Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This returns on Tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Loved the first house. Anyone know where in South Co Dublin it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 villamaria

It’s in Stillorgan, loved it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

All nice houses. Why can't people stick to one theme and carry it through the house ? That pantry in the first house would give me migraine - as Amanda said it would have been better in plain white. And who said that the TV set should be two meters up the wall in a noisy kitchen/ living room. ? Form follows function folks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

All last nights houses were good. Im glad to see that home of the year is back showing unusual houses. Last years standard was very poor. Lets hope the high standard of last night is kept up through the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed - I didn't like the pantry. the background was too noisy - you couldn't actually see the products on the shelves. But it was a good size.

I thought the right house got through.

I felt the thatch cottage was a bit too try hard, it didn't do it for me.

Don't understand this obsession with red galvanize roofs. Yes, the countryside is dotted with rusty red haysheds but that was because the choice was either red or green oxide paint. That ' candy red ' modern house is just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Like most reality shows, all you need to get on HOTY these days is an Instagram account showing your renovation "journey" and you'll prob get a call from the producers, I doubt anyone actually applies anymore.

Mind you, at least the Insta house from episode one was actually really nicely put together. The faux-diddly-eye cottage and the barn should never have gotten near the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They keep doing these random closeups of Sara Cosgrove smiling. I dunno why but I find it very jarring

Also, the house that won this week and last week are just like variations of each other, nice houses but I much preferred the 2 cottages

• Advertisement

I'm getting sick of seeing shed/warehouse style houses. Interior was nice though.

I liked the first cottage it was very personal and unique.

Winning house lovely, pretty much built a second house onto it.....wonder when that planning permission was approved. I liked the kids room everything else was interior design Pinterest , no personality.

Yes the cottage had some personality - they put everything into it. The colour pink is making a comeback - personally I absolutely hate it. When did you ever see Pink in nature ? A lot of these houses are young couples starting out. I note they all put the TV in the living room - great until the kids are growing up. Every house should have an adult TV room as well.

I really liked the first house - the cottage in Galway - it felt like there was personality in it, that a lot of the homeowners' own thought and work went into it. The other two houses were like they were off pintrest. I did like the open plan living area in the Northern house, to me I think it would really work with their family and the views were amazing. To me it didn't need to be "zoned" as one of the judges said - it worked well as a large family room. However the last house I didn't like the open plan kitchen area - I felt it was actually too big, there was the big open unoccupied space in the middle of the room. Also didn't like the cupboards above the sink at head height.

I liked the first cottage - the owners worked hard and had some unique ideas. Although I liked it, I couldnt live in it. I think its fine for them as a couple but wouldnt work for a family.

The second house I hated. I felt it had a cold look to it - nothing cosy. The decor wasnt to my taste and didnt do the house justice.

I loved the 3rd house - its a great family home. Didnt like the snug or hall area but they done a great job making a small home into a large family home. I would say it cost a fortune to renovate.

The last two were an attempts at minimalism - but It's very hard to pull off and probably impossible with children. I suspect men like it more than women. Just sayin'. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Hugh on about the Kilkeeny house with the view of the forestry and valley.

I dunno what Hugh knows about forestry but coniferous spruce and pine will not "turn yellow in the fall". Daft bollox

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Even calling it “Fall”.. fcuk right off Hugh, ya spoofer. I quite liked that first house.

This second one in Belfast is immaculate but can’t warm to it for some reason.

I was speaking to an architect at a wedding who had a house on the show pre Covid.

He said that a load of furniture was hired for the day and a lot of the home owners furniture was flecked into a spare room. He said it was good exposure for his company but the judging was largely meaningless, what you see on TV doesn't reflect the actual house.

Bit like Room To Improve where they had to hire furniture so the house looked furnished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I loved Hugh in the first house mind.

Amanda "They've put obstructions in the way of the view"

Hugh "Thats a dining table and chairs, you can sit there and look at the view".

I doubt they do that with every house. If what he says is true than the programme is all a set up - houses are staged to win.

I agree - Also I think needs to go back to school to learn how to right the number 8!

I think she was talking about the shyte they had hanging from the lampshade......and he knew what she was talking about!

There's no way they'd be able to find some of the higgledy piggledy shyte some people have in their houses.

I suppose if the house was newly renovated and renovation went over it might happen to the odd house.

I do suspect that the attic is filled to capacity on day of filming though as alot of houses have zero personal effects in them.

• Advertisement

If that's true it's pretty disappointing. The whole theme of the show is the ' home ' that people have invested in. However a lot of the homes are immaculate so I doubt rental furniture is widely used. In general It might explain all those beige and pink sofas though. !

😂 Ah I think I should go back to school too

I can understand people clearing away some stuff and having it immaculate - that's understandable. But furniture being bought in ( presumably by production team)to stage a house doesn't sit well with me.

This could have been specific to just this house, would assume it only happens if the house was just built /renovated and wasn't fully furnished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

It’s nice to view the houses and appreciate the work and care that’s gone into them, but my god the pretentious sh&€e that Amanda and Sara come out with would “rot ya”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I find Amanda Bone very attractive.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

The queen of minimalism. I find her comments pertinent and share her design ideas. However she looks frozen in some of those dresses and should definitely leave the purple ' surgical scrubs 'at home.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Didn't like the house that won. Was cold and a mishmash of styles. Kitchen didn't look anything anything either.

