Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Worrying to think that even when the works are fully completed the whole city will still be gridlocked if we see the same thing we saw yesterday with an overnight vehicle blocking one bore and a breakdown in the other.

The free flow tunnel to city still has not been touched, they will be doing well to get that opened before the end of Feb as mentioned in the newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It has to be reduced to 1 lane to make the junction work. Left lane entering the tunnel will take all traffic from N25 east and west while right will will take N8 traffic.

If N8 traffic was allowed in both lanes it would cause chaos with N25 traffic trying to merge into the left lane entering the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think that one really won't make much difference until the roundabout is removed. At pretty much all times that lane is jammed by cars waiting at the lights, so nice as it would be, I think it won't help that much.

My next wild prediction is that they'll do two things together next

• Open the Tivoli - N40S loop but terminate it at the roundabout next to the M8 for now. That will allow the current Tivoli - Roundabout slip to be closed and another set of traffic lights removed.
    • Redirect N25W to N40S traffic down under the new bridges to the south of the current slip and plug it into the current setup where the Little Island road joins at the slip traffic lights. Then they can demolish the current slip and build the new Little Island south roundabout to N25W bridge.

Completely agree. They’ll have to do some sort of traffic light tie in for the loop for now.

Pushing the N25 west to tunnel onto the new alignment will be a huge change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AnnoyedOfMidleton

Braving the racetrack once again the racetrack at Dunkettle Interchange, where the works are poorly designed, badly managed, and you take your life as being at risk by following the posted the speed limit, I've once again come away shaking from more aggressive displays of driving.

The speed limit here for some reason is 60kph, and the management of the roadworks have decided to also this week close off one lane almost all the way to Little Island heading Eastbound, with the lane to go to Little Island now performing the function of a regular road traffic lane, that you have to somehow get out of and merge into the 80-100kph traffic going past, if you want to do something other than head towards Glounthaune.

My attempt to do so tonight was met with flashing lights and horns from drivers going too fast who thought that my doing 60kph was too slow, as I needed to move into the lane next to me to get where I needed to go, instead of going where I didn't want to.

Has there been any discussion with the management of these works as to the considerable risk their bad management of these works poses? I've complained and have in response been gaslighted with claims that they 'monitor the traffic speed' with the aim of adjusting if necessary. Most would call that lying, as there is no evidence that the entire design of the works and speed limits is anything other than an exercise of box ticking and 'sure what can you do'.

They do of course have the sporadic exercise of a clearly marked van parked with a speed camera. That everyone dutifully slows down for, in those brief moments on those isolated days of the month that it is there. Outside of which the average speed limit must be at least 80kph, with many doing well in excess of that.

If I cause, or suffer an accident, from driving at the speed limit, due to another driving behaving with the reckless abandon that Irish drivers do when they aren't subject to the immediate scrutiny of a camera (because there is nothing else, apparently available in the toolkit other than lazy policing), will the Gards and the management of these roadworks pretend they didn't know the problem existed?

You'd have to be blind to miss it, but I expect somehow 'no one could have known' would be the response?

Please, can something be done about the speeding, which is more than just the odd driver every now and then. It's just about everyone going well over the speed limit if they can, any time of the day. I shouldn't have to choose between protecting myself from risk by similarly speeding, or risking my own safety by complying with the speed limits while almost no one else does with impunity.

• Advertisement

Team are doing an excellent job in letting traffic flow while having to contend with working in confined spaces in my opinion. Drivers speeding has nothing to do with the build and design team. This is an enforcement matter for An Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭niloc1951

AnnoyedOfMidleton says, If I cause, or suffer an accident, from driving at the speed limit, due to another driving behaving with the reckless abandon that Irish drivers do when they aren't subject to the immediate scrutiny of a camera (because there is nothing else, apparently available in the toolkit other than lazy policing), will the Gards and the management of these roadworks pretend they didn't know the problem existed?

Over twenty years ago I saw a temporary average speed camera set up installed at roadworks in the UK, everybody was strictly obeying the posted speed limit. So yes, there is the perfect solution for managing speed at roadworks. Why law enforcement doesn't provide that facility here I just don't know. If it's a cost thing then why not build it into the project budget?

Northbound traffic thru the tunnel is still the biggest bottleneck at the interchange at peak times & I think anything that can remove traffic queuing at those lights will help.

3 movements need to be facilitated so that all traffic lights are moved from the tunnel exit.

