Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Could mirror the later Game of thrones seasons then where the author gave a blue print for an ending but the TV creator were more used to slightly changing the script for their adaptation, so struggle. I would guess that TLOU3 will be the last game with those characters, doesn't seem to be a series you could make many games for like God of War which I think is on game 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 33,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

With HBO taking two years between seasons for a lot of shows (last few seasons, of Game of Thrones, Westworld, probably others), if they made TLOU2 into two seasons which they've hinted in interviews they would, that would be 2025 and 2027. By the time they're doing a season based on TLOU3, that'd be 2029. Plenty of time for a third game to come out, and if anything the popularity of the show would drive sales of the game through the roof, especially going by the spike in sales of TLOU1 over the past week. Either way, Neil Druckmann would still be heavily involved (I'd see Craig Mazin leaving the show to move on to something else before Druckmann would) so it would still be true to whatever they want to do with the game. If anything, the game would be made with the foreknowledge they'd likely be adapting it for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Hopefully they will go their own way with the story after 1st season

no reason to be bound by the game entirely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I wouldn't be shocked if the game series came to an end or went in a totally different direction with new characters.

A game series running concurrently with a TV show has never been done before and I'm not sure it can be done. Crunchmann even hinted his next game could be a sci-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭walkonby

I think Druckmann’s involvement with the tv series will tend to push development of the game out further.

They have said they are adapting the story of the two games, and the show won’t be going its own route or extending beyond the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Doubtful. Part II was just a series of events without a satisfying conclusion. The door was left open for more. Since the show is breaking records for HBO , its highly likely they won't end it on a sour note after just two seasons. I bet the story will continue on in the show , not the games.

Well that would be totally contrary to what the showrunner and producer of the games says.

“We have no plans to tell any stories beyond adapting the games,” he says. “We won’t run into the same issue as Game of Thrones since Part II doesn’t end on a cliffhanger.” 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/the-last-of-us-hbo-pedro-pascal-bella-ramsey-interview-1235290103/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Part 2 has a definite conclusion to that story whether people like it or not. Yeah, the ending is open to a 3rd game but they could also do something completely different within the tlou universe also.

I created a thread in the games forum. For full on TLOU Spoiler chat for all the games and tv show, no spoiler tags needed. It was bad enough when people got spoiled before TLOU 2 even came out, would be crap if the same happened with the tv show.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058280128/the-last-of-us-megathread-spoilers#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great shout.

There are too many minor game spoilers that are potentially huge TV spoilers hidden behind spoiler tags that the non-gamer will unwittingly click on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone spot the SARS sign at the start in Jakarta 2003?

I was travelling around South East Asia in 2003 and remember SARS fondly

Nice attention to detail there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Seán Burke and WWN seem to have aligned with Now TV on this:

https://twitter.com/SeanBurkeShow/status/1617929273947615232?t=lgtBxm-aem54oaRRyrn82g&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Do they have a clever way of showing that people around the world wasnt instantly aware of the the outbreak starting in Indonesia?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I actually looked at a packet of flour in my press this morning expecting to say 'made in Jakarta and was ready to throw it in the bin :) but it just said 'packaged in Ireland', no mention of its origin. I'd be interested to see if Indonesia eventually told the world of their ground zero but as Ep 1 in the kitchen scene, that was 2 days after the scene we saw in Jakarta so I assume the batches of flour were already being shipped worldwide and they didn't say anything to the media.

That seems fast though for 2 days later to adjust be affecting people in America. Sarah mentioned pancake mix, I assume she meant no flour to make the mix without the writers wanting to specifically mention the F word.

But yeah, I'd like to see how they discovered the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Haha, no that that someone else. I wasn't the one that needed the plot explained :)

As for E2 I did in fact enjoy it more than E1. I certainly liked the imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's only about 10 hours of gameplay in The Last of Us. The TV show is going to be 9 episodes I think? If they dragged it out, the pacing would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What the crack with the clicker lads, why are they different to the normal infected lads,

Also if its 20 years later why are there still loads fresh zombie looking lads running around, should they not die ?

Do they age when there zombie lads or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The fungus has robbed them of their sight, so they have to hone in by some sort of sonar. Hence the click. I presume it's some sort of echolocation.

Also, cordyceps keeps its host alive, while simultaneously feeding on it. How it does that for 20 years is anyone's guess though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Clickers are a more advanced stage of infected - the fungus has effectively grown so much in their brain that it has burst through their skull. They can't see but are very sensitive to sound so attack based on that. They're more aggressive and resilient than the basic infected.

There are a few stages of infected. You have Runners, which are newly infected, probably in the first month or two after being infected. They're fast and pretty vicious. Stalkers are maybe up to a year infected and are more likely to kind of lie in wait to try catch victims to infect. Then you have Clickers.

With Clickers, the infection has gotten so bad that the fungus has grown out of their brain to the point where it covers their eyes, so they can't see. The clicking sound is also because the fungus has grown around their throat/vocal chords. So they have to wander around blindly to try find victims, so they have better hearing to try locate victims. The growth of the fungus also gives them extra protection, strength and durability, so it makes them harder to kill. It also makes them far more vicious because it's harder for them to carefully infect a victim since they can't see and have less feeling, so they're more likely to just kill a person while trying to infect them.

So the fresher-looking infected we saw were probably infected for less than a year, whereas the Clickers in the museum have been infected probably for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Cordell

We shouldn't think too much about it :) The fungus grows by digesting the host, and yet the host still somehow retains the muscle mass and energy needed to be a fast predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In fairness the science has holes but it's way closer to real science than the "it's a virus" answer you get from any other zombie story.

I only recently found out that the game was inspired by the same Attenborough show where I first learned about cordyceps. That ant really freaked me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it is 20 years post the start of the infection. how are there still that many recently infected? are there that many people still living outside the quarantine zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That's exactly my thought there looked like hundreds in that on shot lying on the ground ,what where that many people doing hanging around the City surley its be safer to be living out some place where you can see people coming , not a city where they can jump out behind a wall or a car or whatever,

There's an element of suspending your disbelief as regards the science but also, society has collapsed entirely with this new infection so the show could validly claim that the infected have somehow found a way to survive for 20 years even though so many of them die. The science isn't fully explained and the show doesn't (yet) claim to have done that.

As outlined at the start, the infection doesn't want the host to die so it's reasonable to assume that many infected are surviving long past others.

Plus, America has over 300m people, its plausible that survivors held out for years and were gradually picked off.

As we kind of saw in the first episode, the quarantine zones are basically forced labour camps. You do awful jobs for a few credits for rations, but there are very few amenities or anything to enjoy, and FEDRA run them very strictly (just straight up hanging smugglers they caught). But you still have lots of people like Joel and Tess (and Robert & his group) who are smugglers and trade with other camps etc. Then you also have the likes of Marlene's group, the Fireflies, who oppose FEDRA. Then you could also just have people trying to move from one quarantine zone to another, or have set up their own camps/settlements not run by FEDRA, or are just out looking for supplies.

It's mostly to justify why it's still dangerous outside the safe zones and why the infected haven't just died off, which is typical "zombie apocalypse" stuff.

I do enjoy the slow feed of information on what caused the infection. It avoids the usual approach of an overload of information at the start and then hastily moving on. I hope it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Also think about all the compounds and isolationist groups and cults etc that are in America even today. Imagine how many of these would pop up. and how many of them would fail, with people leaving etc. So you could have many people leaving in dribs and drabs over the years.

Advertisement