Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bunderoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

@Redlim does it do parallel stripes?

As well as extender, it possible to have an extra antenna to help the mower and ensure reliability/help triangulation? Have seen the website survey but my main fear is size, distance, opposite sides of house with walls in the way.

how does the navimow get on at crossing a driveway/path?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

**Edit, sorry I tagged some other people by mistake and I'm not sure how to remove them!

@PokeHerKing@poker--addict yep it leaves visible parallel stripes@poker2k9 on the lawn. It doesn't do this with a roller or anything, it's just the visible tracks from the wheels. Nothing too fancy but I think it looks well.

As far as I know they don't have the ability to add a second antenna at the moment. Not sure if it's something they'll bring out later. My base station and antenna are located right on the rear boundary of our half acre site. It has no issue getting out to and cutting the front lawn which is the other side of our tall house. It communicates with the base/antenna via radio signal so it's got decent range, a couple of hundred metres maybe. If you're worried about this on a larger site could you place the base/antenna somewhere more central, e.g. on the house or garage wall/roof, or an open spot with decent view of the sky?

No issues with crossing the driveway. That's as long as it's not loose gravel or stones of course, but it can drive over compacted stone alright. You just draw your own channels between the lawn sections wherever you want it to cross. This was important for me as I wanted to ensure it didn't cross where cars could easily drive over it! Not having to cut into the driveway to lay guide wires was great here also.

Ok, sounds similar to my property setup. I might need to lower some curbs. Driveway is solid.

is there any serious competitor? I see Hus 430X has a new "nera" model, but the GPS aerial is separate accessory, so looks like probably 4200euro if not a bit more? navimow 3000 is about 2800euro?

😎

Yeah the Husqvarna looks good also but very pricey! Another one I saw is the crowdfunded Mammotion Luba which is due out soon but not sure if we can get it here.

Actually here's a link to an article from last year with a bunch of other wirefree options. No idea what's actually available yet though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://therobotmower.co.uk/2021/12/02/robot-mowers-without-a-perimeter-wire/&ved=2ahUKEwi0gtrH48T9AhUNXcAKHd5NBTMQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2zPN8qnrEPryrAu_KySIEC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

Luigi back on the lawn today. Few amendments to the perimeter wire but other than that touch wood seems ok. Well that is until the app tells me me my data plan has expired and mower can’t update. No harm I’ll do it through the ambrogio app. No go keeps coming up bad url no website option. So stumped on what to do any advice???

The Luba looks good. Albeit there has been scam after scam for auto mowers on kickstarter- at least that one looks legit with a working mower and plenty of videos. Not often seeing a discount to warrant the lack of proven products though- much the same price as the navimow.

the gap is price to husq seems excessive, the only counter thought in my mind though is my family has a Husq push mower and it's by far the best quality mower I have ever used!

😎

And funnily enough I have a family member with a Husq ride-on (bought new) which has given loads of trouble! Lovely machine when it's working though. Got so frustrated with it that they bought a robot and the ride-on is now consigned to being a back-up. The robot is actually a Husq too and they're delighted with it.

It's definitely a big jump up in price for the new wire free Husq compared to some of the cheaper options like Navimow or Luba. Even though I'm extremely happy with the Navimow it's very hard for me to recommend it with absolute confidence to somebody as it will work perfectly for some, but could potentially be a disaster for others depending on the site layout. It was a bit of a gamble getting it, but thankfully it worked out (so far!) and it gets better with the regular updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, not sure if I'm the first, to post about the impending demise of my robot mower, but think it's time to call it a day for my robomow rs615pro.

Bought 2018 for 2,600 euro, spent probably close to 1000 euro on parts, motors etc or j it up until end of season 2022.

Showing problems again this year, needs new motor amongst other things, so genuinely think it's time to put it out of it's misery.

Total cost of ownership over 3,600 euro, and lasted me nearly 5 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That’s a poor experience. Maybe bad luck or maybe poor quality mower. It would be good to hear from other Robomow owners

Just to give an additional data point. I have a Husq 330X for 9 seasons now. Same motors. wheels, sensors etc since day 1. Changed battery last year.

