Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Just on the TE blocking - Joe Thomas just gave his thoughts on it in a thread which are along the same lines as mine

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Quite possibly the worst news coming out of that game...if not the worst, not far off. Purdy with a complete tear, needing surgery, probably minimum 6 months recovery, that leads right into August & training camp.

Here we go! I'm in the go talk with Brady camp when you're allowed, suck it up & see if they can work something out for a year. Sure up that O-Line for Brady, then keep it for Purdy. Brady will naturally attract a few good free agents. The cap has gone up something like 15 million. We dont need Brady to run, or throw it deep, just dink & dunk to Ayuik, Deebo, CMC, Kittle. Try & do a Manning & Broncos last ride. Doesn't matter if he just hangs on with the team, if it gets us the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Celtic_Eagle

As an Eagles fans this is pretty much on point for me. I actually think if Brock stays in then the game is decided by a score here or there either way as at that stage of the game the SF Defense were getting on top.

The injury lottery is what kills most teams chances at this time of the year and like you say there is pretty much nothing that can be done! Aside from muscular injuries that you can somewhat do some prep for there is nothing that can be done to avoid what happened to Purdy or even Bosa who had an unbelievable game carrying a bit of a knock.

The Eagles campaign over the last few years died on injury hill with no O-Line to work with. Some of the squad leaders and captains were out, Lane and Brandon Graham etc and unfortunately at this level you cannot do without them. Its bad luck and unfortunately for you guys you were decimated in the most important position on the field. SF have the makings of a team that will go close over the next couple of years again if they can plug this QB gap.

Hopefully Brady comes in close to vet minimum for the opportunity to play for his childhood team.

Would rather just ride with Lance if Brady is asking for any type of decent money. With him it is similar to his last year with the Patriots, has his performances fallen off a cliff or is it the team that is a mess? It was the latter the last time but I wouldnt want to risk a very tight cap situation on it not being at least somewhat the former this time.

Well it won't be Tommy coming home!

Limits the options for the Niners if they were thinking of a short term QB. Either Brock heals up, or they'll roll with Lance until Brock's ready. Everybody else would want a longer contract including Jimmy. They need to go big in free agency on a couple of O line guys...Fant is UFA as is centre Kelce, a big signing will help sure up that line...at least one.

• Advertisement

Looks like Brock needs full Tommy John surgery...that's at least 1 year. No 2023 for him if so. On Twitter from one source....disaster if so.

That one opinion seems to have set up Niner fans of course! Some random Dr. just giving his opinion. Coach & GM of the 'opinion' that it'll be the 6 months recovery, with the 6 months being full go. Until Brock gets that surgery it's really up in the air.

That last interview with both guys was pretty full on. Jimmy is done (he was done last season though!!) and we're rolling with Trey & Brock and probably a seasoned vet as back up QB3. John Lynch is staying. Kyle looked exhausted during that interview. During the 12 game win streak he looked good, less stressed than before, but he looked wrecked yesterday.

Post edited by myate on

Teams after facing the Niners this year 0-16. Enjoy the loss Philly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Teams having the 9ers are 0-15 the week after. Chiefs won following a bye, same reason eagles doesn’t count.

The expectation is Purdy will be back in 6 months and I don’t see any reason to doubt that.

Amazing work from the 49ers on comp picks - basically get a second draft class, with an additional 7 picks. Apparently totals to the value of the overall 5th pick in the draft.

Going into the draft with 11 picks after giving away picks for Lance and McCaffrey is huge.

Plenty of ammo to move around or make trades for vets if they wanted. I thought they didn't have room to make all their picks last year but they did (or most any).

Don't think they'll be super active next week, maybe one big swing but most likely a few starter/rotation level guys

More active than we thought yesterday I think! DL is gonna be lit this season...Bosa, Armstead, Hargraves, Jackson! Darnold one I'm ok with, we need 4 qbs on the roster, 3 active, draft another guy for practice squad...I know a lot are saying Jake Haener, which would be cool, but might not be there when we pick. If Trey Lance can't beat out Darnold, then that says enough. Purdy, providing rehab goes well, should be presumptive starter, no question...but might not be til week 2/3.

I think they pick up one or two more guys today, maybe O line or secondary. Right now they're banking on young guys on the o-line, which is risky but could pay off. Zakelj & Poe are waiting in the wings & have high potential, more so than Banks who was a 2nd rounder & played solid this past season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Looking for some advice/help. I am hoping to go to a home game in Oct/Nov once the fixtures are announced next month, have been waiting years to go and this is the year. Anyone know of the best way to secure a couple of tickets, is it Ticketmaster or another site? Any help appreciated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ticketmaster have "NFL ticket Exchange" site which is a secure way to buy and sell tickets, but they can be bought and sold above face value etc. I've used that in the past and it has worked well.

