Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crown- Netflix (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

I had no great issue with Helena.
    I don't get the love fro Gillian Anderson. As I said before the deep low voice was for public consumption only. It wasn't her normal voice and so in the domestic scenes it was jarring.

Overall I was slightly disappointed with S4. There wasn't a stand out episode like Aberfan. It was mostly a vehicle for Diana /Emma Corrin and in fairness she did a pretty good job. Some of the artistic licence though really strained credibility this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok,

I am confused. And maybe this has been discussed

Season 4: was Claire Foy in it? Was Matt Smith in it?

If so, why no mention of her in Wikipedia or IMDB?

Second: George VI died February 1952 when Princess Anne was about 18 months old.. why did Anne look 3/4 years old in season 4 episode 1?

Charles looked at least 5, if not 6, yet he was not yet 4 when his grandfather died..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, forget it

Spent 40 mins watching season 1 ep 1 thinking it was season 4..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What did people make of Dianas rendition of All I Ask for You to Charles...
    Touching... genuine... misjudged... self indulgent?
    All of the above?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bought the boxset for my elderly mother, i noticed its 15 cert with "strong sex scenes"

how steamy is it?? arse & tits??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

More steam from a kettle.

fryup wrote: »
    Bought the boxset for my elderly mother, i noticed its 15 cert with "strong sex scenes"

One does not show their arse or tits. Although one does ask Philip to do star jumps upon oneself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Let's say there are unbridled passions with a young stable boy, no wait that was fanny hill

no seriously, is it ... offensive for an elderly prude woman (my mam)

I would have thought it would be perfect TV for an elderly prude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I don't remember any nudity but the link below says differently

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/parentalguide/nudity

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

No, deffo not offensive for an older lady

guapos wrote: »

Isn’t there a right steamy scene between Margarets future husband and some asian looking girl before they get married?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dont buy her Bridgerton then !!!

guapos wrote: »

from the above link

"In the following well-lit scene male graphic nudity showing pubic hair and the uppermost portion of penile shaft seen as the man gets into bed"

:eek: who made this Netflix or Penthouse ?

my poor'ol mam will have a seizure!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    Just finished watching season 4. It's funny how a drama like this can change one's perceptions of these people.

The Queen - comes off as mostly ok. Terribly stoic but a good operator.

Charles - have more sympathy for him now given the upbringing, father figures etc.

Philip - disliked him when Matt Smith with the ridiculous accent was playing him. More likeable as he gets older.

The Queen Mother - an old bag, a snob, a hag but funny in her own way. Born in 1900 so judging her for her part in locking up those imbecile cousins is a bit harsh.

Margaret - cold, snobbish, harsh, arrogant. Don't like Helena Bonham Carter anyway so she makes her really nasty.

Diana - overrated, a simpering drip. Pukey, vomit breath. Disgusting and no loss.

Sorry have you just reffered to people with mental disabilities as "imbeciles" and someone with the mental illness of bulimia as "pukey, vomit breath. Disgusting"? Because that is absolutely disgraceful.

Are there no mods around??

Sorry have you just reffered to people with mental disabilities as "imbeciles" and someone with the mental illness of bulimia as "pukey, vomit breath. Disgusting"? Because that is absolutely disgraceful.

Are there no mods around??

Imbecile was likely a medical term used at the time.

Re the unpleasant description of someone with Bulimia you can report it and mods will review. Not all posts are read by mods nor could they be expected to see them.

They’re characters in a TV show anyway so I don’t think you can hurt their feelings.

They’re characters in a TV show anyway so I don’t think you can hurt their feelings.

yes, but based on real people

The Royal family have survived wars attempted coups, assassination attempts and the odd bout of syphilis. To get there and stay there you would need a thick skin. Very smart women have seen what it is like to be in the Royal family and ran away.

• Advertisement

Yes exactly. The poster stated that the drama had changes his impression of the people in question. I. E. His view of the real Diana is now that... Well I'm not going to repeat it.

And just because someone used the term imbecile 60 or 70 years ago does not make it OK now. There are a lot of terms used back then that no right minded person would dream of using these days.

Yes exactly. The poster stated that the drama had changes his impression of the people in question. I. E. His view of the real Diana is now that... Well I'm not going to repeat it.
    And just because someone used the term imbecile 60 or 70 years ago does not make it OK now. There are a lot of terms used back then that no right minded person would dream of using these days.

It was used in the script by the character, so it does seem relevant to reference how it portrays the character?
    "Their illness, their idiocy and imbecility, would make people question the integrity of the bloodline."

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It was used in the script by the character, so it does seem relevant to reference how it portrays the character?
    "Their illness, their idiocy and imbecility, would make people question the integrity of the bloodline."

And if it was a racial slur would it be OK to repeat it?

And if it was a racial slur would it be OK to repeat it?

In reference to it being used in the portrayal of the character, yes.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In reference to it being used in the portrayal of the character, yes.

I think it's clear from the posters comment about Diana that he/she is not trying to be history accurate or to stay in character in repeating offensive statements. Not sure why you're trying to defend it.

I think it's clear from the posters comment about Diana that he/she is not trying to be history accurate or to stay in character in repeating offensive statements. Not sure why you're trying to defend it.

I didn't say anything about the Diana comments, and won't as I assume it has been reported.

Just pointing out that the description of the cousins was used in the script and so can be referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Looks like the offending post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lost one

I’m on early episodes of season 3.

There are two people (a married couple I think) who appear a few times when the Royal family are together - they are with them for the filming of the documentary and later when watching it. They appeared in earlier episode too.

Anyone know who they are?

The woman looks like Harriet Walter who Churchill’s wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I think star of the show had to have been Charles in season 3 and 4. A despicable, horrid character that was moulded by his wretched upbringing and forced into a marriage that lead to utter contempt and misery.

Try saying that not using his voice.

• Advertisement

I think star of the show had to have been Charles in season 3 and 4. A despicable, horrid character that was moulded by his wretched upbringing and forced into a marriage that lead to utter contempt and misery.

Try saying that not using his voice.

Not sure he was forced into the marriage. He could have married Camilla. I am thinking of a transfer with a promotion from the Household Guards to a stint in minding South Georgia weather station or a stint with the 14 Int Coy in Northern Ireland. That would have put the coolers on with Camilla. All is fair in Love and War. She had her fun with Captain Bowles and is now in line to be the next queen of England. Camilla wants to Queen of England more than Philip wants to be King. No wonder the queen has been so slow in abdicating.

Advertisement