Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

I don't get why the Govt. are saying there is no accomodation available. Just checked booking.com and airbnb and there are tonnes of rooms available in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sorry but the far left are really scrapping the barrel now for excuses. Protesters are far right, they are not from the area, they've never protested before, they are unemployed. We know a few are from the far right but that does not mean everyone out there protesting now is far right. The best I saw was the other day saying you never hear the "fash" talk about the convicted rapist Larry Murphy. How many protesters for Repeal the 8th etc gathered in Dublin and other places that were not from that area? How many of those that attended the vigils for Irish women who where recently killed held vigils for non irish women killed, how many where from that area where the vigil was held. No vigil for the poor Mongolian woman who was stabbed a few years back in Dublin. There are a lot of double standards coming from the left at the moment.

Back in 2014 there were anti Roma protests here in Waterford sparked by claims of a 12 year old being groomed. Also complaints of criminality and aggressive begging. I know some of those protesters and they are not far right, those same people had a fb page set up that was listing people who committed crimes and where they were. When I spoke out about that page because it could damage any trials I was the bad person, I was on the criminals sides etc. Some of those same people are now using the race card against those that are protesting about the refugees and lack of housing. The same people will complain about Travellers but I guess it's ok to protest or complain about some people as long as they are the same as those you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭lmao10

Some people have legitimate concerns of course and but the far right are a major presence at these protests and responsible for organising most of them and trying to use them to preach their sickening rhetoric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meanwhile media are camping out in front of a school to witness a non violent one-man protest.

Palatable bad white man narrative.

The vacuum left by non reporting of "inconvenient" incidents will be filled by something else.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I genuinely still can’t understand how someone can arrive at the airport with no passport (papers) and be let in. It’s not like they are arriving in dinghies.

There has to be a pause, there is no room, you arrive with no papers, airline fined and you get a seat straight back to start with. I know that won’t stop those coming from uk through Belfast that were on the radio this week giving out they’d no bed! It’s madness, it’s dangerous, government needs a serious rethink on its current stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't like the dehumanizing language sept 23 is using. However it raises a point.

In the USA there is not the socialized supports we have in Ireland and they are certainly not expanded as much as we have here. The ideology is consistent. Small state low welfare spending low taxation.

At first I thought they are not from the area and its just people pretending. But when you watch the video it's clear they are. So where are they going with this ideologically? I mean we have never had lower unemployment. We are already taxed highly.

I mean do they want to get rid of socialized housing or what??

Middle class ireland is just waiting for a tax break tbh lets not pretend the people protesting don't have anti social elements in the areas they claim to represent.

The idea of a socialized facist like in germany in the 30s was only possible during the time when the working class represented a sizable portion of society.

The vast majority of irish people are middle class now. You get taxed highly AND you have to put up with people like the national party?? yeah no they are not going to vote for that.

UKIP generally ran on the idea of can you ' tax the poor less.' They never pretended they were going to expand services. They may have lied and said if you stop immigration there will be billions extra for the white working class i seem to remember a figure on a bus. But i mean the amount we spend on asylum is a drop in the ocean compared to what we generally spend on social services.

Where are they going with this? Or is it just an excuse to frighten immigrants?

I mean their behaviour depicts people who just want to be able to scream abuse at foreigners. It's not as if they politely and respectfully protested is it?

Every crime committed by a migrant is extensively posted on here while the crimes by native Irish are glossed over by those same people, if that's any consolation to you.

Not true ...remember when the garda car was rammed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

People should not have the National Party as their only option on the right, we need more sane representation there.

Though on the subject of putting up with the National Party. We've had to put up with Murphy, Coppinger, etc for years...

All "far" insert side here politicians who are continually platformed by our pitiful media

• Advertisement

They are getting it.

FG and FF just said no asylum seeker will now get govt providing them with accommodation.

For those of use who are political analysts.....this comes from the John Hume strategy book ..when your opposition is doing something ...steal their idea and offer it in a more palatable way. When SF campaigned for something during the troubles he would then take it up and say hey look im giving you the same thing and i am not an extremist and not committing violence.

So FG and FF have shrewdly realized this and also ...they have now realized there is possibly more hunger for further right wing policies ..such as tax cuts and that they can get away with it.

IMO fg and ff will move in on things further to the right ...leave the left to SF ....that is what we will see in future.

Ironically it will prob mean every future govt will care less about the communities protesting now than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭jackboy

I suspect the government’s newly found far right policies and statements are very temporary. When things calm down they will revert to being pro large scale immigration, which is their natural position.

Saying there is no more accommodation when there is no more accommodation isn't far right. It's a fact.

Saying this is less extreme than advertising for people to come in multiple languages promising own door accommodation. Which this government did.

There was a story this week of a lad getting a light sentence for battering a girl. Not a peep from any of those who care so deeply about women when it comes to bashing migrants. Too busy scanning for crimes committed by migrants I guess.

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw it. He got a fine of 10k ...awful. Look im going to level with you...some people dont even believe the stuff they say ..its just justification ...they need a reason to convince you of their argument it's often a reason that is surface deep and lacking in any real perception ...

