Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st brigid's day, where's all the crosses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have any of the other 90% of people on this forum who went to an Irish Catholic school here in Ireland, ever been thought about how the dirty pagan gods and protestants are going to Hell or just this guy?

I don't believe him and think he is telling porkies.

Yes we were taught about hell, and that everyone who wasn't a good catholic was going there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Surely you move to other countries to engage with their traditions, not urinate on them.

Otherwise you are just a colonist.

Are immigrants into Ireland colonists? I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

topper75 wrote: »
    Surely you move to other countries to engage with their traditions, not urinate on them.

Otherwise you are just a colonist.

Are immigrants into Ireland colonists? I hope not.

Nobody's pissing on St Brigid's crosses.

There's no reason to believe this has anything to do with immigration.

Colonists, really?

Better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes we were taught about hell, and that everyone who wasn't a good catholic was going there.

It's interesting, I had the complete opposite experience. Hell was literally never brought up, ever, it was all luvy dovy soppy hippy Jesus stuff.

Really annoying young female teachers playing guitars, singing Christian songs and getting you to speak about your feelings.

This was 90s and early 00s so maybe things had changed by that stage. Tbh I think I would've preferred the hellfire and brimstone method. :D

Late 70s and it seemed to be a transition between eras then. You had the class teacher with all the Jesus loves you stuff, then the old priest would come into the class and start talking about hell :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The nuns made sure we knew about hell. Remember one little old nun, my 2nd class teacher, telling us that our guardian angels collected our sins in a special sack he carried and going to confession was how how the sack got emptied. If you died with sins in your sack the devil put you in it and carried you off to hell. Sweet dreams, little children. This was in 1980.

Of course, because we Catholics are the only ones that have the sacrament of confession we are the only ones that can go to heaven because our sins can be absolved. No matter how good a protestant is they can never go to heaven, but maybe they can stick around in purgatory, which is better than hell. Distinctly remember my 6th class teacher telling us this in 1984. It distressed me because my BIL is C of E and I was traumatised thinking he was going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RayCun wrote: »
    Nobody's pissing on St Brigid's crosses.

There's no reason to believe this has anything to do with immigration.

Colonists, really?

Better luck next time.

Ok - it's the next time - I'll try my 'luck' again! :o

They are pissing on traditions when they ignore them or refuse to engage with them. The kids of the 'new' Irish should do as Irish kids have always done. Otherwise how are we supposed to accept them as Irish at all. Unless of course I have missed something offensive about this time-honoured craft?
    Making a cross does not put you under some hoodoo sway of a controlling parish priest. Don't be so fearful of Irish ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭alloywheel

Topper75, you can still be Irish without believing in a particular religion or superstitions or whatever you want to call it yourself, like..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

topper75 wrote: »
    Ok - it's the next time - I'll try my 'luck' again! :o

They are pissing on traditions when they ignore them or refuse to engage with them. The kids of the 'new' Irish should do as Irish kids have always done. Otherwise how are we supposed to accept them as Irish at all. Unless of course I have missed something offensive about this time-honoured craft?
    Making a cross does not put you under some hoodoo sway of a controlling parish priest. Don't be so fearful of Irish ways.

Stop being such a drama queen.

Not doing a thing /= pissing on that thing

And again, since you missed this last time in your rush to blame everything on foreigners, there's no reason to believe this has anything to do with "the new Irish". Unless by "new" you mean "born in the last 60 years".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭sporina

Happy St. Brigid's Day all.. and Spring is here woo hoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

I'm not saying any of this malarkey matters a damn but it seems highly likely that 'Brigid' represents a Pagan goddess more than a Christian saint....plus the cross of Brigid is an ancient symbol of the sun or good luck belonging actually to the same family as the Swastika. Ultimately, anything one likes can be read into these ciphers.

P.S. Just saw Conall Cernach's post @ 2.49 !

Also , according to Maeve Brigid Callan , Professor of Religion in Iowa , St.Brigid is in effect the patron saint of abortion. ...which my or may not be of interest to R Catholic enthusiasts of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

they made them in my kids school - Catholic ethos in north Kildare. The school and the specific teacher is great for keeping up traditions - I’m told there were some complaints by some “new irish” parents at Christmas over the kids learning hymns and gathering around the life size crib etc. Harmless stuff. The parents were told to either remove their kids from the school or put up with it, which they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭archfi

Happy St. Brigid's Day

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was taught by nuns and we never made crosses, we were told about hell and were also regularly informed that we were all likely to end up there. 😂

Not to mention how they do be (mis)treating the women ....oops , the feminist sisters won't like me saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One of the nuns used to go around inspecting the local kids and on occasion where she asked one of them..

“ show me your cross “..

this happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

P.S. Just saw Conall Cernach's post @ 2.49 !

You should be looking at the date and not the time more specifically the year. You are replying to people who posted four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I don't think anybody, bar some far right irish catholics (otherwise known as nuns) could give a toss about brigid's day.

Oh, and spring doesn't start for another month so I wouldn't go changing the duvet just yet.

• Advertisement

St. Brigid is pre christian!

Seriously - St. Brigid's Day wishes to ye all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Take a second to read what you just wrote.

wait for it...

wait for it...

Still stumped? I'll give you a clue - look at the first 2 letters in your post (and the full stop after them).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That's such a shame as its part of our heritage as well.

When my boys were younger they attended the local ET school. There they took a different approach and celebrated all the various festivals Catholic Muslim Jewish etc.

A much more holistic approach.

no hope for some of you board's folk at all.. ye need some love in your lives

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good to know that Irish Catholics are as tolerant as ever 🙄 Maybe read the Constitution of Ireland sometime, especially the bit about the right to freedom of religion in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

90 people at the local community centre making them. there's three in our house !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The 'St.' is just shameful Catholic rebranding of a pagan intellectual property. They should be sued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Christianity is an imported religion of Middle Eastern origin, nothing Irish about it. :D

Advertisement