Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crown- Netflix (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

...... I would say when he was dispatched to Paris, he was reminiscing "Pity uncle Louis wasnt up for some sport this weekend, he would have loved a final chase!". Make no mistake, Philip might have been on the ground on that night but it was the Queen who "pushed the button". Philip might have been doing his duty but the Queen is the Queen.
    What on earth are you talking about?

well I think its not too far out of the way - I think princess Margaret's story seems to be one of the saddest. Princess Anne's lover it seems was sent away much like Princess Margaret's lover was. They interfered with Charles and Camilla and left both broken hearted and miserable for years with terrible circumstances

they didn't shine too nice a light on Phillip in Series 2 by any means. and id say he definitely "got stuff done" in the background

Princess Margaret was free to marry her man. She chose to retain her royal status instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What on earth are you talking about?

I am one of those people who believes the Queen had Diana knocked off. Just look at all the gaping holes in the story. An hour for the ambulance, no autopsy, the amount of drugs in the drivers system,....... Definitely an MI-6 job.

Princess Margaret was free to marry her man. She chose to retain her royal status instead.

That is what is important to Margaret.

I am one of those people who believes the Queen had Diana knocked off. Just look at all the gaping holes in the story. An hour for the ambulance, no autopsy, the amount of drugs in the drivers system,....... Definitely an MI-6 job.

I guess they forced her at gun point to not wear a seat belt, too.

Why would they want her dead? She didn't pose any threat to them. She vastly inflated her own importance.

• Advertisement

That is what is important to Margaret.

Well, yes. Money, servants, palaces, people showing you deference just because you're you. Who said love doesn't have a price?

I guess they forced her at gun point to not wear a seat belt, too.

Why would they want her dead? She didn't pose any threat to them. She vastly inflated her own importance.

She was an embarrassment and she didnt try to hide it. I would say through the generations people have been killed for less. If there was any truth to her being pregnant that would have been a real concern.

See the media job they did on Paul Burrell her butler?

She was an embarrassment and she didnt try to hide it. I would say through the generations people have been killed for less. If there was any truth to her being pregnant that would have been a real concern.

See the media job they did on Paul Burrell her butler?

What concern would her pregnancy be?

The Netflix show is less of a work of fiction than your version!

What concern would her pregnancy be?

The Netflix show is less of a work of fiction than your version!

Have a look at Keith Allens documentary on it. The whole thing is gaping holes in the story. I am not one for swallowing D-notices.

How do I say it? Dodi was both a muslim and a bit tawney. That is the mother of the future king of England. NOT going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have we wandered away from the TV series and back into reality again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Only a few episodes into season 4, I just want Charles to stand up straight, stop hunching over so much ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Only a few episodes into season 4, I just want Charles to stand up straight, stop hunching over so much ahhhh

This by 100..

You would think that, what with being a Coronel in Paras and years in the RN and he cant stand up straight and take his hands out of his pockets. Andrew, Edward and Anne all learned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

You would think that, what with being a Coronel in Paras and years in the RN and he cant stand up straight and take his hands out of his pockets. Andrew, Edward and Anne all learned it.

He's an actor.

Josh O'Connor is his name and he's portraying an impression of Prince Charles.

I agree he seems to be hunched up a lot but that's how he's chosen to act, I agree it's a bit offputting.

I've only seen Prince Charles on tv but he seems perfectly able to stand up straight as far as I can see.

cml387 wrote: »
    He's an actor.

Josh O'Connor is his name and he's portraying an impression of Prince Charles.

I agree he seems to be hunched up a lot but that's how he's chosen to act, I agree it's a bit offputting.

I've only seen Prince Charles on tv but he seems perfectly able to stand up straight as far as I can see.

I am not talking about the actor, I am talking about the real life Prince Charles. Every second picture has the hands in the pockets. They need to get that boy back to Brize Norton for some follow up training.

Having watched e7 of the new series, I was fascinated by the story of the unfortunate cousins of the queen and princess Margaret, Nerissa and Katherine Bowes-Lyon.

You can look up the real story here but it seems that this time the programme does not stray too far from fact.

One interesting sidelight on the issue, not mentioned in the linked article, is the legend of the "Monster Of Glamis".

Glamis Castle is the ancestral home of the Bowes-Lyon, and legend has it that there was an insane or horrifically deformed child secreted in a hidden room.

