Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There is a big difference between rewriting a book after getting help from your editor before publication and re-writing a book long after the publication and after the author is dead.Almost all books are rewritten as they go through the editing process before publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We're one step away from burning them now. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Maybe I missed it in the article but it didn't actually say what he did to get charged with sexual assault on the American tourist. I thought the mining a sex act related to former colleague and she filed a sexual harassment complaint. Or did I completely misread the whole article?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There’s an even bigger difference between what you’re describing, and what actually happened in reality - Dahl’s publisher completely rewrote Matilda, and there was a falling out between them, and Dahl took his editor’s version to a new publisher, where it became one of his most successful works. If the original had been published, it would have been as successful as his previous efforts, and then we wouldn’t be discussing Dahl specifically today because he’d be as likely to have been heard of as the many millions of authors of children’s books who we’ve never heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭DaithiMa

You do realise that Matilda was published in 1988? Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was published in 1964, James and the Giant Peach in 1962.

The BFG is his his best ever seller and that was published in 1982, six years before Matilda. Some reach to say nobody would have heard of him only for his editor rewriting one of his last ever books. In fact, I'd say it's a nonsensical claim.

I do realise that, yes. I also realise that interest in his books was driven by the the popularity of the film and musical adaptations he hated. I also realise that you’re ignoring the significant gap between the time when his other works were published and he wasn’t able to support his family, and Matilda -

• Over the last few years, sales of Matilda have surpassed the combined sales of the rest of Dahl’s works

https://wordsrated.com/roald-dahl-statistics/

Had Netflix not bought the rights to his works, in 40 years time only the ultra-woke would be familiar with his works, and Dahl if he were alive would still be butthurt about never having gotten the recognition he felt he deserved as an author of books for adults.

Dahl was successful for many many years before Matilda was released.

I doubt Dahl hated the film adaptation of Matilda as he died in 1990 and the film was released in 1996.

I don't know how Dahl supported his family based on Matilda it was published in 1988 when his youngest child was 23, and Dahl died in 1990 so it played no role in supporting his family either.

Your exact words: "We wouldn’t be discussing Dahl specifically today because he’d be as likely to have been heard of as the many millions of authors of children’s books who we’ve never heard of"

Now, you are saying that in 40 years nobody would have heard of him bar the 'ultra woke'. Which is it?

Also on that link you posted it does indeed claim that Matilda might be the best seller of 'the last few years' (a very vague claim with zero numbers/citations to back it up).

On the same page it states that he has sold over a quarter of a billion books, James and the Giant Peach' sold 12 million, Charlie and the Choc factory 13 million, the BFG 37 million copies. Matilda has sold 17 million. With those numbers I'm sure a few will still know who is is in 40 years time.

And can you show me any figures for book sales pre and post movie releases? Not sure I believe that claim that 'interest in the books was driven by movies and musicals' either.

• Advertisement

Obviously when you’re choosing to misrepresent what I said, it sounds like baloney.

If Netflix hadn’t bought the rights to his works and are intending to bring them to a whole new audience, we wouldn’t have heard of him 40 years from now. There’s no contradiction there? He was obviously never happy about adaptations of his works, and he’s probably doing 9,000RPM in his grave over the deal with Netflix which he never would have approved of, but same as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - he hated it, but he knew it generated interest in his books. He hated it because it was a complete departure from his original vision, which had to be toned down in order for it to be able to be published.

It doesn’t just claim to be his best seller of the last few years, it’s sold more than all his previous works combined. He wouldn’t have approved of the adaptations either, but it’s because of the adaptations that new audiences were introduced to his books which weren’t as dark as he had originally envisioned, which would never have seen the light of day because they wouldn’t have been published. No, I can’t show you pre- and post- adaptation sales, but that’s generally how these things work - a book which was previously published gets adapted into a musical or a film and is brought to a wider audience, as Netflix are intending to do with Dahl’s work. They pretty much bought the rights for peanuts compared to the revenue they will generate from bringing Dahl’s work to a wider audience, more than could ever have been achieved by book sales alone.

How is it possible for Matilda to have sold more than all his previous works combined when it isn't even his best selling book?

It explicitly states on the link you provided that Matilda has sold 17 million copies and that he has sold 250 million books in total. Something isn't adding up.

