Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

This is how I'm surprised at a single season for the 1st game. There's a whole world of story in between each set piece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Lovely way to pass a dreary Monday evening in January. Beautiful tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

Have never played the game but am looking forward to the pc release. I really liked the first 2 episodes but I thought episode 3 was fantastic TV. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fantastic episode, Murray Bartlet is a superb actor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But those episodes would usually be later on with established characters you would get more of. Or in the case of something like the Other Guys episode of SG1 it was later on and also it helped fill a long season.

With this we're still only getting to know Joel and Ellie after a big death of someone else we barely knew but they take a break to give a whole background and fleshed out side characters we never met before.

Again, it's a great episode and the changes don't bother me. I barely remember Bill in the game. but just feels like it should be in some sort of anthology rather than taking away 1 episode from a 9 episode season.

I will say though that Bill was a bit of an idiot and pretty much fell into a possible honey trap, as paranoid as he is. Frank gets himself invited to dinner, seduces Bill then could've cleaned him out when he went to take the shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,000 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmmm...That episode was seriously dragging the the story off trail. As a stand alone movie or story in its own right, it's fine. But as an episode for this show it serves no real purpose? And it actually killed the story stone dead.

I know Bill from the game and how he helps the main characters, but what was the point of setting up ten years of the past of an NPC and then kill him before Joel and Ellie get to his house? That was just odd. Even if he'd helped his partner die, but lived himself to meet Joel and Ellie toward the end of the episode, it would have felt like an actual addition to this story. But as it is, it's like a mashup of two different shows.

Strange choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It was fine, even a good episode but the hyping up of it is way OTT.

It was far too long and killed the momentum of the previous 2 episodes. I'm not against bottle episodes but it's really strange to put one in episode 3 of a show.

To me it felt like the show creators making an episode specifically to pander to critics rather than to serve the overall story - it seems to have certainly worked in that regard.

Hopefully we get back on track in episode 4 because this has the potential to be a great series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

An interesting, heartfelt and ultimately very fitting divergence from the game, though I think those praising it as a "bottle episode" are actually doing it a disservice. Ellie and Joel are still very much at the heart of this episode even if they aren't at the forefront of it. The final 20 minutes and Bill's letter really emphasises this by noting the similarities between Bill and Joel. This also comes after last week's episode ended with Joel recoiling from Tess and leave her coldly without saying goodbye. For new viewers not familiar with the game, the episode was probably needed to fully establish the themes of the story and the different paths characters choose to take in this world. What I am also seeing is Mazin taking many aspects of how part 2 approached telling its story and integrating them into part 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The reason why the episode is where it is, and isn't part of a separate anthology show or whatever, is because it has deep resonance for Joel going forward.

Bill was someone who was closed off from the world even before the outbreak, and for a few years after was happy with just surviving. But by allowing himself to engage with someone else, he was able to find something special. He stopped just surviving, and started trying to live (as much as Frank was able to push him to anyway). There's also a clear comparison made in the episode between Joel/Tess and Bill/Frank, where Tess and Frank are more open to working with and trusting others, in part for mutual benefits but also because it occasionally allows them to feel some normality. But Joel and Bill remain closed off and only willing to engage with each other if and when they have to.

But there are small moments we see in Bill & Frank's backstory that are necessary to see the effect their deaths will have on Joel. With Bill's letter, and knowing that Bill chose to kill himself rather than live without Frank, Joel realises that he and Tess were never able to have what Bill and Frank had, because Bill stopped closing himself off, but Joel hasn't. Bill was able to find something worth living for rather than just surviving, but Joel didn't allow himself to have that with Tess. And now Joel has lost Tess, but also Bill & Frank. Frank tells Bill something along the lines of "Paying attention to the details is how you show love". Bill tells Joel in his death note that he never really liked or trusted Joel... but he leaves the window open in their room so the house doesn't smell bad for him. He still left all his stuff ready for Joel if he wants it. Bill, in his own way, is showing Joel the respect and friendship he ultimately did feel for him, and urging him to find something worth living for.

It's definitely a huge departure from the game to the point where comparisons can't really be made. The Bill section of the game and this episode of the show serve such vastly different purposes. Bill's death is a part of the impetus (like Tess' death) that helps push Joel forward to try and find Tommy and take Ellie with him, especially because Joel has now pretty much lost the only people he was close to in the Boston area. Now all he has left is Tommy (given that he still hasn't spent a lot of time with Ellie as of yet).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,212 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

An incredible episode, and a welcome interlude from the action of the first two episodes. In the context of the isolationism of the main storyline, a lovestory like that was unexpected but incredibly grounding and human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That was the first episode that didn't peak with the opening. Brilliant throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Currently getting review bombed on IMDB, presumably by homophobes.

I thought it was a brilliant episode, and I really enjoyed that we had an end of the world show featuring a survivalist!

Also, maybe it's just me, but I thought it's a great nod to videogames and loot crates in games with Pascal putting the gun back with a little ammo and explaining that the routes are known and someone else might need it.

Gonna have a re-watch tonight, I was a bit too tired for it last night.

I wouldn't be surprised if those characters did show up in future flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think the praise for this episode is a bit over the top. It was pretty good but also a bit silly. It was compared to the start of Up by the Guardian which I completely get but that wasn't almost an hour long.

There is a lot of "so brave to diverge from the main characters" but I feel like it wasn't brave at all because they knew exactly that it's the kinda move critics lap up.