Other sites like Stubhub, seat geek etc can also work ok.

I think it is possible to buy tickets directly when single game tickets go on sale though a lot are already assigned to season ticket holders. Obviously supply and demand will kick in and the better games will be more expensive, and prime time games more expensive also.

I've waited until the night before games to buy in the past and sometimes they drop in price at that point but that's a pretty risky strategy.

Thanks for that Adrian, looking at the home fixtures I wouldn't mind seeing either the Bengals or the Cowboys but would imagine they will probably be the most sought after games. At the end of the day and depending on dates I would go to any game.

Adrian gave you good info there - obviously direct from Ticketmaster is the best route but those games will likely sell out quickly.

Once you get into resell I'd advise looking at SI Tickets. They only charge minimal baseline fees rather than the % basis that most resell sites (including I think the NFL ticket exchange). Can save something like 25-30%. It is Sports Illustrated ticket service so have that reputable backing and have used them a few times myself and had no issues. Saved me over a hundred per person for a playoff game.

Cheers Foxtrol, I will see if I have any luck in the general sale first and then try SI tickets if not.

I've bought on Ticketmaster when schedule comes out (albeit in the Chip Kelly year!!), but these days I just buy from Stub Hub/Seat Geek, easier & you get better tickets - I like to sit in the same section everytime in Levis, so matters to me, and I don't worry about small savings when I'm traveling that far to see a game. Regular season isn't too bad & if you don't care where you sit, you'll get ticketmaster ones no problem. Night games are great btw (they start just before sunset on the west coast so half & half day/night!)..playoffs obviously next level! (Picture from Cowboys divisional round).

Thanks myate, are Stub Hub/Seat Geek resellers or will they have seats on release day? I'm not too bothered where I get in the ground but if I can I will get good seats.

They're resellers, probably selling season ticket holder seats. With regular season games, as mentioned, you could wait till close to the game to get tickets & even on these sites prices will come down a bit. As soon as the schedule comes out, you'll see tickets galore on these sites for all games. With these sites, you will pay more for the better games and more again for primetime games. It's the fees on these sites that cost a tonne, which you don't have to pay with tickets that come out with ticketmaster. With ticketmaster I find its hard to get good seats right away, and impossible to get playoff tickets.

On the fees, that is why SI Tickets is so good. It takes that element out of the calculation while acting the same as the other sources

Will have to check that out next time. How they aren't just taking over the resellers market if they have small nominal fees is beyond me...SH/SG have fees of around $150 for the playoff games!

• Advertisement

Yeah - I was shocked by it. The Sports Illustrated name gave me confidence to try them and have used it for 3 games and no issues at all. It isn't like they bake in the price elsewhere, when you switch between them and the other resellers you can see the savings.

Finally get our picks started tonight. Very happy to see Aiyuk wasn't moved and hoping they don't let Trey go, especially if it is anything less than an early 2nd plus other picks.

The team goes in with no real needs, which is good as we'd be in trouble otherwise given how long we'll still have to wait. OT, Edge, S, Kicker would be nice but BPA all the way.

Didn't think they'd make all their picks last year but they proved me wrong. Surely 11 picks is too many with a stacked squad so presume there'll be some movement. Hope they dont try to package too many of their thirds to move up though, would rather a few lottery tickets when there shouldnt be too much more chance of a late 2nd or early 3rd being great than their late 3rds

That was a pretty good looking draft in terms of numbers. Never know until camp begins/pre season. There could be a few gems in there, a few that need work to get there. With no high position, I'm all for reaching for those, in the hopes of finding something. The K pick I'm good with. Gould wasn't coming back, he's still unemployed, so happy with a rookie, the best available. The Pats taking a kicker 13 picks after Niners solidified that pick & coaches reasoning (not going to be there in the 5th). No OL taken but some UDFA signed already...that Joey Fisher guy has huge upside, and he's 25, so sensible & should take to coaching. They must be pretty happy with Poe & Zakelj from last year to just take some UDFA on the Oline. Still now the weakest part of the team no doubt. There's cap room for a free agent (CMC restructure), but you know Lynch is going to go Edge!!

Definitely seen the Purdy effect with very few QB's left after the 5th round. Haener, DTR all gone earlier than thought. Probably another UDFA QB going to be added for p-squad.

