Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

I'm considering a robot mower and have two separate lawns that I'm considering connecting with a strip of grass for ease of use. What width would it need to be or does it depend on the mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Ive a Husqvarna and have a similar strip. I'd recommend minimum 1metre wide, the wider the better to avoid getting stuck, tearing up the lawn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have similar layout. I purchased two smaller mowers instead as it would have had to cross the drive if only had one.

Purchased two Husqvarna units second hand for 1k. But if not crossing a drive one unit probably makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

As a matter if interest where did you get them 2nd hand, didn't think there was much of a 2nd hand market yet?

One from Germany and one from Switzerland.

I'll try and find the details, one of them had several of the Husqvarna 105 models used at the time. I think this was only about 350 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

I finally settled on a einhell FREELEXO 400 BT Robot lawnmower. Got it off Amazon UK for about €380 delivered using address pal. Fingers crossed it will be a good buy. I only have a 300m2 flat single area lawn so hopefully it will do the job nicely.

One of the reasons I liked it was the ability to simply switch batteries if it develops a problem. I have had a few issues with batteries in other pieces of equipment lately that have been a pain to replace so it seemed a good idea.

Has anyone any experience of the einhell mowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Can't find any reviews. I went with the Worx Landroid for the same reason because I can swap the battery out and then buy other tools to use with it

Just wondering if anyone has found a cheap robot lawnmower garage? cheapest I found was 85

Checked where I purchased this. It was listed on ebay for 500 but he took a best offer of 350. They have no Husqvarna listed currently, just one Gardena model.

But looking at their feedback over the last six months it looks like they must have used Husqvarna ones regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 4628cbr1000

hello to everyone here .

first post

i'm thinking of a robot mower , my mower is rusted out welding can't help anymore.has anyone used or got an Ambrogio robot mower,

any advice on ambrogio Twenty 25 elite or users of this manufacturer would be very helpful , my garden size off 1,600 square meters approx, it's a shoe box shape with septic tank to one side so should be simple to navigate, i hope . small area in the front but ill do myself its small.

thanks

james

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Last year was my first year with a robot mower (Word L2000) and I was delighted with it through the summer.

I took it into the garage from mid October as it was so wet (mower kept getting stuck in mud and kids kept carrying wet grass clippings in the house) but now realised the error of that.

Have had it out for the past week and the grass is far too high, thick and damp for it to cut effectively. Frequently gets stuck just in the lawn so I'm out a lot freeing it.

Lesson learned for next year I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, that is a real problem with the robots. The first cut of the year can be a problem if you bring it in too early the previous year or put it out too late.

They have a much lower height limit than a petrol mower where you can just slow down. The robots only have one speed so if the grass is too high they won’t cut.

I also think grass growth was much stronger this winter. It has caught me this year too and I have the robot nearly 10 years now! I had to borrow a ride on to get the first cut done.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sligopaul

It's a catch situation, I brought my lad out end of Jan last year but ground was damp and it led to deep grooves round the boundary which I have filled with stones as mower was beaching. Any later last year and I would have had to do a manual cut. This year and mower is still sleeping but lawn will definitely need a manual cut

• Registered Users Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You won't use the battery for the mower for any other purpose. And perhaps you shouldn't. The mower will be practically running often and always. So reserve the battery for it on its own.

All mowers have an easily replaceable battery just open the lid I've replaced my mccullogh After around 3-4 years use.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This happens. Increase the blade height if you can top setting. Mine did it for 3 days. It's now back running normal.

Plus Last week there was 2 frosty mornings which make wheels spin at the best of times.

Just wondering how often people swap the blades?

It wasn't about the price :-) just wondering how often I should change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It would depend on lawn size and grass growth. There isn’t a set answer

If it looks like it’s “whipping” the grass rather than cutting it cleanly then you need to change them.

• Advertisement

FYI for Worx landroid owners

I have an issue with keypad on one of them. Logged a call with Worx and they came back saying it would be a repair done by the Irish repair shop.

Repair place is in Cork and called Frank Clark Ltd. Seemingly I have to ship to them, they repair and send back. Just waiting to confirm but at least a certified repair shop now in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

ambrogio 250i elite s+ problem: Hi folks I forgot to disable my mowers geofence when bringing for a service. Now it thinks it has been stolen. I have trie resetting the geofence but it worked for a day but has now stopped and I can't get the screen to switch on and the mower won't connect with the mobile app. Any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I've the L2000 1 year now. Same as yourself, took in it for the winter. Delighted with it.

Took it out last week and its like it never had a rest. Lawn back looking 'cut'.

Going to see if I can get a little creative this year as I have another back lawn and a smaller play area the other side of the house so it will mean either extending the existing ground wire or installing a new one and a RF/WIFI relay (shelly, maybe) to switch the lines over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭blackbox

Joey made his debut for 2023 today after almost 3 months in the shed.

Anyone else's out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭denismc

I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen a battery temperature alarm on a Husqvarna? I have had it pop up a few times in the last few weeks and it prevents the battery from charging.

When I go into the sub menu it is showing the battery temperature at 60 degrees! , Obviously a bad sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Fair play if yours is looking 'cut' already. Mine is still patchy/clumpy but it's getting there.

Like you I'm now looking to extend the cutting area. Late autumn/early winter I connected the front lawn (cleared weeds, shoots, tree roots and sowed grass seed).

What's the RF/WiFi way you mentioned?

Also do you/anyone here have advice on preventing the mower from getting trapped in the net of a goal post and the legs and straps of a trampoline?

The trampoline is pretty much fixed so thinking of creating a no-go zone around the legs and straps, though that would be a bit of a pain.

The goalpost is small and we move it around. So maybe planks of wood inside and outside the base?

Any better ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

I put timber in between the legs of the trampoline to stop it getting stuck on top of the bars. Worked well. Eventually got sick of moving the trampoline around the garden so put in a patch of gravel to sit it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Any good value available at moment

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Bury the legs below the ground, no need to go deep and mower will run underneath and keep it cut, just trim around the legs every few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

My main lawn is 1000sqm so if I add the back and side lawn, the overall boundary will be about 2000sql when taking in distance travelled.

I dont want my landroid having to travel all the way around zone 3 and then 1 just to get to the base.

This is what Im referring to:

I'd run a new boundary wire that covers back lawn (zone 2) and side lawn (zone 3) and then twice a week flip the relay switch so the voltage goes down the new boundary wire and the landroid goes to zone 2. Set the distance for start of 'zone2' (which will really be zone 3) for cutting the play area.

That's the plan anyway and im sure there will be some major tweaking along the way.

Advertisement