1. Tunnel to city slip road (Not too far off).
    2. The loop for City to tunnel traffic will need to open.
    3. M8 South to City. This is the tricky one. This will require the Dumbbell to City slip to open. For that to open, the N25 west to Roundabout slip needs to move to its new alignment.

I think N25 west to M8 north traffic will be forced to continue to the Dunkettle Interchange and forced to double back for potentially 6 months or more.

We are discussing #1only in the thread above. Per the newsletter that should open by the end of the month and in my opinion should help with the huge backlogs we see everyday back beyond Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've found traffic in the last few weeks is getting worse coming out of Little Island. Last Thursday took the piss with it really cos of the incidents (took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get out of Eastgate) but I've found a fair few days have been bad. Hopefully something gets sorted there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Doesn't help that traffic coming from Eastgate does not have even close to priority at the roundabout. Those coming down the hill generally don't have much of an issue. Maybe traffic lights to regulate the flow might actually help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I likely strolled psst your car that day, I think the 1 lane to tunnel for last week didn't help and then the truck made it even worse. I'd hope when it's all open that there should only be minor traffic in Eastgatez coukd be ambitious though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I don't know why they don't just mount two cameras - average speed across the roadworks. It wouldn't be that complicated and it would be much safer for all involved. This use of a speed van now and then is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Can average speed cameras work there given the regular layout changes mean mean times also changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably. I left work at 4.45 and made it out of Eastgate at 6.05. It was not fun.

even non averaging ones would be fine. They need to be there there all the time tho.

City Centre to Tunnel loop is much more advanced than I first thought. Could easily have it open within a month. Road level just needs to be raised after the final bridge where the loop piece begins.

I wouldn’t be surprised if everything except for the N25 west to M8 north movement are open within the next 6 months.

I think they will be, or will mostly be. Perhaps with the roundabout still in situ, I'm not sure.

In theory they have to have it all done within the next 12 months anyway, cos that is when they are contracted to finish!

The roundabout itself will be no longer a roundabout once the loop opens. That will facilitate closure of the section of roundabout between the N25 exit and the M8 entrance.

I think that will shock some drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Shoutout to Dronehawk who has served us so well. That video is a masterpiece, both artistically and in terms of communicating how successfully the target of free flow is being achieved. And bonus points for catching a fully lit night train as it rode the junction.

It really shows just how much has been achieved at the interchange, relatively painlessly. Have to say I remain in awe of the project planners who scheduled so many interconnected pieces to accomplish this with 80k traffic movements per day throughout.

To be fair, we'd be ooing and awing at some project like this in NL or Japan or somewhere, a very busy junction with a train line through it, a tunnel and pretty much perched in a swampy water way getting replaced without interfering with flowing traffic... The videos are useful to actually get your head around just how complex it is.

Just shows what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Agree. Capturing the train in the shot was great.

Should have been done as part of the initial design of the JLT and the N40. We're just not in the game when it comes to future-proofing infrastructure projects.

In contrast, in the 1860s the Victorians built the bridges on the Cork - Youghal railway line to accommodate any future need to twin-track the route, 160 years later the twin-tracking (from Cobh Jct./Glaunthaune to Midleton) is happening and no bridge reconstruction is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you remember Cork traffic in the 90's, the tunnel couldn't wait any longer, they couldn't risk more delays with more infrastructure needed at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

What also "could have been" was an active transport tunnel bore: imagine how useful that would be now! But as it was, it was the largest infrastructure project in the state, and there was a lot of difficulty getting it over the line. And some of what "could have been" down through the years was a lot worse too: the struggle for perfection will continue forever.

But I'm still reserving the right to be annoyed at the arsing around in the active transport elements of the current design. Totally inexcusable shortcomings, given the low cost of resolution and clear knowledge of the issues.

Hindsight might be a wonderful thing but foresight is even better.

If there was a bit more foresight we wouldn't have so much of what was done 'yesterday' needing to be ripped up and redone 'tomorrow'.

As the saying goes, 'buy cheap buy twice'. In the case of so many infrastructure projects, it's 'build cheap build twice'.

There is also the case that the design was done 10 years ago and is only now being built. We're in the mood for active travel now, but to add active travel to a current project would set it back to square 1 probably. But yes, I agree that it is pathetic in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's not many infrastructure projects that survive forever, they all have to change with demographics.

• Advertisement

I've said it before but a few simple slip lanes incorporated into the junction first day would have saved millions of hours of commute time combined for people. E.g. M8S to N25E, tunnel north to the city,city to M8N etc.

Instead they had every single vehicle hitting that junction for the last 20+ years.

Advertisement