I have given up on politics. Im cynical ....i don't even vote anymore.

That was a disgrace, our judicial system is a mess and it must be disheartening as a guard. But would be pretty off topic to post in here. Unfortunately we are stuck with that scumbag.

An Irish person used the wrong pronoun and its been wall to wall media coverage.

How large and important do you think the far right are in this country?

That is the thing. I was telling people ...i mean you just reminded me.

It's only going to turn the middle class against the working class here. I hear this all the time from a lot of people (not judging you at all i can sympathize and empathize nor saying you are middle class)

Or i dunno maybe we will get the national party now in govt ...or with a seat but i doubt it.

I think when people talk about Irish culture they refuse to acknowledge irish culture is different between rural and urban between middle class and working class etc. A lot of middle class irish people would baulk at the idea of a social housing estate near their estate or at their daughter /son marrying a someone from a diff class they might not SAY as much. But it's there. There is a perception by some we have diff mindsets and values etc. It can range from subconscious bias to outright snobbery.

Funnily Varadkar used a lot of it on social media at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s valid to do so given the point of this thread. Unfortunately we can’t deport our native criminals, but we can and should immediately revoke any asylum claim of someone involved in a violent crime. We are naïve idiots not to.

• Advertisement

The best thing the media could do is actually platform the National Party and not just shout far right/deplorables at them.

If they did the vast vast vast majority of Irish people would then understand why they are so deplorable.

by the way we are legally obligated to take in 4k refugees per year last year we took 2500 roughly

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/ireland/asylum.php

there are not as many applications as the far right would tell you

Last year was 2022.....

Well 2021 was Covid and Vax passes etc, and our Minister sent out an invite last year in multiple language.

I might come across it on here, but I am not anti immigrant at all, count many as friends and understand its so important to our economy. Again, i blame policies not people.

I just feel particularly on non EU immigration and the whole asulym area, we aren't getting given the whole picture or honest answers on things. It has been until recently a one sided debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

I'd vote for the National Party. They seem the only party talking about the issue.

Good lord! lol i can't stop laughing...you will be like one of those grandparents who tells their grandkids i voted for the blueshirts hahaaha that is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

diversity has plenty of positives. As long as it’s the right balance of numbers, culture and integration.

Questioning why thousands upon thousands of young men are illegally flooding in from counties like Somalia , Algeria and Albania and being dumped all over the country with absolutely no future plans on what to do with them is not right wing.

I don’t particularly care about them , but if you did then you would also say it’s not fair on them - they’ve probably been sold a fantasy of the west as having streets paved with gold , paid a load of money / debt to people traffickers and when they get here they get dumped - can’t work , alien culture , zero money / autonomy and no women for them. I doubt they’re jumping with joy.

by not being firm and booting them out we are only encouraging this misery and profiting criminal networks. It’s totally reckless of the government to do this and they’re going to cause major major unrest. It’s like a government committing suicide and dragging the country down with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s comfortable for you to characterise you’re ideological opposites in this way ( but no progress will come from it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just seeing Eamon Ryan on the news saying he was shocked by the awful attack last night on the guys in tents this situation is going to turn very ugly with the open door policy the government is folllowing .We cannot solve the problems of the world which are terrible but enough is enough .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

This story is pretty shocking but of course we'll be told there is no link between this and the hoovering up of emergency accommodation for 'international protection' applicants, including multiple claims from safe countries.

Meanwhile, Roderic O'Gorman is able to find accommodation for 'families and single female' asylum seekers in the Lismore House Hotel.

A spokesman for O'Gorman speaks about 'the urgent need to accommodate those seeking refuge in Ireland' and then also that 'these options must be considered to prevent homelessness for the unprecedented numbers of people arriving seeking international protection."

Earlier this week we heard that Irish homelessness is at an all time high, this shows exactly where the government's priorities lie.

The best bit though is where Eamon Ryan says that 'Minister O'Gorman has done an incredible job'. If this is an incredible job, imagine what a mess would look like.

(Looks like the 'far right' have infiltrated the Lismore community too judging by the protests.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,579 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So it's a tourist hotspot but the main hotel closed in 2016.

🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That guy that threatened the 2 women shouldn't be offered anything anyway.

Not a word about that incident on any of the news channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

Telling that that's what you took from my post. Another stellar contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭trashcan

Exactly what struck me. One of the locals commenting on the news that the building wasn’t suitable for asylum seekers and was a tourist amenity. Then why has it been closed for 7 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Still no movement on the idle hotel in Dublin 4 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I doubt it, all of these social issues, are for others to deal with, not the montrose and dublin 4 types... they just virtue signal and lie about how they would have no problem living next door to them ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

massive increase in communal tent living and a woman living out of a commercial tumble dryer in Dublin...

https://www.newstalk.com/news/truly-tragic-woman-found-living-in-a-tumble-dryer-after-becoming-homeless-1432328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I belive it was bought by the US to host the new US Embassy.