This show just seems incredibly fake at this stage. Everything seems scripted and rehearsed. Amanda sounds like she's memorising lines and the way she keeps moving her hands really bugs me. Sara goes around with this huge, soulless smile on her face. It's very hard to know what is genuinely impressing her or not.

Hugh feels a bit more genuine but still spouts some shite at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

There was a sketch about the show on fm104 this morning.

I was in knots in the car listening to it🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

When they went into the apartment Amanda mentioned how cluttered the downstairs was compared to the minimalistic upstairs before she had gone upstairs, I totally agree that it's very staged and rehearsed at this stage.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Only after getting to watch this week’s episode now.

First home owners talked about minimal design with pops of colour… the place was full of fussy (no doubt wildly expensive) ornaments 🤷🏼‍♀️ the white pvc framing the corner window in the bedroom was horrible!

Second home I didn’t care for the decor but as with the first one the architecture was impressive. Hated the furniture in both homes

Third home interiors also too fussy for me but I loved what they had done to restore the property and I’m glad it came out on top.

Basically I thought all three homes were way over-scored this week, imo none of them were Final-worthy.

The scene with Sara roaring laughing at Hugh mistaking the chamber pot for a cup was quite possibly the first ever genuine reaction we’ve seen from her. So nice for a change from the rictus grin. I wonder is she just not naturally comfortable on camera.

I don't like how they keep going on about houses being cluttered and fussy. I don't know about other people but my home is not minimalist - it has furniture and rugs, appliances and electronics, photos of loved ones and ornaments which were gifts or hold memories. You can see toiletries in the bathroom and bits and pieces on my bedside locker.

I think Amanda would faint if she walked in my front door!!

This is HOME of the year - not SHOWHOUSE of the year.

Hugh criticising the couch for being against the wall was absolutely farcical and then criticising for the lack of lamps even though there were lights build into the wall. Nonsensical stuff

They may as well replace the families with the architects and just judge it based off that and ignore the family/home part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I thought the first house was one of the best houses on it in this series to date, I was as really annoyed it didn't get through.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many times they've walloped their heads off the window alcoves ceiling in the third house.

I liked the first house but wasn't too sure about the back design it was very glass corridory.

Tbh all the houses are morphing into one with neutral greys and pinks lots of glass, open plan rooms with a study nook....all very interior design magazine

No wow houses at last night.

The first house I didnt like at all - I thought it was a bit lacking in personality . The hall and glass extension was cold and harsh looking - it lacked warmth and was just functional. I liked the house from the outside but the interiors didnt do it justice.

The 2nd house was ok but too much clutter for me. The owner really overdid it to the point it didnt work.

The 3rd house shouldnt have bothered been on the show. The sitting area of the open plan area looked unfinished and cold. I agree with the judges that the colour of the bedroom was overwhelming. Also they had the tidiest playroom ever - it was a playroom with very few toys! Kids would get fed up of the expensive slide daybed structure very quickly.

I though the first house was the best of the lot last night. I liked how they incorporated the sheds to form a house, it was well done IMO.

The second house I liked the outside and that's it. The inside looked like she had spent many nights scrolling Pintrest and put it ALL in the house. IT was too try hard IMO.

Last house wasn't bad - I actually liked the blue colour in the bedroom, have a similar colour in the tv room in our house. While the playroom was impressive, the slide / playhouse seems to take a lot of space, what about the older boys, where would they play?

I thought the converted farm building should have won. They put a lot into it with brave use of floor to ceiling glass and a resin floor. My pet bogey popped up - the TV sitting over a gas fire and everybody 20 feet away. They should be separated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

21 points for the house in Wicklow!! Are they mad? All my favourite houses are not getting through this season. Terrible decisions.

I absolutely loved the first house. I think it's the first open plan house I really liked! The only thing I'd change are the external railings I think they'd benefit being stripped back to bare iron for the detail to be seen and painted black....not necessarily the usual gloss paint more a matt paint I think would work.

Second house....wasn't feeling it.....didn't like the office in direct eyeline of the couch.... you'd never switch off....plus my desk needs to be hidden.

The third house really should have worked but it felt disconnected or something. I loved the outdoor space but I'd sh1t myself facing a wooded area. Didn't like the wallpaper it was very busy!

Glad first house went through....nice contrast from the usual pale greys that the rest of the houses are sporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really liked the 1st house, I wouldn't be able to live in it myself it would be too dark for me ,but really suited the owners and very clever design for an old house.

I don't know why the 2nd house was on it at all. I agreed with Hugh very underwhelming the kitchen and extension reminded me of a student house too plain, with just knick knacks everywhere trying to give some colour. Also that office in sunroom extension was absolutely ridiculous. You wouldn't be able to work in there on a computer with sun streaming in.

I adored the look of last house on outside and the kitchen was beautiful, however the rest of house was very disappointing, too old fashioned looking with loads of wallpaper and flowery fabrics everywhere. Didn't deserve 21 though, way too low of a score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Is it just me, or are they handing out 6s much more readily than they used to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

The banter between the judges is beginning to irritate me a bit, it feels staged and fake. Have to say I love the show though. There’s something new and surprising every week even though I don’t always agree with the judges decisions.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where the first (white) house was in South County Dublin last Tuesday (28th March)? Tia

Advertisement