Anyway I'll leave it there, don't want to derail the thread any further and get it closed again.

Off topic, but I'm really looking forward to the Netflix adaptions of his short stories, hopefully they do them justice

Forgive me, I thought it was obvious. It states that in the last few years, Matilda has sold more than his previous works combined - in the last few years Matilda has sold better than his other books, because Matilda is more popular than his other books with more people introduced to it because of the musical and film adaptations, which got them into the book Matilda, and when they read Matilda, they were interested to read his other books. Sort of like the way Amazon recommends books based on your previous orders.

Another good example is The Witcher - originally a series of books which many people won’t have heard of before the video game adaptation, and the Netflix series which brought them to an even wider audience, generating interest in the video games and books.

Aye, probably for the best 👍

More hilarity. 😂 According to the Prevent scheme in the UK people are at risk of being radicalized by Michael Portillos Railway Journey's which is quite probably the most harmless inoffensive television programme of all time.These people really are complete lunatics.

They have a point about Lord of The Rings though.I read all 3 of them this year and immediately after reading the last one I went out and bought Mein Kampf as my next book to read.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

I don't know about Great British Railways, but I definitely wouldn't watch Coast these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Looking at the Russia threads, and the frequent use of “orcs” and “mordor” therein, there could be a point to the lord of the rings commentary.

removed because double post

• Advertisement

Besides that orcs have been around in mythology for a long time before TLOTR the term is mainly used to dehumanise the Russian forces.

No side should be dehumanised tbf. I specifically mentioned the combination of “orc” and “mordor”. But I wouldn’t want to derail the thread, just thought that this sounded quite familiar to things I had noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This guy really takes thee ould WOKEness seriously

Murray is deliberately misrepresenting what RICU observed, in that these are “required reading” lists posted by people who have already been identified as right-wing extremists. It’s material that these extremists have decided other people need to read, or view, or whatever. Some of the entries on these lists ARE bizarre, but the right-wing extremists who share them obviously see some value in them.

I wouldn’t wipe my arse with Murray’s ‘Strange Death of Europe’ for example, but I can see how someone would be radicalised by it. I’ve never had any exposure to Lord Of the Rings apart from a copy given to me by a friend 20 years ago which I’ve never read, but it’s about as plausible as being radicalised by anything else - perception informs reality.

Meanwhile, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare were placed on a list of "key texts" for white supremacists.

A report by the programme's Research Information and Communications Unit (RICU) said that extremists posted "reading lists" on online chat boards.

The document shared a list of these "important texts" under pictures of Nigel Farage and 1930s British Union of Fascists leader Oswald Mosley.

Works from BBC's 1990s political thriller House of Cards to classic film The Dambusters to John le Carré's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy made the rankings.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/10245732/great-british-railway-journeys-prevent-far-right/amp/

The whole reason it came about is because of the report Murray refers to by William Shawcross is pretty scathing of Prevent’s failure to focus on Islamic radicalism, something which RICU was set up to do, and Murray is getting his knickers in a twist and calling for ‘sackings by the score’ because they’ve expanded their remit to include other forms of extremist radicalism. Only reason Murray is kissing Shawcross’s arse is because Shawcross agrees with his opinions about the threat of Islamic radicalism in Western Europe. Murray’s act is basically a bad parody of woke ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare were placed on a list of "key texts" for white supremacists.

Yeah, we should do away with these old white man authors, we should focus on present strong female role model authors like, for example, JK Rowling...

I’d safely say none of these right-wing extremists have actually ever read any Shakespeare, it’s on the list simply so they appear more cultured than they actually are. There’s a better chance they actually do have a copy of Harry Potter tucked inside their copy of Othello that they’re pretending to read! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

But I can see why the woke book rewriting crowd is uncomfortable with this: it features a black main character which takes advantage of a very young girl then he kills her. Race swapping him is a big no-no, so the next best thing is to make it disappear altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Cambridge University students have voted in favour of vegan only menu's in it's campuses catering outlets.

I bought vegan sausages in Dunnes once (don't know what came over me) and they were just vile, and I'm the type of person who would eat anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Vegan good is very hit-and-miss to be fair. Had some excellent plant-based burgers in Sweden that you honestly wouldn't know weren't meat.

That said, I've had the 'bacon' too.... ugh...

Anyway, I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di55DEnNkUs

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement