Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Did the exact same. Worked a treat. It's still open every second gap, so he can still get in and do under the tramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

That sounds like a good plan but far above my intelligence, ability and time.

Looking into it, I might try to get an off limits attachment. Will help solve the trampoline (and maybe goal post) conundrum and using shortcuts could also cut down on the time taken returning home. Doesn't look like it works for the mower finding zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

If I left it one spot long enough the grass underneath gets too thin. The dog loves to lie under it and turns it in to a mud bath. Washing the dog was more hassle than moving it every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

My grass grows just as well if not better under the trampoline, you may get rid of the dog 😁

My dog sheds practically all yr round and her hair is slowly wrecking the drive motors on the back wheels of my Husky 450x.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Bring the dog in the house and buy a robot vacuum cleaner. 😁

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

One step ahead, have the robot hoover and the robot mop on the go. For me the dog hair wraps around front wheels on the lawnmower and works it’s way in to the bearings. Twice has caused one the wheels to pop off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Shave the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fiona ryan2

New to this thread and want to buy a robotic mower. I hope this comment is allowed but does anyone know of somewhere around Dublin/Louth/Meath that sells robotic mowers and will install it? I have a 2 part garden with some inclines so I doubt I could do it myself! Ive emailed a few companies and the only ones that came back were ones from down the country saying they don't look after Dublin (Fingal!).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hackersphorr

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fiona ryan2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kennyod

Hi, my lawn is flat and approx 650 sqm. Interested in worx landroid m1000 but no where to be found in Ireland this yr. Would a 700m2 one do the job, i feel it would but would love to hear from someone who has one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CowSniffer

Hi Everyone, a question for anyone who has bought a husqvarna from the continent. Are you doing all the servicing yourself? or do you have someone to send it to in Ireland if you encounter a serious issue?

I've heard that the Husq dealers will generally fob you off unless you would have bought from them, which in fairness I understand.

Also whats the warranty like on them? I see different figures online.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I'm waiting to get my first automower delivered on Wednesday.. yayy.

But, before that.. Ive had some weed control fabic (landscaping fabric?) under the trampoline for a coupla years.. never any problem with it.

Yer dog could roll around in there all day and it wouldn't get muddy.

Cheers. I’ve since squared off an area and put down membrane and gravel so no more moving. Also helps its permanently tied down now so no last minute dash when the wind comes up.

@CowSniffer bought mine from my robot centre 5 years ago. Local dealer has fixed it no problem but I never asked to get anything done under warranty. If you had a warranty issue you should be dealing with where you bought it or husqvarna before you’d ever end up at the local dealer. If husqvarna tell you bring it to the dealer then they won’t say no. I presume dealers just don’t want people arriving at the door with broken machines arguing warranty should pay when maybe it’s not a warranty fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

There isn't really much servicing.

Nothing has broken on mine yet after 2 seasons, so thankfully all good so far.

It's pretty petty for a dealer not to support one bought elsewhere. What are they saving? It's not going to stop people buying elsewhere. All they're doing is turning away margin on parts and labour for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Where is the best value place on the continent now? Myrobotcentre is gone?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Myrobotcentre is gone and took a lot of peoples money with them.

I would use amazon.de, then use a mail forwarding service.

There are also sellers on amazon that will deliver to Ireland but with a premium price vs amazon.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

Lads put in a load of trees over the winter. Have to set up islands now for Luigi. Any tips or tricks roughly going to need 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭blackbox

I put a piece of land drainage pipe (approx 30 cm long and split down one side) around the trunks and let Joey bump into then. Young trees are unharmed. Pipe can be removed when bark is stronger. Much simpler than running wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Have encountered a problem with my Husqvarna 330X. Just starting its 4th season. Put it out yesterday for the first run of the year. Worked away fine for a few hours and then seen it stopped in the lawn, went over and seen message no loop signal, knew there was no cut wire so went over to charging station and seen no green light so obviously no power going to it. Had a look at the plug, changed the fuse and still no look, had a look at the power cable and could not see any damage, opened the back and did not seem any loose connection or anything where the power cables goes in, so was stumped and left it. Went out this morning pulled the mower out of the charging station and the green light was on again, a mystery. So put it working again and again worked for about 2 hours until stopped again in the middle of the lawn, and again no green light, no power. Any ideas, or has anyone had the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I've had a few of the transformers die on me. It will either be that or the docking station itself but my money would be on the transformer (they are poor quality). €220 to replace, if it is that. 😱

Had similar. Through voltage testing thought it was the board and replaced that. Turned out to be the cable between transformer and charging station. Had gotten a couple of bumps and had a tiny bit of damage but must have been enough to let some moisture in. All the bits from plug to base station are a bit saucy so worth playing around with a multimeter to figure it out.

https://youtu.be/AnBMnDMOcEw

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Redlim

For anyone looking at options for a new mower it seems that the Segway Navimow will be available directly in Ireland in the next few weeks. Their website has added Camway in Portarlington as a dealer. But from what I can see they seem to be only a distributor to other dealers rather than a retailer, so might need to wait another bit for retailer details.

I bought one of these from Belgium last year and I'm very happy with it. It works totally off GPS so there's no need for boundary wires. You simply draw the boundary map using your phone as a remote control walking beside the mower and you can have multiple sections of lawn. These are connected with virtual paths across your driveway so there's no worries about having to cut into tarmac etc. to install wires.

You can now make edits to the virtual boundary very quickly after a recent update. Can also add islands around trees, garden furniture, goalposts etc. which is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I paid €2000 for mine last year. That's the H1500 which covers up to 1500sqm. The name corresponds to the max lawn size.

Looks like they've gone up a small bit this year. Below are the Robocleaners prices in Belgium where I bought mine. Hopefully similar pricing here.

• H500 is €1500
    • H800 is €1750
    • H1500 is €2200
    • H3000 is €2700

They have also just announced a new accessory with a camera that improves obstacle avoidance (e.g. toys left on the lawn) which should work better than the previous ultrasonic sensor.

Editing to add that you've to pay extra for the camera or ultrasonic sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Thud

interesting to hear, I was trying to get hold of one and had ordered a Navimow last year but the order was cancelled.

The initial feedback on Reddit wasn't good, when did you get yours have you had any of the problems reported on there or has the software been updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have a 3 part lawn, various sides of a large 2 storey house. A short ditch with trees bounding one part, wooden fence another part. Concerned GPS system might falter, but would give serious thought to a no wire system which has good feedback. Also prefer a mower that cuts in an organised manner that isn't randomly trekking around.

😎

Got mine around July last year. There were certainly some minor frustrations with it initially but they are very proactive with regular OTA firmware updates and their support team are very responsive to queries.

The most annoying thing for me was if the mower lost its GPS lock for about a minute it would then return all the way back to base. If you had a tricky section it would get stuck in this loop of constantly returning to base which wasted the battery and stalled the mowing progress as it wouldn't just skip that spot. Now it will wait in place or move slightly to recover its GPS lock and then carry on mowing. The new Vision Fence camera accessory will supposedly make a big difference in areas where the GPS signal isn't as strong (e.g. near big trees or channels between walls). There's some videos about it on the Navimow website and YouTube. Looks like anybody who bought the mower last year will get this for free so I look forward to trying it out. Hope to get it this month.

Another frustration was if you wanted to make a change to the virtual boundary of one of the lawns you had to redo that whole section. Now you can chop and change it much easier.

There's a large status ring light on top of the mower which was way too bright at night (even when docked). Another update introduced dark mode where in the app you can dim this light way down at night. You can adjust the times for different times of year.

It's working perfectly for me now. Hoping they'll add some more features to the app, such as being able to select which lawn to start the cutting in rather than always doing the section where the base is first. I'd prefer if I could set it to start in the front lawn rather than the back since the roadside is more visible to the public! But that's only a minor thing as once it's cutting regularly the grass will always be maintained.

• Advertisement

Their website has a handy checklist tool to see if your lawn layout is suitable which is definitely worth trying. It lets you add in details like your house size, proximity to outbuildings, walls, trees etc.

My own lawn is in 3 sections also. In my response to @Thud above I mentioned the frustrating constant loop of returning to base that used to happen before the firmware update. This was happening directly under a big tree with a wide canopy that was also close to our boundary wall with the neighbours. That's the only area where it struggled a bit. It works fine along the rest of the boundary wall where there are other trees but they don't hang over the lawn much. The Vision Fence camera would probably be useful for you also for any tricky spots.

The positioning works by aggregating the GPS of the mower as well as the stationary antenna that's on a stake in the ground next to the base station. It's important this antenna is located in a spot with a good wide view of the sky as this gives the best accuracy. There's an extension kit that will allow you place the antenna on a wall or on your roof. I bought this but haven't installed it yet as it's working fine now since the firmware update. If you move the antenna you need to redraw your maps.

I agree on the organised cutting pattern. Seems more efficient to me and the parallel stripes look really well.... to me anyway! It rotates the angle each time it starts a new mowing cycle so it doesn't wear tracks into the lawn from constantly going the same direction. E.g. it might go north/south in the first cycle and then rotate 45° and mow NW/SE the next time.

Advertisement