Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like Patty Gurdy but that song is completely generic

She's capable of much better

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This song from the Finnish contenders is already getting a lot of attention

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

90% + of the TV audience (and voters presumably) are not gay, so I'm not sure that is any advantage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

I agree with regards to Public Image Limited they will get the disenchanted vote and they will be known by punks all over the world! Whether they watch the Eurovision is another matter!

Post edited by penelope2012 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Check out my fan made visualiser for ADGY Too Good for my Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

So who do we think will win Eurosong on Friday?

This year it is quite hard to predict. I think number of factors will decide it;

Adgy's live performance. Can he deliver a banger properly in The Late Late Show studio?

How good the final version of Midnight Summer Night is.

How big Wild Youth's fanbase is and if they vote for them? Also how the juries score We Are One.

How people, particularly the juries, react to Public Image Limited.

If I had to call it I'd say Connolly with Midnight Summer Night but if Wild Youth do well with the juries I feel their fan base could take them over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If Connolly can sing that song live she would be a good selection (and have a decent chance at making the final).

Wild Youth have the fanbase so will get plenty of public votes...but not sure about the juries.

ADGY has a slight chance I think, the song is catchy.

Outside of these three I don't see any of the songs having a chance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭fitz

The Connolly song is a lawsuit waiting to happen, it's a slowed down version of Clocks by Coldplay.

The Adgy track has the best hook/chorus but some weird production choices in the rest of the song.

I don't see any of the songs getting out of a semi-final tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,500 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Tomorrow night, folks!

Live on BBC2 at 7pm! :)

• Advertisement

Do Wild Youth really have a big fanbase? They had one successful EP about five years ago and have done very little since. They look for all the world like they are using Eurosong to try and kick start their (struggling) career. I notice they have no gigs lined up for 2023.

I'd have ADGY as a marginal favourite but I'm intrigued to see how Connolly performs live.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Probably a three horse race between Connolly, Adgy and Wild Youth. Think Connolly stands the best chance of standing out at Eurovision so she might be the one to go for. I like Adgy's song but the chorus lets it down.

I still can't get over how bland and basic the Wild Youth song is though. Is this really the same band that released Modern Colosseum just three months ago?

I also thought Wild Youth were bigger than they actually are to be honest. 25,000 followers on Instagram, and they don't even have a Wikipedia page.

Yeah I think people might be over estimating the Wild Youth fanbase.The public generally vote for the best song .

For the SF allocation I just hope we are 2nd half and have the UK voting in our SF to give usaboost. Beyond that it doesn't really matter what countries we are drawn with. Last year Brooke was supposedly drawn with most of Ireland's voting friends in her SF for all the good it did her in the end. The most important thing is to send a strong song and deliver a polished and professional performance. Hopefully we make the right decision on Friday night...

I wouldn't rule Wild Youth out to win but you'd have to say it's probably the most bland and generic song in the entire contest.

Those three are probably the contenders but Leila Jane might have a chance as well : she seems a good live singer and is quite experienced at gigging.

No love on here for PiL? Definitely a grower.

Granted, it wouldn’t be what you would call ‘Eurovision fare’, but then again neither was Salvador Sobral in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,745 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a grower but the problem with Eurovision is it won't have any time to grow on the majority of public voters who will decide based on one performance. Strange choice for them to send in and not something with a bit more energy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's actually a nice and pleasant listen, very relaxing. Would be risky though, especially in the televote - it's more something juries would go for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Listened to the ADGY song was expecting him to go 'Hey baby when you look at me I know we're in double trouble tonight' during the chorus.

The pots..

Confirmed!

Ireland in Semi-Final 1, performing in the first half.

• Advertisement

Semi Final 1 - First Half

Serbia

Latvia

Ireland

Norway

Portugal

Croatia

Malta

Semi Final 1 - Second Half

Sweden

Moldova

Switzerland

Israel

Netherlands

Finland

Azerbaijan

Czech Republic

Semi Final 2 - First Half

Armenia

Cyprus

Romania

Denmark

Belgium

Iceland

Greece

Estonia

Semi Final 2 - Second Half

Albania

Australia

Austria

Lithuania

San Marino

Slovenia

Georgia

Poland

Once all songs are selected I think Ireland will have wound up in the much stronger semi final. Also important to note the UK won't be voting in our semi final, which leads me to the (extremely shocking) conclusion that we'll struggle to qualify again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a vague similarity to Clocks.

Nice tune. Probably bland as a Eurovision song though.

How could anyone get Clocks from Midnight Summer Night? 😬

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭fitz

The question is more how it's possible to not hear the elements of Clocks in the Connolly song. It's got the same chord progression on the underlying synth pads, the drum line is close to identical, and the main piano hook from Clocks is right there. Listen from 1:45 in: https://youtu.be/OWbqdg3vSAI, then listen to Clocks from the start.

I don't think it's a conscious thing, at least I'd hope not.

Post edited by fitz on

Definitely a bit of that but I would expect the revamp to fix that possibly....we will see Friday!

I think it is definitely the biggest unknown really for the national final. Could win it or literally come last.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Needs to have its own show midweek for a wider voting demographic.

Who's going to be in on Friday night watching Turbiddy?

Ah who knows.

I know they sold out Whelan's very recently (admittedly a small venue).

I think if they had put one of their normal songs for want of a better word in they could have done well, but the song seems machine tooled in a bad way to fit what they think a Eurovision song should be like.

Jesus, Ireland's draw was diabolical :( We are going to be on first half, with so many of the big hitters & without the UK voting in our semi. I know a strong entry will qualify regardless but if you are borderline it was a nightmare. I think CONNOLLY is our only option as the song sounds uniquely Irish and will stand out if delivered/staged strongly. Wild Youth will open SF1if they are chosen on Friday, 'We Are One' screams show opener. ADGY could also be a show opener and be over shadowed by other bangers, especially if Finland choose 'Cha, Cha, Cha'.

Going by his performance here during the summer it will be top class

• Advertisement

They are definitely contenders and could win it, but I think their fanbase is overstated. It would be no surprise if they won, but no surprise either if they finished 3rd / 4th.

Advertisement