I do like that it filled out the world a little bit. I often find the wider world more interesting than the plot. Shows like Walking Dead and Handmaid's Tale got boring very fast A plot wise. For instance when Frank said "Baltimore QZ is gone" all I want now is to see Baltimore QZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭89897

Bill set up the barriers, defenses etc for himself but now he has Frank. He said in the strawberry scene that he was never afraid until he met Frank. I saw the going out shooting with no cover as his being afraid and going all out to defend Frank and their home. I think it just showed how much he actually was deeply in love and when fear took over he did something very dangerous. It perfectly showed how human Bill was and how people can be even in a world like they live in.

It did seem a bit odd, but I'd put it down to two things; Bill is a survivalist/prepper who basically thinks he's Rambo, but he's also not Rambo. We have no idea if he has any actual training or military experience, but likewise there's little reason to assume the raiders do either. But also we see Joel at the start talking about missing shots happens far more than you'd think. The raiders are panicked, flames shooting off in front of them etc. Bill may be out in the open, but he also has a huge advantage over them and has likely placed himself where he can take out the raiders as quickly as possible even at the expense of cover, because the longer they survive the more chance they either regroup and take control or make a run for it and return more prepared, and both of those scenarios puts Frank in more danger.

Bill's risk is half calculated, half emotional. He has to protect Frank at all cost (to the point of not even waking him or having him ready to help), and if anything he becomes more distracted when Frank rushes out.

But yeah, it did feel a bit off, and was partially just to serve the fakeout of thinking Bill might have died, then presuming Bill was in the wheelchair on the porch, until we see it's Frank in the wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I think some people haven't heard of world and character building, great episode, was glued to it.

The show HAS to give a push to Joel.

In the game you're playing as him, you impart your own feeling on him, you interact with Ellie as him, so you accept his softening to her.

This entire episode gets to drive this home. If we hadn't seen the character history then the letter at the end means nothing. That letter reference to Tess (aside, RIP to Annie Wershing) was like a hammer blow to Joel, you could see realisation of loss finally hit him. He barely held it together outside.

Bill didn't like Joel, they were too alike, but he grew to respect and trust him. You saw that when he was shot, thought he was dying, and insisted Frank search out Joel.

His final act was to try to push Joel to live rather than just survive, not knowing it was too late for Joel and Tess, but just in time for Ellie.

It's a fantastic way of opening that empathy. Would have rung hollow and forced if we didn't get to know Bill and Frank.

Also that scene with the strawberries was worth the whole episode

One of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen

Also that scene with the strawberries was worth the whole episode

that laugh / giggle was the zenith of the episode imo

Also, outstanding decision to cast Nick Offerman. Guy probably created the sets to be authentic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭walkonby

One minor quibble about this one. When the raiders attack, Bill stands out in the open firing back using a rifle with a scope on it (which leads to Frank going and distracting him so he takes a bullet). Why wouldn’t he be lying up on roof or at least positioned somewhere where he isn’t such a big obvious target? I don’t usually go in for this nitpick-y type criticism (it didn’t really matter to the overall arc of the plot) but it just pulled me out of the episode for a moment. We’d just watched the guy spend years preparing for exactly this kind of situation and he did something incredibly reckless and foolish when it arrived.

But overall an well-judged divergence from the game (though I’m expecting it to be the only major one).

I know nothing about the computer game so didn’t know how important ( or not ) the character of Bill is ?

it was probably a little early to have a “ bottle “ episode but that’s the only criticism I’d have, Bill was an Alex Jones fan type and probably had the same house ( fortress ) set up before zombies took over, it was a great episode the way it showed some people could create a fairly normal happy life despite the apocalyptic madness beyond the gates

watched the Chipendales mini series recently and while the show was mixed in my opinion, Bartlet was as usual fantastic

theres a few credible reasons

1. he was panicked by his defense of Frank
    2. he wasnt actually very militarily minded
    3. he thought his booby traps would 'light up' the raiders and maybe the middle of the road was the best spot to take them out (the fact that both he and frank survived shows that this probably worked)

My only criticism would be the raider's attack. I imagine a survivalist wouldn't stand in the middle of the road like that. Tiny nitpick

Without going into game spoilers, Bill is a very minor character in the game, and I think the show has done a better job of making him important and having a greater impact on Joel going forward than the game did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That was great TV and people complaining about it just have no soul. Simple

Was just a great human story set in world of madness that had plenty of relevance and impact on the overall story.

Bill was deep down just a fantasist conspiracy theorist, he had a good mechanical mind for traps etc but he was no military trained guy , standing wide open like that , even Frank knew he was a sitting duck

That was great tv , I honestly thought frank was getting a bullet in the head the second he started singing and also vice Versa !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not sure why its getting so much love at all,

Yes it was good TV but added absolutely nothing to the plot ,

They must have very little of story to tell if your wasting a whole episode away form the plot line ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

That was the first time playing the game hindered my viewing. If I had of came in fresh when Frank came in I would have been on edge wondering if he was going to turn on Bill (like my wife did) but knowing who he was early on that factor was taken out. Still all and all it was riveting tv. I like the way the story started with Joel and Ellie and ended with them. As said above I did not appreciate the raiders scene, for a show where attention to detail has been great thus far, they dropped the ball there. With Bill incapacitated even the dumbest of raiders could have figured out how to defeat the traps the next day. Aside from that it was great. Love the start where he takes the boat, I was like why is he bothering with that? Very clever.

Advertisement