Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crown- Netflix (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I watched it all for the first time this year, it was an an interesting forrest gump through British events. I think the series peaked in the earlier decades, though Mrs T was fun to watch. Will it run out of steam going forward? just everyone getting older

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is it only going to cover up to 2000 or so ? thought I read that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Radio5 wrote: »
    Is it only going to cover up to 2000 or so ? thought I read that somewhere.
    Peter Morgan, the show creator already released "The Queen" with Helen Mirren so he's unlikely to recover the same ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,620 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When you're sent to steal The Crown Jewels but miss entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

It was originally going to be six season - with two for each Queen and a season for each decade (I think) - but for some along the way Morgan decided on five seasons.

Then last summer he changed it back to six and I believe it is to the events 1990s more time to be explored with season 5 going 1990 to 1995 and season going covering the rest of the decade.

Season 1 to 4 covered the period of history that interests me - post-War, Cold War and the Thatcher years - however it is has been a very well made series and Imelda Staunton is always great so it will be an interesting watch. For some reason the 1990s is a blurry memory for me and I am bad at remembering the things that happened so it will be educational for me.

I hope Morgan does another history based series in the near future. Maybe something about the Cold War.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am re watching season 1 . I much preferred Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret than HB Carter

As much as I admire David Jacobi I wish they had stuck with Alex Jennings for the Duke of Windsor. Couldn't get a better doppelganger if they tried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Alex Jennings was brilliant in that role! Should have gotten an Emmy. Managed to be extremely smarmy and also elicit a tiny bit of sympathy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, if we hadn't enough drama for one day, trailer's up. Cover tune in tow. November 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,620 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I kinda thought a later start date given Queen Lizzy's recent demise

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched the first few episodes with Mrs Sleepy last night. Some getting used to the new faces but you get used to them a couple of episodes in... liking how they're not being overly pandering to Diana's memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Had had a look this morning Staunton is a very ugly queen. Dominic West delicious as Charles everyone else is un remarkable. Debecki as Diana is just lacking something, her warmth maybe, I liked Princess Margaret & Peter Townsend, but cast so far not impressed . The monarchy needn't worry about it as its lacking something, depth maybe trying to get too much in , in a short space of time. No worries King Charles this too will pass, next hurdle the book by your room temperature IQ son !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Good to see Timothy Dalton on screen. Last thing I remember seeing him in was Hot Fuzz.

Took me a minute when watching the horse carriage scene to realise that the lady character is actually Natascha McElhone who also starred opposite Johnathan Pryce in Ronan. Except this time there's no quirky northern "accents".

Seeing Dalton in the naval uniform really made me wish I had Barbara Brocolli's ear to pitch the idea of bringing him back for the next Bond movie... Logan showed how well the aged hero can work and there's so much opportunity with tie his Bond to the modern day (helping Russian officers to "defect" and his enlisting the help of the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan in The Living Daylights could both provide good threads to pull on in the modern era). People say the Bond movies area a relic of the cold war so why not let Bond be that - the septuagenarian relic from the past dragged out of retirement by some episode from his past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭cozar

casting is all wrong this season and its ruining it for me . The only good ones are Princes William and Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Good idea, I always thought he was a great Bond and thought Alan Partridge was bang out of order for bringing up his Welshness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Absolutely agree. A reflection on their cast in previous seasons, but this one, Prince Philip in particular, is well below the previous standard.

Diana though, Jesus it will be a blessed relief for us all when they write her out of the story.

• Advertisement

They seem to be playing looser with history than previous seasons....and going very easy on Diana imo. Yes, they're showing her self-pity and mental health issues but while they've been showing Charles infidelity with Camilla and tampongate, Diana's affairs with Hewitt and James Gilbey (Squidgygate) seem to have been completely skipped over. Would have thought it to be a rather essential part of the story since Charles has always claimed those affairs were what ended the platonic nature of his relationship with Camilla during the early years of his marriage to Diana.

Odd that they changed the "annus horribilis" speech so much too... it's not as if creative license was needed for it when transcripts would be readily available... Margaret's rekindling with Peter Townsend made for good TV but again, her appearance on Dessert Island Discs happened in the early 80's rather than 91...

We're only up to episode 5 so far but I think it's clear they're going to try and insinuate there was something more to Philip's friendship with Penny Knatchbul than the avuncular relationship they showed in the second episode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭bemak

Totally agree. Prince Philip looks older here that when he visited Ireland 25 years later. No similarity whatsoever. Should have maybe stuck with Olivia Coleman and Tobias Menzies albeit aged more. They had a better presence on screen. Diana is a bit too tall but not bad. West as Charles is good enough too. The queen mother is very poor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Finished it. Pretty underwhelming series. Terrible casting, and maybe because it's more recent times, we can clearly see too many liberties taken with storylines and the truth(yes I realise it's not a factual documentary).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think the fact that it's more recent times is a factor. Viewers are more familiar with characters than they were with say, Tommy Lascelles or the Duke of Windsor. Also, the Queen movie featured other actors in many of these roles and they can be compared to Crown portrayals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

Underwhelming and although I though Elizabeth Debicki did Diana quite well I never warmed to the rest of the cast.

Additionally, and I admit my memory may be hazy, but was the official Hong Kong ceremony not held indoors and not out in the rain? If I'm correct it seems a pointless thing to change.

Plus the Queen telling off Yeltsin about the destruction of Ipatiev house is definitely in the department of never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Way too much dramatic licence was taken in this season, and yeah, maybe its just more noticeable as the real events are relatively recent in the memory.

I also thought the casting was way off. Dominic West is far too handsome to play Charles... he seemed to overdo the "pulling faces" thing. The actress playing Diana portrayed her as a sulking teenager with the neck permanently sideways. I'm sure the real Diana smiled at least occasionally...

I just can't believe for a second that the Prime Minister would be so caught up in trivial domestic matters with the Royal family. I'm sure the real John Major had much more important things to do with his time than be concerned about the Royal Yacht or Charles and Diana's personal affairs! And I see from a quick google that indeed, John Major has come out and said the whole thing is a load of tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

I do remember at the time that the issue of the Royal Yacht was a political hot potato and that the Queen had let it be known that she'd like a refit or replacement, so I can believe that the PM was involved, as he was with the Wales marriage.

John Major had an issue with the storyline that Charles came to him to ask that the PM encourage the Queen to abdicate. That was obvious nonsense.

In a case that truth is stranger than fiction, if it hadn't already been revealed that Martin Bashir faked bank statements to persuade Diana to do an interview we would have thought that plot point was too far fetched!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I watched a series 1 episode last night, it was definitely more enjoyable when it was more of a period drama. Claire Foy and Matt Smith were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Got a smart TV and finally subscribed to Netflix. I'm incredulous at how stupid, snobby, selfish and frankly dysfunctional the Royal family are portrayed. They all win the Darwin award for cruelty and pomposity. The characters are well depicted with Helena Bonham Carter a particularly repulsive Princess Margaret and Olivia Coleman a bit over empathetic as the queen. They really stuck the knife into JFK and Jacqueline though !

Overall a good way to put down a wet January but it would turn you into a Republican if you are not one already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just starting episode 2 of this new season, 5.

A bit bored, I must say.

Advertisement