Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yep and we dont need agriculture too to feed the population either just rewild the place. Fooking dumbasses of the highest order

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Following assurances given by the poster One eyed Jack threadban lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Naive of me of course, but what is the point of a visa system to live and work here anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭DaithiMa

This is really starting to get messy now. On the one hand we've now got a record number of people in emergency accommodation according to this article.

On the other hand, the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission is demanding that we somehow come up with emergency accommodation for all new asylum seekers.

Quite a pickle and it'll take some serious mental gymnastics to try and argue that neither situation is linked, although you can be sure some will try.

God knows where the thousands of new Ukrainian arrivals will go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You are confusing cause and effect. You say

“depopulation always had a quite disastrous effect on the country and was nearly always accompanied by deep recession.”

However it is the other way around. Deep recessions led to depopulation.

You see depopulation as a major economic problem for Ireland but seem fine about depopulation of other countries. For example the source of our largest number of non Ukrainian asylum seekers is Georgia which has seen a population decrease of over a million in the last 15 years.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But you're speaking as if to try and slow down or even the stop the population from growing is a perfectly normal and natural thing for any government to do. Most countries who have strict visa systems in place such as the US and Australia are not trying to 'control' the population size but simply the type of migrant worker entering the country. Both countries have higher net immigration than Ireland, even with quite a strict visa system, a point that is completely lost on the Ireland is full guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭DaithiMa

The reality is that asylum seekers are now being put on the streets with food vouchers.

Population growth is great but can you not see that we simply don't have accommodation at the moment. Like what is it going to take for the penny to drop. Surely you can see that it is utter madness continually increasing the population with nowhere for people (Irish, Asylum Seekers and Ukrainian refugees) to live.

Unless something is done to quell the numbers then the accommodation situation is going to get worse and worse, especially if hotels revert to tourism. This is an extraordinary crisis that needs extraordinary measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Juran

Exactly.

I have a cost saving proposal for the state ... just scrap passport control at our airports and ports. Save millions on employees personnel, infrastructure, IT systems, etc. Whats the point of passport control/immigration check when anyone who rocks up without a passport is admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ab you can't do that. It would financially ruin the asylum industry and NGO sectors of the economy.

No it's much better that we go around in costly legal circles where almost everyone gets to stay and get told how awful we are by our resident professional campaigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

how are there people on the streets? youre trying to tell me the hundreds of thousands of bleeding hearts, saying no amount of immigration is enough, havent throw their doors wide open to these people ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

In a normal democratic system you would have a politician any politician pointing this out in the national parliament but here, they're all avoiding it. They're silent.

What's wrong with them? Why can they argue and spend time hanging each other out over trivial stuff like booking hotels for their conferences or not paying for posters to be hung. Who cares?

But we do have determined NGOs to quote every bit of literature and embellish the material to force a response. Is it so wrong to ask any policitian to quote in the dail that piece of EU law provided above? I mean it seems pretty important to me to bring it into the national conversation.

If the **** hits the fan economically, basically if the corporation tax magic money tree of FFG starts drying up, will be fun and games then, trying to fund all of this "Money no object" ideology of theirs...

this is the biggest issue with irish politics! any centreist, would be deemed far right by the judge jury and executioner, the irish media... their is literally no difference between any of them, adopt the holier than thou position. Total cowards....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We are desperately in need of a vaguely conservative media outlet here which has an effective footprint, the existing mainstream media are completely and utterly captured by NGO interests, not that the likes of RTE were difficult to capture

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IHREC are not going to win many friends taking this attitude

The Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission is calling for the Government to reverse its policy of not offering State-provided accommodation to new asylum seekers.

This makes it sound like the government woke up one morning and adopted this 'policy' in a fit of stinginess instead of just running out of places to put new arrivals...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So they found a roof for the 55 homeless asylum seekers. Can kicked down the road until ... Prob Tuesday when there is 50 more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

what is laughable is that the vast majority of "protestors" and also of the far right scum leading the protestors are unemployed, live free off the state (taxpayer) and probably never contributed once cent in employment taxes and many will have their own criminal records.

Now we see a group attack rough sleepers in Ashtown. the same rough sleepers that they mimic when protesting and using tents.

