Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

I agree not getting the credit we deserve and you have to remember Leinster had to work hard going through the phases with good handling in wet conditions and strong carrying to get those trys, victims of are own success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cardiff are an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Connors immediately showing his class since coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shehal

Peyper is just showing Cardiff pity now with some of these penalties.

How many times is it now that we underestimate a Leinster scratch team and then they go out and do this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Deegan is having one of his best seasons performance wise. He picked up an injury at the worst time though. If he were fit over the last few months I think he might have made the Six Nations squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭LostArt

The double is on

Just in from the game.

Cardiff were dire. I've seen better handling from schoolboy teams, they coughed up possession for the first 50 minutes and often under little pressure.

Their props were out on their feet after 25 minutes and looked to have very poor conditioning. We should have had a scrum penalty on 32 minutes because they couldn't hold up the scrum but Peyper had entered his sympathetic phase at that stage - culminating in their second try which had a knock in the build up and a very questionable penalty against Leinster.

Thought Luke McGrath stood out as did Deegan. Everyone else simply out worked their counterparts and Leinster had much more pace and cohesion in attack.

Cardiff really showed very little interest though, as lethargic a performance as you will see at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Acknowledging that Cardiff were atrocious, that was still very satisfying.

All the young guys seemed perfectly in tune with the patterns and system, which is a tribute to the coaching I think.

Great to see Connors back and putting himself about so much.

Harry Byrne had a very good match, which he really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah Connors down for 16 tackles on the Urc site, nice cameo alright

• Advertisement

They had a look of a team right from the start trying to avoid a big beating rather than have a go and try win the game. Got exactly what they deserved imo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Really good showing from a lot of young players, despite Cardiff being dire.

Agree that Deegan and McGrath were excellent, but I was really happy with Harry Byrne. Some lovely kicking, great flat passing and making good calls when to push the play and put in some pace.

Thought the two centres were good. Turner has a real spark about him, and Brownlee looked accurate and physical in defence.

Brian Deeny and Scott Penny got through a lot of work too, and the scrum and maul defence were good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Moloney hasn't been skipping leg day

Hahahahah; this is a new song they’ve been running out all of this season to.

Its called Split and is by Tiesto and the Chainsmokers, and was apparently selected by a vote of the players; which really underlined to me how I’m older than 99.9% of the players now😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Wait until you’re older than most of the coaching staff. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"Split" by "Tiesto and the Chainsmokers"  sounds like the name of a Eurovision song from Moldova from 2004. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

One of those kicks got me right in the face on the terrace. It was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Was not expecting that. Brilliant effort. I don't think McKee missed a dart? He was quite good. Very good around the field. Penny and Ruddock were outstanding. Deegan the pick of the litter.

How good was Brownlee? Solid outing from the lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dragons up next. The 2nd to last home match. Maybe Jenkins is back. That'd be a great boost.

So we're going well with points and we are out in front. Ulster helped out on Friday. We probably won't field a 1st team for the next 3 matches. Some lads should be returning. I'd have like to see Frawley get some time at out half. If he gets back soon, maybe he gets into the match v Stormers?

Good shout out by HB. Looked sharp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Loved McKee's footwork. Brownlee had great involvement, exciting prospect. Tuner continues to impress.

The back row felt a bit like cheating, those three are well above this level.

Byrne had two perfect kicks and one out on the full. Maybe three solid touchfinders would be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Have to say, considering the team we put out, that was one of the most satisfying performances in a long time. Before kick off I’d have taken a win of any kind. To dominate the game like that and bonus point them, was phenomenal.

the value of having players like Rhys and Luke really showed but so many of the young lads stepped up seamlessly. Brownlee and McKee particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And the one on the full caught me right on the jaw. The fecker! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

They are absolute runaway favourites. I don’t see how they can lose now barring freak failure to show up and some other chance incidences like red cards in knockout games. Even then I think they’d beat almost every team with 14 men for 60 mins. Slow and steady will do it. They have nothing to do other than turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

Well do you see any other outcome? You are favourites. Runaway favourites with an unbeaten record to play for in both competitions which has never been done before.

If Leinster don't forcibly take control of a medium sized country the season will be a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Great performance from Leinster last night considering the lineup ……is there an argument to say that Leinster’s 2nd String are one of best teams in Europe at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The context of the performance is that Cardiff were abjectly poor. So I would take that into account.

That was our third string team. We were missing 29 players, who nearly all would be ahead of those that played last night.

On another note, our tap and goes this season are a work of genius. That is Goodman I presume. We have now used 7 different moves to score from.

• Advertisement

Certainly would be a competitive team - but Cardiff really were below the sum of their parts last night so I wouldn't be drawing conclusions. Dai Young has a team that are equal parts frustrated and apathetic and I suspect it's the apathetic half that are creating the frustration for the rest. The total lack of urgency across their pack was shocking and unacceptable for paid professionals.

Advertisement