Agree with all of that, I'm happy with that draft. That is two years in a row where everyone looked to try to copy the 49ers, last year all the players who had Deebo like abilities flew off the board.

The analysts rarely rate our drafts highly with the current leadership, aside from their first in 2017 where they 'stole' Foster along with taking the consensus top pick Thomas and we all know that ended up being a disaster. Since then we've continued to pivot to trusting data points for players that aren't really taken into account by analysts, like specific scheme needs, intel from college sources, internal tracking data, and interviews - which means they appear to not be great 'value'.

Feel similar about Moody, it is nearly a carbon copy of us taking Wishnowsky right ahead of the Patriots and everyone, including myself, grumbled. We got the better punter there who is on his second contract, when most of that 4th round never ended up being close to the same value. Kicker was our biggest hole so we were either paying top dollar or using a draft pick on it. When you're competing for SB I don't see how you can go with the 'pick a guy off the street' approach. Moody looks like he'll be able to get kickoffs into the endzone too which will improve our special teams significantly.

Th other guys looked to be for spots where the team felt a guy had an opportunity to make the team and went BPA. We don't need to draft trait project guys with boom or bust ranges of outcomes, instead we need and draft for good culture fits who can be at minimum solid backups quickly, do a great job on special teams, and upside to become a star is a bonus. Can see the Brown and Winters competing for starter roles during the year and being starters next year, with at least one of the TEs being in the rotation - the rest backups.

OT is like C and G last year, I trust the team that they have it covered with the guys they're developing and have signed. Fisher will be the annual UDFA hype candidate to be tracked all through camp. Really interested in how Poe looks in camp after a year of development.

Final bit of agreement is on the freed up money, feel we should have an FA player or two coming in this week.

I managed to get four tickets in Section 105 from TM just now for the Bengals game, I've never been to San Fran before so just wondering if anyone can recommend places to stay? Hope to stay for a week or so and spend another week in LA.

The last time I stayed in the city I Airbnb'd it in the Marina district (AirBnb has been clamped down on though in the city, not as much choice now). Been lots of times so dont like hotels or touristy areas there. I have stayed in Union Square before Airbnb arrived on scene, it's ok there, central anyway but in the city...I rather be near the water & Crissy Field/Presidio. The last few times I've done the playoff games, I just stayed in a hotel near the airport as I only came over for the game & one day in the city...it's easier that way. If you stay in the city, pencil in 2 hours to get to Levis if you're going by train.

I booked Airbnb approx 20mns from the Airport and was thinking about driving to Santa Clara for the game.

Purdy cleared & good to go in camp, will be 2 days on 1 day off! QB1! Battle is on for back up make no mistake between the other 3! As with Joey Bosa, Nick waiting for the new contract before showing up. I think it gets done next week just before the pads go on & it gets real.

Looks like Lance is out the door after Darnold being named QB2 and then not showing up to practice.

Really feel for him - think he'll end up being successful wherever he goes. If we can't get something in trade I say we have to keep him - our cap cant take the loss of releasing him and from history we need depth at the position.

Dont agree with the Darnold decision as QB2. Presume it is due to him being more experienced and 'safer' but it is way too soon to make that call for him, as it is regular season games where he starts to fall apart.

Looked like Lance was heading into the best situation for a QB coming out of that draft and it turned into the worst, though mostly due to injuries. The finger and leg impacted his first season and then the break last year ruined him getting the reps he needed to become the player I still think he can be. Fully understand the team sticking with Purdy given how he played but dont think he has the ceiling.

With hindsight I still stand by my opinion at the time. After trading up the right decision was Lance or Fields (the latter was my preference but would likely have similar issues as Lance with Shanahan). If you're making that investment you need to shoot for the moon. The move up was the problem, they should have stayed where they were and taken whichever QB fell. Purdy has been a saviour for them, if he turns out to be a Kirk level QB at his cost then they backed into a decent situation.

• Advertisement

He's gone now. Kinda stole a 4th from the Cowboys. Glad he's gone now because the debate for the most part can stop. Pity it didn't work, absolutely, but it didn't for all the reasons in the above comment.

As @Foxtrol said, the move to 3 was the issue. Lawrence was 1 (only guaranteed solid qb in that draft) & everyone knew the Jets wanted Wilson after the pro day (can never understand pro days but anyway!) so after that Niners were getting only the 3rd best qb at best, and it's always risky, whether Lance of Fields.

Now sort Bosa if thats possible (he may well be waiting on Chris Jones, which if so, is out of the Niners hands). And sign Robbie Gould now. Put Moody on IR & just roll with Gould (if Moody is actually injured).

Advertisement