturally occurring.

Is a lab leak a natural event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yes but "man-made" also equals deliberately made pandemic.

This is why people have specifically said "accidental lab leak" or "incidental lab leak". Semantics, but an important distinction

I don't think I've heard the term "man made pandemic" before today. The more common term used by conspiracy theorists was "plandemic." Or "Scamdemic" if they were feeling more clever.

Again, totally disingenuous. We are talking about the possibility of human error resulting in a leak and you are referring to plandemic and scamdemic.

How would you refer to a pandemic caused by human error in a laboratory?

Is it a natural event or is it caused by humans?

Yes, and an equally important distinction is that an accidental lab leak due to human error in a laboratory is not a natural event.

Yes. I am referring to those terms because are are the terms that were actually used by conspiracy theorists. I don't recall anyone ever refering to the idea of a "man made pandemic."

So how would you characterise a pandemic brought about by human error?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is that what you are talking about?

Or are you talking about how these terms relate to how they were used in 2020?

You accept that terms such as plandemic and scamdemic were commonly used by CTers back in 2020 and 2021?

And that your phrasing natural event \ man made pandemic is a new phrasing and in no way proves such 'plandemic' or 'scamdemic' claims from earlier in the pandemic?

And that the common use of 'man made' in the past related to a man made virus? And not how you are using it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The same cycles repeated for swine flu as well.

Started off with claims that it was a bioweapon to wipe out specific people. Then a bioweapon to kill us all. Then it was obviously fake and completely harmless and only intended to scare us into taking vaccines. Then there were the claims that the vaccine would kill us all/implant us with mircochips etc. Or people would be herded into camps for not getting the vaccines. Then when all of those weren't coming true after the first few months, the conspiracy became about how the vaccine was killing thousands or secretly making people sterile, but we wouldn't know for years. The it tapered off as the news cycle moved on. It would only flare back up whenever a news story came out with something negative about response to the virus that had never been mentioned by conspiracy theorists before, yet was used to claim they were right all along.

We're in the tapering off stage now, so thankfully we're over the hump.

The next question is if the same cycle will still be as lucrative the next go around. I imagine with this pandemic being as bad as it was, and the conspiracy theories being so over blown and so pervasive, that most people will be over it. I think the narrative will be shifted over to climate disasters next.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,380 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement

From my understanding plandemic refers to people who believe the pandemic was planned and scamdemic refers to people who believe there was no pandemic.

I believe nether. If the virus was released due to human error the resulting pandemic is caused by humans therefore is a man made pandemic.

Look, if vials of Spanish Flu, H1N1 A virus, were being transported by train, and the train crashed, for example, like the recent terrible train crash in Greece. The H1N1 virus spread, resulting in a pandemic causing millions of deaths. This would be a man made disaster, a man made pandemic. Even though the virus was not man made and the leak was not deliberate.

Advertisement