Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think so tbh. We should be picking the best song regardless of genre. Plenty of slow/mellow songs do well just look at Portugal.

I think we have partially done so poorly recently by going for the most "Eurovision y" song we can get. The Wild Youth song is definitely in that category, swedish songwriters, pop, I am pretty sure we are one was literally a recent Eurovision slogan

I quite like the Leila Jane song a bit like something Gabrielle Aplin would release...but is it also maybe a bit dare I say it Leslie Roy...shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

This is genuinely absolutely...dreadful...I knew Rotten couldn't sing but still..

• Advertisement

Pil are amazing but that’s not a good example

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for all the links.

I'd be sending Wild Youth, but of course a lot depends on how well the song translates to live performance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LordBasil

So disappointed with Wild Youth song. A generic unity song written by the same guy who wrote 'Dying to try'. We tried a similar formula in 2016 with Nicky Byrne and flopped terribly.

For me it is either Adgy or Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They're all a bit generic Eurovision,the kind of thing they've moved away from in recent years in favour of actual good music. RTE might get the memo in 25-30 years.

I'm sure PIL is worthy and all...,but scalded cat.

Marty Whelan on the radio now saying all 6 songs would make the final....delusional

• Advertisement

I love the CONNOLLY song too, plus bare in mind that seems to be a demo version so final version should be pretty different.

Wild youth song is a disappointment it sounds a bit like where the streets have no name as well...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

We'll have his inevitable meltdown to look forward to at 9:57PM on the evening of the semi final then.

The Wild Youth song is like one of those crap official World Cup songs.

Might as well send Johnny Rotten for the craic. None of the rest of them will do anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Wild Youth sounds the one that is 'written for Eurovision' - rather bland and generic.

The others sound like they could exist outside of Eurovision at least. I don't think Wild Youth are hot favourites either, as some seem to think. They've gone off the boil and haven't had a hit in a few years....their supposed fanbase may be totally overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Even at this early stage I'd happily bet a significant amount of cash on the exact opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭weadick

The deal clincher will be John Lydons performance on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wild Youth entry is so bland and generic, hope they don't get voted through.

Connolly and Leila Jane are best artistically, PIL entry decent enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Leila Jane song is a bit formulaic, but pleasant enough, could have a decent chance qualifying before finishing 22nd in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭delboy85

Have just listened to the songs.

A big improvement overall from last years offerings.

I think CONNOLLY is my favourite and the most interesting at this early stage but some of the others are decent too.

The Wild Youth song sounds very generic and dated. It sounds like an X-Factor winners song from 15 years ago. It will probably be selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally listened to all the songs.

Too Good For Your Love: I actually quite like this. It does feel a bit EDM by numbers though, and the chorus lets it down somewhat. With good staging I think it could qualify.

Midnight Summer Night: It's all quite nice but without a standout moment. Reminds me of Victoria who represented Bulgaria in 2021. Maybe this could do well with juries?

We Are One: I think most of the comments above summed this up quite well. A plodding, generic, Eurovision-by-numbers effort. Very disappointed, particularly after they were so insistent on RTE giving them a shot. Clearly, they tried the doomed writing a 'good for Eurovision' song. I was hoping they might reveal Modern Colosseum as the song, now that would've looked and sounded impressive on the Eurovision stage.

Wild: Arguably the worst of the bunch. As bland and beige as possible, kinda like something I imagine Nicky Byrne having a hand in writing.

Down in the Rain: MOR rap that's ten-a-penny on Spotify. Would have no hope of qualifying.

Hawaii: Didn't do anything for me on a first listen, and I doubt that would change upon seeing it live.

All things considered, I think Adgy or Connolly should be sent to Liverpool.

Re: Hawaii.

I've listened to the song numerous times and I'd dearly love it to qualify.

However, I ask myself, if it wasn't Lydon/Pil, would I rate it as highly as i do? Definitely not. I probably wouldn't have given it a second listen.

But "it is" Lydon and because he's revealing and sharing such emotions about his 5 decade relationship with his wife as it nears its end, that makes a massive difference and it's powerful in a way that the other songs are definitely not.

Will it strike a chord and resonate/impress a much wider and younger audience? I doubt it, but his performance might make a difference.

Is Hawaii a Eurovision song? Very probably not. Will it be memorable and resonate for years to come? Probably Yes.

Are the others typically generic and probably instantly forgettable? Yes and Yes.

Can Lydon deliver a performance on the night to qualify for Ireland? I don't really think it matters, he's already made a difference and shared a song that will be around for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The only issue I have with Hawaii is that it looks very much a 'jury' song and one that wouldn't do well in the televote, but it 'is' very charming.

At a guess, I'd say it's between Adgy, Connolly and Wild Youth for the victory, but hard to predict what will happen given there are three different juries and we haven't seen or heard how any of them look or sound live.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The Late Show will have an older demographic,so Lydon's song could well do well.

Not sure how well it would go down with what is apparently a growing young audience for the Eurovision though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 71,943 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

PiL will definitely be representing Ireland in Eurovision this year. But…

I could be wrong,

I could be RIGHT!

*takes a bow*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭squarecircles

My fan video for Midnight Summer night. Go Connolly !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Belgium

What a strange choice. Must've been a poor national final if this was the victor.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,943 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I think that song could be a grower come May - a 90’s Italo-house feel to it.

Not sure about the outfit though…

• Advertisement

Quite like it. It seems to have practically become a gay festival also for some reason,so that's a plus for him.

Advertisement