Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've had to validate larger transaction since about August. Its more to do with the bank than Amazon. Doesn't matter where a big charge occurs I have to validate the transaction. In your case it was probably because Amazon treated your card as a new card.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amazon for me until today did not even require the CCV for transaction nor did it require Mastercard Secure Code (or the Visa equivalent).

Until yesterday they simply charged for me, today even small orders like 9£ need to be validated in App.

I don't mind but it's a change to the flow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Amazon's customer service can be really odd. I bought an mixed media box set recently (vinyl, CDs, BD). Cost was £100. One of the CDs was damaged but is available on a standalone basis for £10. I contacted Amazon Chat and got the usual "we'll send a replacement and you must post the original back". I said I didn't want to post the original back due - it's basically inconvenient as I have to take time off work and I had thrown away the Amazon packaging. Instead I said "here's my solution - give me a goodwill / partial refund of £10 and I'll buy the standalone CD".

"No. Can't do that."

"Can you refer it to a superviser"

They came back a few minutes later and said "I'll process a returnless refund. You keep the item or dispose of it as you see fit." - so later on that evening, a credit for £100 appeared in Amazon Gift Card. While that's great and all, it's baffling why they would do that.

Just had a very easy time getting a refund from Amazon. Might be product related?

When I was in the UK a month back I bought a pair (one item) of DeWalt 5Amp XR batteries. Great price. Got them home used them and recharged them a couple of times and the charge indicator on one stopped working.

Started an Amazon Chat and explained the problem and the problem with sending a lithium battery back to them from Ireland. Instant offer of a partial refund of half the price and no need to return it. The battery still works but just doesn't show if its charged or not but the charger still charges it. Great result. Just wonder if reps handle anything that might need shipping a damaged lithium battery differently from other items? I know they did a "recall" of some of their own lithium power banks by refunding customers and telling them to dispose of the batteries locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Josh2015

will I be charged import duty for an amazon.co.uk product costing €150.76.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

You’ll certainly be charged VAT if the product would attract VAT here. (Not exempt or zero rated).

Duty would depend on the tariff code.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If direct from and fulfilled by Amazon then there are no additional charges as Irish VAT is deducted at point of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Saw a deal on HUKD for the Sennheiser Momentum 4's on German Amazon.

For some reason (this is a recent development, i think) they cannot be shipped here. Checked .fr .co.uk and .es . Same thing.

Also HD 599 on .de and .co.uk, cannot be shipped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Has anyone else noticed that delivery times from Amazon DE have got much longer recently? It used to take a week max. Now the earliest delivery date for today is Wednesday 25 January. They are also using untracked Deutsche Post for deliveries which I've never seen before. Delivery is actually quick when dispatched, but dispatch takes ages.

I've no problems on Amazon UK. Delivery there is 1-2 days as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone else having trouble with returns? I posted an item a week ago but it's not arrived at Amazon UK. I am guessing that the strikes might be causing delays.

• Advertisement

I've never tracked an item I've returned to Amazon UK as far as the UK you normally see it get to Portlaoise Mail Center and thats the end of the road for the Tracking. Once there I normally contact Amazon on Chat and chase up the refund. I've found they often forget to refund for returned items if you don't remind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Most of my returns to Amazon over the last year have had a dunfermline address on them. It's annoying as I normally have to chase them up on the refund for the item and the refund for the full amount of the postage, as they only offer £9!

iirc most of mine were prepaid labels the last one was definitely to the Portlaoise Mail Centre address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just now heard an item on BBC news. Customers have been advised (by whom it didn’t say) to film themselves opening deliveries from Amazon.

A man in Scotland received dog food instead of a £1300 iPhone. Amazon refused to refund him since he hadn’t signed for the delivery - something we’ve all experienced. Be careful.

(My dealings with Amazon don’t extend beyond books, usually bought from dealers advertising on Amazon, rather the the 800lb gorilla itself.)

D.

All my returns have been to Dunfermline. 8 days & no sign of it arriving in the UK. I sent it registered as Amazon suggest this for items over €30

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Amazon refused to refund him since he hadn’t signed for the delivery

how is that a basis for refusing a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I assume there's no proof he received the goods. Though that opens another can of worms.