Once again a search will give you more information about the grim story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am on episode 6 series 4
    Wow , she has Diana to an absolute T

Its dreadful , he slumps around with a hunched back all the time .,I dont recall Charles not standing up straight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

I’m paraphrasing here, but the best line in the whole show is when the Queen and Philip are sitting down for breakfast, Philip is complaining about lack of entertainment or dancers at some event (or similar) and the Queen says: “don’t you have your own ballerinas for that!”, referencing the Russian ballerina who is supposed to have had an affair with :pac:

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its dreadful , he slumps around with a hunched back all the time .,I dont recall Charles not standing up straight ?

A quick google will show half his pictures with the shoulders slumped. You dont see it with any of his siblings. They all did military service of some sort (Charles RN and Paras. Andrew, RN. Ann Army, RAF, RN. Edward, RMC.). Its not rocket science. Fist closed thumb forward, back straight head up, short step forward, its not hard. His poor training NCO must having been going mad, try to train someone who didnt want to be there. The office of the Prince of Wales is like fine suit but when it arrived, Charles couldnt fill it.

• Advertisement

BrentMused wrote: »
    I’m paraphrasing here, but the best line in the whole show is when the Queen and Philip are sitting down for breakfast, Philip is complaining about lack of entertainment or dancers at some event (or similar) and the Queen says: “don’t you have your own ballerinas for that!”, referencing the Russian ballerina who is supposed to have had an affair with :pac:

Actually my favourite moment goes back to the Foy/Smith era.

The papers have arrived with the picture of Margaret wearing the strapless dress (head and shoulders shot) which Smith as Prince Philip is gazing admiringly at until he gets "the look" from the queen.

cml387 wrote: »
    Actually my favourite moment goes back to the Foy/Smith era.

The papers have arrived with the picture of Margaret wearing the strapless dress (head and shoulders shot) which Smith as Prince Philip is gazing admiringly at until he gets "the look" from the queen.

Damn missed that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I've only watched Season 4 (which I seem to have found entertaining enough to sometimes watch more than a single episode a day :D) I thought the Philip character seemed a bit 'benign', though, for lack of a better term. As said elsewhere, there were few gaffes /politically-incorrect moments; expected a more 'caustic' performance/ casting, maybe. (Having said that, I think the idea of dramas based on real people, especially the living, are a bit sort of morally dodgy - if I were famous enough to be a subject, I'd be livid..."WTF, I'd never say that!!! etc :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I thought they completely changed his character when they changed the cast between season 2 and 3. The younger Philip was portrayed as far more irascible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

sunbeam wrote: »
    I thought they completely changed his character when they changed the cast between season 2 and 3. The younger Philip was portrayed as far more irascible.

I think it's mostly to do with the fact that he's not a primary character in seasons 3 or 4, there's much more of a focus on the kids and queen/prime minister. He got one token episode in season 3 about the astronauts and that was it.

I also think the actor is playing him as a very genial man, maybe because he's only reacting to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,440 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The UK culture secretary Oliver Dowden speaking for the British government is now saying if Netflix doesn't put a disclaimer before the start of episodes stating that this is a dramatized series they would think about new regulation for foreign streamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Half way through season 4 now, i didn't expect Scully's Thatcher is the high point of the season for me aha.

Thinking back previous seasons,
    S1/2: I quite enjoyed season1+2 (well written I'd say, the balance between entertainment and fictional and history),
    S3: Season 3 is meh (felt rushed, characters have no depth, most things in the whole season are superficial),
    S4: season 4 i will wait until i finished.

I just can't help to keep thinking that everytime i see the Olivia Colman's Queen on screen - this is such a miscast, she literally looks more like Princess Margaret from Season1/2 (and that actress of princess margaret in s1/2 looks so alike the real young princess ). That Helena Bonham Carter is an utter miscast really, I actually like Helena but not as a royal princess ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I always thought HBC was a strange casting choice strange considering she already played Maggies mother in The King's Speech.

I thought Venessa Kirby got P Margaret to a T and portrayed her just right . The changover to HBC was bizzare in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Personally I think the problem was that Vanessa Kirby is in her 20’s and HBC is in her 50’s and the jump was jarring, too big
    Margaret was 4 years younger than the queen but Olivia Colman is 6ish years younger than HBC
    The jump from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman worked as expected for the time jump in the series but didn’t for HBC
    Vanessa Kirby and Claire Foy worked well as the expected age gap was there but it’s v obvious that HBC is older than Olivia Colman so doesn’t fit as well

Advertisement