What a phenomenally stupid group of people - and anyone associated are equally as stupid and gullible and rather sad excuses for human beings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"the vast majority of "protestors" and also of the far right scum leading the protestors are unemployed"

So not much different to a leftist alphabet soup of political parties protest then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The working class unemployed scum as you refer to them have always gravitated to the left

this time it seems to be very different

its not working out the way you were taught

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

This solidarity with the working class from most lefties has always been a larp. Beautifully illustrated in the last few days. They couldn't be more out or touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

I don't get why the Govt. are saying there is no accomodation available. Just checked booking.com and airbnb and there are tonnes of rooms available in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sorry but the far left are really scrapping the barrel now for excuses. Protesters are far right, they are not from the area, they've never protested before, they are unemployed. We know a few are from the far right but that does not mean everyone out there protesting now is far right. The best I saw was the other day saying you never hear the "fash" talk about the convicted rapist Larry Murphy. How many protesters for Repeal the 8th etc gathered in Dublin and other places that were not from that area? How many of those that attended the vigils for Irish women who where recently killed held vigils for non irish women killed, how many where from that area where the vigil was held. No vigil for the poor Mongolian woman who was stabbed a few years back in Dublin. There are a lot of double standards coming from the left at the moment.

Back in 2014 there were anti Roma protests here in Waterford sparked by claims of a 12 year old being groomed. Also complaints of criminality and aggressive begging. I know some of those protesters and they are not far right, those same people had a fb page set up that was listing people who committed crimes and where they were. When I spoke out about that page because it could damage any trials I was the bad person, I was on the criminals sides etc. Some of those same people are now using the race card against those that are protesting about the refugees and lack of housing. The same people will complain about Travellers but I guess it's ok to protest or complain about some people as long as they are the same as those you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭lmao10

Some people have legitimate concerns of course and but the far right are a major presence at these protests and responsible for organising most of them and trying to use them to preach their sickening rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meanwhile media are camping out in front of a school to witness a non violent one-man protest.

Palatable bad white man narrative.

The vacuum left by non reporting of "inconvenient" incidents will be filled by something else.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I genuinely still can’t understand how someone can arrive at the airport with no passport (papers) and be let in. It’s not like they are arriving in dinghies.

There has to be a pause, there is no room, you arrive with no papers, airline fined and you get a seat straight back to start with. I know that won’t stop those coming from uk through Belfast that were on the radio this week giving out they’d no bed! It’s madness, it’s dangerous, government needs a serious rethink on its current stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't like the dehumanizing language sept 23 is using. However it raises a point.

In the USA there is not the socialized supports we have in Ireland and they are certainly not expanded as much as we have here. The ideology is consistent. Small state low welfare spending low taxation.

At first I thought they are not from the area and its just people pretending. But when you watch the video it's clear they are. So where are they going with this ideologically? I mean we have never had lower unemployment. We are already taxed highly.

I mean do they want to get rid of socialized housing or what??

Middle class ireland is just waiting for a tax break tbh lets not pretend the people protesting don't have anti social elements in the areas they claim to represent.

The idea of a socialized facist like in germany in the 30s was only possible during the time when the working class represented a sizable portion of society.

The vast majority of irish people are middle class now. You get taxed highly AND you have to put up with people like the national party?? yeah no they are not going to vote for that.

UKIP generally ran on the idea of can you ' tax the poor less.' They never pretended they were going to expand services. They may have lied and said if you stop immigration there will be billions extra for the white working class i seem to remember a figure on a bus. But i mean the amount we spend on asylum is a drop in the ocean compared to what we generally spend on social services.

Where are they going with this? Or is it just an excuse to frighten immigrants?

I mean their behaviour depicts people who just want to be able to scream abuse at foreigners. It's not as if they politely and respectfully protested is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭lmao10

Every crime committed by a migrant is extensively posted on here while the crimes by native Irish are glossed over by those same people, if that's any consolation to you.

Not true ...remember when the garda car was rammed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

People should not have the National Party as their only option on the right, we need more sane representation there.

Though on the subject of putting up with the National Party. We've had to put up with Murphy, Coppinger, etc for years...

All "far" insert side here politicians who are continually platformed by our pitiful media

• Advertisement

They are getting it.

FG and FF just said no asylum seeker will now get govt providing them with accommodation.

For those of use who are political analysts.....this comes from the John Hume strategy book ..when your opposition is doing something ...steal their idea and offer it in a more palatable way. When SF campaigned for something during the troubles he would then take it up and say hey look im giving you the same thing and i am not an extremist and not committing violence.

So FG and FF have shrewdly realized this and also ...they have now realized there is possibly more hunger for further right wing policies ..such as tax cuts and that they can get away with it.

IMO fg and ff will move in on things further to the right ...leave the left to SF ....that is what we will see in future.

Ironically it will prob mean every future govt will care less about the communities protesting now than ever.

Advertisement