Only poor part of it is the transformer (I’m on 4th one). Tbf, the last one was a lightning strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Yeah, thinking of a husq or a landroid if anyone has any opinions on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Waiting for the cold snap to pass this week, then Carlos will be back out for his summer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks for that, i will get a multimeter and start trying to find where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Big difference in price but big difference in reliability. Husqvarna could run for weeks without issue whereas the Landroids I’ve seen get themselves in trouble daily or even multiple times a day and need to be moved and restarted and dig holes or trenches along the boundary wire

Seen one or two irish commenting on their kicktstarter after buying....anyone able to review for us?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Dozz

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1688635537/heisenberg-lawnmeister-all-in-one-robot-mower-with-vision-ai?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Heisenberg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I had a similar problem with my Worx (up to a point), same age as yours.

Sent it out, drove around a bit and then was complaining about missing boundary wire. My base station did have a green light though (boundary good). Over the next few days before I got a chance to investigate further, that turned into a red light (boundary bad). Does the Husq display a light when the boundary is bad?

Last weekend, armed with an AM radio I tried to find where the issue was. I unplugged the return wire to the base station, tuned the radio til it got interfered with by the wire (about 90 for me) and followed the wire around til I found the area it stopped interfering.

My boundary wire is a serious patch job at this stage as we have changed the layout of the lawn multiple times. But without it taking any physical damage, the connection just went bad after a certain point. This point happened to be between two connectors so I just dug that section up and replaced it. Working happily since. I'm guessing the first connector was faulty, or maybe the wire was bad, but the wire was intact even after me digging it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The unsurprisingly never sent one to me anyways :D

As far as I know they only sent one "review" unit out and they asked that person to not review it, only to post a demo of it driving around. So that wouldn't have inspired me with confidence!

There are a couple of videos of them that are working, from "Beta testers" I'm not sure the wider backer community has received theirs yet? I'm sorry I didn't back it for a dollar or two to see the backer updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

no issues with that on my Landroid once the initial set up teething issues were resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

Hi guys, I have a husqvarna 430x that has worked for 2 and a half seasons from new. Never abused or overworked as my lawn is a lot smaller then what the 430x is speced for. Always regularly cleaned and put away every winter for 4 months in storage. It has worked like a dream and never giving bother. My problem is my dogs, I have 3 who absolutely love digging up the boundary wire, I buried the wire from the start but it's like a game to them now to dig it up and chew it. I must have repaired my wire over 30 times in this time. I'm wondering would anyone on here have interest in buying a 2nd hand automower or anyone have any experience selling one? Obviously I forked out 3.5k 3 years ago and want to recoup some. I'm very interested in buying a wireless automower and that is my only reason for sale. Thanks

• Advertisement

I'm located in Kilkenny but can send or travel to meet if someone was really interested in buying. It's still all on original parts and working 100%

@poker--addict and anyone else interested in the Navimow - it's being sold by Coughlans Garden Equipment in Carlow (who has prices listed) as well as Brian O'Neill in Castleisland. Possibly others also if you want to contact Camsaw who are the wholesaler in Portarlington.

Might suit you @murfler also as it's wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

I have two lawns totalling 2200m2 - would anyone kindly recommend a robot for this size area?

What's our general sense of the lifespan of a navimow or Husq?

and to put depreciation in context has anyone paid someone else to cut around 1800sqm/0.5 acres?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ahh Christ where were you two weeks ago when I shelled out for a new 430X here !!!

So far its a great yoke.. overspecced for my garden too.. but feck it I just didn't want a hobby, I want an appliance that just bloody works.. and this one really seems to. Had to rescue it the other morning when the wheels were iced up and it was spinning away against the kids slide.. but other than that its just done its job. And in fairness I should have taken it in out of it when that shite weather was forecast.

If anyone else is thinkin about buying that one secondhand I would highly recommend it !!

I'd defo consider it, although mentally I definitely shifted mindset to wireless- don't want a hobby either!!

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

The Husky should keep going for years, all the parts are easily replaceable and are readily available.

I have mine 5 years, and I'll I have had to replace was battery and a sensor as well as normal wear and tear items like blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Hi everyone,

I have a 415x that I got last year. My house is a new build so the garden had no obstacles as such, now however I'm after getting a swing and slide set for the kids. What's the best way to sort the mower for this? Do I run a guide wire all around it or do I set a no go area. Would it cause damage if I just let me mower bump into it.

• Advertisement

Just let mower do its thing, might get stuck under slide at times but i just put half a cement block under the slide so it just hits off that now and turns away

Advertisement