No idea.

D

When I heard the story on BBC Radio 4 the guy had signed for it (actually provided a passcode) and admitted the parcel was delivered, but he did eventually get his money back - probably because the BBC got interested.

You can listen to the guy from about 27minute 30 seconds in....

I have a strange one. Amazon agreed a faulty item return, refunded the postage & say that they now have the return but I have to fill in an incident report.

What went wrong with the item and what info do Amazon want?

• Advertisement

Now turns out that they have it. But another problem has occurred. When agreeing the return I told Amazon that I wanted the refund as a gift card because my original payment method no longer existed - it was a 3 Money card. But Amazon have ignored this & tried to credit the card. They refuse to understand that the account no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Has anybody gotten a VAT receipt for an item sold by a third party and delivered through Amazon?

The recipt on the order shows no VAT, as no UK VAT charged. In the transaction it mentions "import fees deposit" which was paid and I got a refund of a couple of pence.

In order to claim VAT for my company I need the VAT details though. An post didn't have any record of payment being required so Amazon obviously paid directly.

I was on the phone to customer service this morning and took a while to get them to understand what I wanted, it's now gone to a different department and I should get something within 48 hours I'm told. I'm far from convinced though. Maybe somebody has done this before and could share what to ask for and who to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Ordered a phone last night but when I got the confirmation email it said:

"We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item."

Any idea how long this usually takes? There was no warning that the phone wasn't in stock before buying and I really need it in the next couple weeks.

Anytime from days to months. Try a test buy with a UK address and see if that gives you an actual date. For some reason you get that msg when Amazon don't want to send stuff to Ireland from a specific warehouse but will send to the UK. If you can get a delivery date with a UK address it means there is stock but they are messing you around. Happened to me a few times and then its been months before they delivered but most of that time you get that message Amazon get back within a week to say the item has been dispatched.

Thanks for the reply! I tried a UK address and it said delivery by tomorrow. How annoying. I'm going to message customer service, not that I'm too hopeful it will speed anything up.

Good luck and don't give up. If you have Prime then I would go on about what's the point of having Prime when its no benefit and that Amazon are treating its Prime customers in Ireland as second class customers.

When they say they will contact the warehouse that means nothing will happen so tell them thats not good enough. You may end up talking to multiple reps if you use the chat (5 in one session is my record) but just keep at it.

This has happened to me with two items that were really good bargains. I'd suggest that Amazon are stringing us along as with a 2-3 month wait most people cancel the order. Only good thing is they don't take (reserve) any money until the goods are dispatched. Check your bank and if Amazon have put a hold on the relevant amount of cash then there's more ammo to get on to them to get them to send the item.

I spoke to them before seeing your reply and I think I went far too easy now.... They told me it was a problem with the dispatch centre first but once I pointed out that they're doing next day delivery for UK customers on the same item she came back and said they would investigate and that someone will contact me within 3 days. I'll give them the 3 days now and then go back more persistent.

They haven't held the money in my account but that's almost more annoying because now I have to make sure to keep enough money in there to cover it whenever they decide to take payment. I used my Revolut card and I normally just throw my spending money for the week in there.

It is a really good bargain on a Pixel Pro 6, it's at least €200 more expensive everywhere else I've checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Are you trying this with the £548.00 or the £449.00 offer? The £548.00 shows as prime next Thursday for me, while the £449.00 does not give me any forecast, in fact it just says, "prime delivery".

As to revolut you could move the appropriate amount into the £ now so that you don't need to worry about the exchange rate and pay more (but if it goes down you also won't get any savings).

All the way cheaper ones are not sold from Amazon (as far as I can see) and have a "can not be delivered to your location" on it.

Yeah it's the £449 one, it shows dispatched from Amazon and sold by Amazon on the listing for me but you're right that it just says prime delivery.

The other £548 one you mentioned is sold by a third party retailer Only Branded co UK. Other than that the only difference I can see between the two listings is the colour (and the delivery date). I'd rather not pay an extra £100 when the other deal is there. It was the price that swayed me towards choosing this phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

If I have a Amazon.co.uk gift card but I want to buy something on Amazon.de instead is that possible? If so, how is it done?

Advertisement