Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/stab-victim-lucky-to-be-alive-39033921.html

Nowhere seems to be safe from crime these days , spent a number of years in the 90s working in listowel , great country town but visited recently and a number of noticeable lowlifes knocking round all on drugs or selling drugs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Just wondered what listowel is like to live these days?

Seemed to be a nice buzz there when I passed through a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

zweton wrote: »
    Just wondered what listowel is like to live these days?

Seemed to be a nice buzz there when I passed through a few months back.

It's the same as everywhere else these days, there's not much buzzing going on, apart from the Bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's the same as everywhere else these days, there's not much buzzing going on, apart from the Bees.

Sorry should have said before this all kicked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good lunch in Listowel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Allos was always a good bet but I'm not sure if what days they are open and if they are open for lunch or just dinner at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good lunch in Listowel?

You can also get lunch in the LIstowel Arms Hotel in the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Was there many around for race week?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I hadn't been to Listowel in a long time, but we took a drive there today to meet up with an old friend. We went to the park for a walk and the playground with our little boy. I was never in there before and its a lovely park, so much space! Good playground too. We will definitely be popping out there again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

finbarrk wrote: »
    Was there many around for race week?

I'm surprised they went ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 toffee dave

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they went ahead

Are the races going ahead in Killarney today?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭mike2084

Eabha Jones and The Horseshoe Bar always very good as well - though I appreciate the OP may been for lunch by now 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Wow!Listowel people.Your road and street surfaces are really third world for a long time -Tarbert road-J B Keane Rd-Bridge Rd out past Kerry Ingredients are really awful.Have your political reps got any clout ?????

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭mike2084

All taken up with this Greenway and the proposed by-pass I think.

After they dug down to the Earth's core on Bridge Road, they'll be using the next 50 year's allocation of tarmac and rubble to fill the hole. When it's finished they'll start digging holes in the new surface to fix burst pipes, or to find missing machinery that was accidentally buried.

The by-pass will probably be a dirt road 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I was passing trough town today and the the proposed grrenway came into my taughts and I still can not get it into my head the route .Who came up with the brain wave of putting extra trafic onto John b Keane road is some joker .I raught a Listowel by-pass meant a road bypassong Listowel not putting extra traffic onto an already dangerously busy road in town .The biggest bottle neck is surely bridge road and what advantage will any of this bypass be there ,mad ,mad,mad

There will probably be two big traffic jams in the town, the old favourite in Bridge Road, made worse after narrowing the road after finishing the cycle lane(s), and the new one on the John B Keane Road. It'll be a through-pass not a bypass.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the bypass eventually opens. No one I've spoken to thinks that the route is a good idea 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Any end date for the current road works in Listowel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

They were supposed to be finished by St Patricks day, highly unlikely. There are also works at the square for the next few days and also the Greenville/Finuge area supposedly for a few weeks. It’s a complete disaster and businesses are really suffering.

I don't think that anyone is surprised that Bridge Road is being dug up again, with the exception of the powers that be who authorised the original works to be carried out. They didn't listen to the mere mortals, the very same mere mortals who will end up footing the bill for the balls up.

I understand that it's been decided that the farting little cycle lane that was constructed is three feet wider than it should be, something the world and his dog knew to be the case at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Setting up a book club in Listowel. If anyone has any interest message the facebook page Fiction Addiction Bookclub Listowel.

Is there anything thing on tonight for new years eve in Listowel? :)

Another business gone down the toilet in Listowel. I expect KCC will quadruple the Local Property Tax in an effort to make up for the commercial rates that they won't be getting once a few more businesses in the town vanish without trace.

I think most people have pinned the blame for this on all the roadworks that seem to have being going on in very recent years, not to mention the ongoing bypass roadworks that have completely screwed up the existing traffic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Yee the road works have caused major issues around Listowel over the last few years! and now they have a one-way system running all the way down JB Kean road causing big issues for anyone going to LIDL or ALDI. cant wait for all the new traffic running around the mini roundabout on the same road in a year's time!!!

Dan.

Thanks to the most recent sneaky move by Roderic O'Gorman's crowd, the gang of roving protesters will no doubt soon be descending on Listowel to start a riot, thanks to DP accommodation being set up next to the girls' convent school. It's pretty much a repeat of what happens all over the country, and there's never anything said by the government to put anyone's mind at rest. At this stage, even the most welcoming and charitable people are beginning to wonder what on Earth is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Could you not gather a few likeminded individuals for a peaceful protest similar to Lismore ,surely a dp centre situated next to a convent girls school is not suitable .Count me in if you want a peacefull protest

• Advertisement

I won't be gathering anyone, because rent-a-thugs from elsewhere in Ireland will make certain that any protest will be far from peaceful. Anyhow, I imagine that something is already being organised without any help from me.

Advertisement