Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't mind the fluff stuff as it was still (mostly) gaming related and I did buy some stuff. It's all the other stuff the Pro Club offers. And it's not even that good, it's all trials or the cheapest option free. The levels are better, because it actually rewards custom. But most their business comes from clueless parents and crappy kids who constantly break stuff (my nephew went through about 7 pairs of headphones). Plus it looks like Pro will be a yearly sub.

On topic, the Skywalker Saga is really well made! Makes me want them to do similar to the Harry Potter ones. Oh, oh, Lego Witcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, they spin unnecessarily long.

But once they are on instant resume I don't think the disk has to be in or spin. But maybe I'm imagining this.

I did get a few games recently 2nd hand in CEX for cheap via post. And they are in great condition. And I've a few physical games I'll get rid of and trade for something else.

Also I can pass/lend physical games onto friends/family. Digital games are tied to my account / me.

It should be possible to lend/pass on digital content in the same way as physical content.

It'd be easy for MS to do since they own all the accounts and license data, but they'd lose out £££ if they supported this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭recyclops

They kind of do support it and lose out on millions yearly with game share. I'd say between my mate and me in the last few years they've easily lost a grand.

Like PM said with the change in cex models stuff will go up, if your willing to wait a few weeks or both use the rewards dash with xbox those who game share can clean up on games and subs. Even more so if they shop in diff countries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I was going to reply to the person asking if Dev mode was worth doing, but then deleted the quote and I'm not going to go looking for.it again. Anyway, here's the answer, dev mode is worth it if you're planning on doing some programming to create an app/game for the xbox, and want to test it out. There's essentially no other reason to go into dev mode*, so I don't recommend it, as it disables some major functions, like you can't play retail games or apps.

*Emulation is a slightly different story, as Retroarch works on Xbox. Normally you can just download it from a website and have it work on retail mode, but MS have recently changed something about this process that has knocked it offline. They're working on fixing it, but you can still use Retroarch in Dev mode. Still a massive pain though, and not worth it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Merry Christmas every one, hope that you've all had a great few day, and that you got everything you want/need!

Christmas gets a hell of.a lot busier when the kids are old enough to appreciate Santa, I'm shattered 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I think that was me!

Thanks for the info, still tempting as I don't game too often and it's a cheap VCR Xbox One as well, not the S models or X. If RetroArch is close to coming back on Retail Mode, might wait for that.

Super, for a second, I wasn't even sure this was the right thread 😂

Just FYI, emulation is very much reliant on the CPU, and the CPU in the Xbox One era was weak even on release day. Different story on the new consoles, but I'm not sure what the performance would be like on the One. Worth a shot if you're only interested in Snes/Megadrive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I've had fibre to the home installed recently. The fibre box is right beside my Xbox now.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages of hard-wiring the Xbox to the fibre box?

Main worry would be lightening strikes. Usually the first thing to get fried are modems/routers and if the Xbox is connected there's a risk too I'd guess?

Plug everything into a surge protector extension lead.

Being right beside it, there shouldn't be, but ethernet is always the better option. Saying that, I haven't noticed any issues on my SX on WiFi. PS5 doesn't like WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Sony consoles never like wifi, I find the wifi speed on my PS5 to hover around 20mb on my connection whereas I get over 70mb wired. My line speed is 90mb, unfortunately faster isn't available here. Siro was supposed to be installed in 2020 but the work has been stalled since then.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Yeah, WiFi is grand for most things, but in Rocket League I get constantly latency and connection issues while playing, but not a peep and better ping/latency when using the Homeplugs. The Homeplugs are only 150Mb and the WiFi is 1Gb, but still far more stable on ethernet, as it should be. Router is 2 rooms away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭wassie

Nothing will protect you from a the energy delviered in a direct lightning strike. However the chances of lightning striking your home very unlikely.

More likely is much rare than a power surge caused by downed power lines (external surge) or large appliances in your home powering on and off (internal surge). If this is a concern, you are better getting installing whole home surge protection rather than a point protection.

...delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Bought a new controller because the A button was sticking. X button on the new controller sticking straight out of the box. They really are kack compared to the indestructible 360 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

If you’re with Virgin Media, we were having packet loss issues causing problems with video calls. I turned off the WiFi on the VM router and got a third party wifi router to plug in and my issues have disappeared pretty much. Might help with your issue if your internet is with VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Looks like there are even bigger personal Ubisoft discounts if you check your Xbox account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭wassie

Xbox prices are going up in Japan. Series X going up by ~€35 and Series S ~€40.

May be a sign of whats to come here, given prices were flagged by the Xbox CEO last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭limktime

Hi all, I bought an Xbox Series X in GameStop at the end of December and the left stick on the controller that came with it has started to drift up.

I haven't played it much. Does anyone know what GameStop are like to deal with for things like this? Are they likely to replace it since I've only had it just over a month?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Get onto Microsoft directly. They will replace it without hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

New to the world of Xbox. Never played any Xbox games (even Halo) but decided to take the dive & got a series S. Will get GPU. My question is, is there games I should buy outright or is there no point as I can play them anyways on GPU without having to do so? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Red dead is amazing. All other games I've played have been gpu, with exception of assassins creed valhalla (gave up, it was boring) and batman arkham asylum (which I'm playing now and is decent)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Played RDR on PS4, can't say I enjoyed it tbh! Not really a Batman fan either . Not fussy am I!😀 Any exclusives? Old titles that must be checked ou?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What type of games do you like. There are a lot on GamePass. Forza Horizon games are good if you like driving games with a open world approach. Ori and the blind forest and ori and the will of the wisps are good also on GP. Psychonauts 1 and 2 are brilliant also on GP. Halo all games are on GP too. Then there is Gears of War they are all good too and I think they are all on GP also. High on Life is brilliant too also on GP. Super Lucky's Tale is good also on GP. Rage 1 and 2 are good also on GP. Doom 2013 I think it's on there it use to be anyway and it's good. Omno is good. The Pedestrian. Contrast is another game I found good. Dishonored is good all three of them I think they are on GP they used to be anyway. The Outer Worlds is another good game also on GP. Supra land is another great game on GP well it used to be.

Yooka-Laylee is good but not on GP and then a spin off Yooka-Laylee and the impossible Layer is good but not on GP. Prey is brilliant and not on GP either. Control is good but not on GP any more. Watch Dogs all three are good. Borderlands all 4 are good too if you never played them. All Tomb Raider reboots are good too. South Park's two games are good also. Murdered Soul Suspect is decent. Mirrors Edge's two games are good. And Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 are good.

Long post I know but those games are good.

Ori games are exclusive and amazing. Persevere through the Ginso tree in the first one!

Hardspace Shipbreaker if you're looking for floaty space ship salvage. Turn off the round timer for a more relaxed experience.

Powerwash Simulator is inexplicably enjoyable. Recently got a free Tomb Raider crossover thing. Final Fantasy one on the way.

Age of Empires 2 is on there recently, and a remastered Cities Skylines is coming to scratch that sim city itch.

Seven. I used to have eight at one time, but I sold the Pulse Red one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Play the games on Game Pass for now, sign up for MS Rewards, collect points for clicking on things, convert points to Xbox money, buy the games missing from Game Pass next time they are on sale using the free xbox money.

Advertisement