Not sure when they plan to commence building works though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

I'll let you figure some of this out for yourself.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/asylum-seekers-will-get-keys-to-their-own-homes-and-will-be-able-to-work-policy-to-end-direct-provision-revealed-40133273.html

This information was tweeted out by the minister in charge of all of this in several languages including Georgian and Albanian where a huge cohort of our asylum seekers are from. These countries along with a number of others in the top ten of our where these people originate have no wars and are regarded as safe in international standards.

Deportation of non genuine claims was not mentioned in any of these news bulletins so why wouldn't huge numbers arrive here all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Has anyone here been to Lismore? It's a tiny, narrow road town with little or no amenities to accommodate a load of extra people living there. There is a bus to Dungarvan and Tallow but for things to do during the day not much except a library and community centre.

It's a tourist town with it's castle and walks, there is nothing else really to do. The Hotel has been lying idle since 2017, it was finally sold in Sept 2018, there was issues before then with licensing due to noise etc so this probably didn't help. Planning lodged in 2021 but put on hold in 2022 as the counsel wanted more info. With Covid I would think many towns and cities will be looking for hotel space for tourism.

Don't be so quick to judge the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Don't be fooled by the National Party. A party of fringe lunatics. Don't waste your vote.

They are homophobic and anti same sex marriage. They are anti-abortion. Anti-EU. And conservative looking for a "Catholic Republic". They promote hate.

They also help spark and inflame the protests outside accommodation centres housing asylum seekers which in my view are the most cowardly actions I have seen in Ireland in many years. Utterly cowardly and shameful. Shouting at asylum seekers all night - sickening stuff. Zero honour. I am all for the right to protest but do it at the Dail or organise a march or something - don't turn up as an angry mob outside hotels etc to frighten newly arrived asylum seekers and migrants. Brave alright. Yellow.

I an an outspoken critic of this shoddy government but NP are not the solution.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭minimary

But at the same time they're terrified to actually do anything.

"while around 5,000 people in other direct-provision centres either can’t or won’t leave." what other country would put up with this?

Just the fact that we're supporting people with multiple negative decisions against them. Take away support if the initial decision and appeal has been unsuccessful, no direct provision and no other payments and see how many people stick around for years of appeals.

Also if anyone wants to write a petition that a person with a deportation order should be allowed to stay, they should have to fundraise to pay for housing, healthcare and agree to provide an income for this person for at least 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,816 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't be fooled by the National Party. A party of fringe lunatics. Don't waste your vote.

They are homophobic and anti same sex marriage. They are anti-abortion. Anti-EU. And conservative looking for a "Catholic Republic". They promote hate.

They also help spark and inflame the protests outside accommodation centres housing asylum seekers which in my view are the most cowardly actions I have seen in Ireland in many years.

To which that poster would probably reply

Here's one of their worthy contributions to the multiculturalism thread

"White supremacist", white people basically invented the modern world. I bet Dublin has has had more inventors etc than the whole of Africa.... does that not tell you something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Tbh, I think a lot of National Party policies are a load of bollocks. I dont think anyone really wants a "Catholic Republic". Same with being anti abortion.

However on their main policy of looking after the Irish people they are bang on the money...

There literally is no one else speaking out against mass immigration.... FF, FG and RTE all sing from the same hymn sheet. A functioning democracy needs opposing opinions to be heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Ballsbridge on Saturday was surreal. Standing outside the huge empty Jury's Hotel and then moving to the seven story deserted office block that is the former Israeli Embassy and not a sinner in either of them. Not the only empty office blocks around there either. At a time when the government is talking about requisitioning churches to put refugees in. Monty Python level comic weirdness.

Seriuosly, just go down there and look at those big empty buildings. So strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I'd be anti same sex marriage, anti-abortion, Anti-EU and conservative myself. I wouldn't say no to a "Catholic Republic" if you're offering.

But I agree with you, the National Party are a waste of a vote and are not the solution.

To bring this back to refugee accommodation, something very interesting happened at the protest in Ballsbridge last Saturday. At the end the NP appeared, lead by Justin, and unfurled a party banner. Protestors, mostly from East Wall, moved in on them and demanded that the banner be taken down. East Wall rules were explained to them - they were welcome to support the protest as individuals but not as a party and this met with resistance from Justin.

Most interesting of all it was explained to him, in front of everyone, that by being seen to be in conflict with the protestors over this he was advertising the fact that the NP weren't central to the protest, weren't even welcome and it was showing in a very public way that they weren't involved in organising anything.

The self defeating nature of arguing with the protestors didn't get through to Justin. He continued up Landsdowne Road bannerless and calling the protestors stupid.

This conflict between the protestors and the NP outsiders has continued on Twitter and Telegram since Saturday.

NP members expect electoral success. I don't think Justin does. He seems much more comfortable with the NP as a select and private club. A right wing men's shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,579 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This conflict between the protestors and the NP outsiders has continued on Twitter and Telegram since Saturday

Could you link to some examples please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

"Their main policy of looking after the Irish people" 😂

No thanks!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
Advertisement