Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I like these matches too. Excited to see the potential of the future lads. In a way, it's like watching the passing of a torch. Big, big chance for Max O'Reilly who's a year 3 academy player. His last performance wasn't good. Then there's Turner, he's been great. I don't know what to expect from Brownlee?

Having Luke, Deegan and Connors is a plus. Molony as usual, always there when needed. I think Deeny will go well as he looks to have the tools. I rated him at u20.

Not very confident. Any kind of points would be ok.

Solid team, I think they'll do fine until they meet a bigger pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nope, Leinster still runaway favourites. Hmmm.

Lol! Enjoy this patch of great rugby. It's been so good for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Serbian

We generally win at home, but this team looks particularly callow to me, so I wouldn't be confident of a result. We've won 43 from 49 games in the RDS over the past 5 years. The losses where we should have won probably total two games — the game vs the Bulls last season and when we went with a strong team at home vs Glasgow in April 2019. The remaining four games were from similar second and third string teams (vs Connacht, Ospreys, Munster and Ulster).

It is telling that Glasgow are one of the 6 teams that have beaten us at home in the past 5 years, and one of two that faced a good Leinster squad, so I would be at least a little bit worried about this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is telling that Glasgow are one of the 6 teams that have beaten us at home in the past 5 years, and one of two that faced a good Leinster squad, so I would be at least a little bit worried about this one.

Why ?

We're playing Cardiff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jenkins hopes to be back within the next few weeks.

Jenkins really has been a catalyst for us. He had an awful injury depleted time with Munster. Fingers crossed he's back soon

Very nervous about today's match. Ulster did us a massive favor. Let's hope we get something today.

Looking forward to seeing what Max O can do. Brownlee too. Big task for HB. He's getting a good run out these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I can't make it in today so if anyone want 2 tickets for Grandstand PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

PM sent 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Two tickets available if anyone wants them. Grandstand also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Serbian

🤦‍♂️ no idea why I thought it was Glasgow

A Leinster win would see us go 15 points ahead of Stormers and 17 ahead of Ulster albeit both would have a game in hand. Would give Leinster a great opportunity to rest and rotate out even more players before the South African tour and have them ready for the Ulster game. We also have the Stormers at the RDS in March. A victory could all but guarantee top spot as well.

Today's squad isn't the strongest, but there's a huge incentive to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Solid start

That's another tap and go trick play try. Lovely reverse pass from McGrath to Deegan.

Scrum and maul defence very solid so far, young backs guilty of some inaccuracy.

Brian Deeny and Scott Penny very busy so far.

Deegan has been quality in the opening 20 minutes. Hard carries, great footwork and offloading.

Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That was a thing of beauty.

That's the most intricate tap and go try we've seen yet. Lovely there were four passes in the space of about three seconds. Loop plays dummy lines and inside passes.

Wasn't expecting this TBH

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Cardiff are very poor so far.

They've barely had the ball and the ball they've had they've done nothing with it.

Agree with this, but that little interjection from Darren Cave on RTE really highlights to me the absurd standards Leinster are held to versus the other Irish sides.

“nothing special” from a virtual Leinster u19 side who are 19-0 up after 30 odd mins.

That was easily Harry Byrne's best 40 minutes since his return from injury. Two lovely kicks from hand and a nice break. The standard if opposition isn't great, but it's still encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Leinster running onto the pitch accompanied by what sounds like a Eurovision song from Moldova from 2004?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Entire Backrow is playing a blinder so far and damn brilliant offload and a bull carry from Turner. Cardiff are going to be wrecked fitness wise constantly going backwards with desperate defending.

I agree not getting the credit we deserve and you have to remember Leinster had to work hard going through the phases with good handling in wet conditions and strong carrying to get those trys, victims of are own success.

Cardiff are an embarrassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Connors immediately showing his class since coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Peyper is just showing Cardiff pity now with some of these penalties.

How many times is it now that we underestimate a Leinster scratch team and then they go out and do this...

• Advertisement

Deegan is having one of his best seasons performance wise. He picked up an injury at the worst time though. If he were fit over the last few months I think he might have made the Six Nations squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

The double is on

Just in from the game.

Cardiff were dire. I've seen better handling from schoolboy teams, they coughed up possession for the first 50 minutes and often under little pressure.

Their props were out on their feet after 25 minutes and looked to have very poor conditioning. We should have had a scrum penalty on 32 minutes because they couldn't hold up the scrum but Peyper had entered his sympathetic phase at that stage - culminating in their second try which had a knock in the build up and a very questionable penalty against Leinster.

Thought Luke McGrath stood out as did Deegan. Everyone else simply out worked their counterparts and Leinster had much more pace and cohesion in attack.

Cardiff really showed very little interest though, as lethargic a performance as you will see at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Acknowledging that Cardiff were atrocious, that was still very satisfying.

All the young guys seemed perfectly in tune with the patterns and system, which is a tribute to the coaching I think.

Great to see Connors back and putting himself about so much.

Harry Byrne had a very good match, which he really needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah Connors down for 16 tackles on the Urc site, nice cameo alright

• Advertisement

They had a look of a team right from the start trying to avoid a big beating rather than have a go and try win the game. Got exactly what they deserved imo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Really good showing from a lot of young players, despite Cardiff being dire.

Agree that Deegan and McGrath were excellent, but I was really happy with Harry Byrne. Some lovely kicking, great flat passing and making good calls when to push the play and put in some pace.

Thought the two centres were good. Turner has a real spark about him, and Brownlee looked accurate and physical in defence.

Brian Deeny and Scott Penny got through a lot of work too, and the scrum and maul defence were good too.

Moloney hasn't been skipping leg day

Hahahahah; this is a new song they’ve been running out all of this season to.

Its called Split and is by Tiesto and the Chainsmokers, and was apparently selected by a vote of the players; which really underlined to me how I’m older than 99.9% of the players now😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Wait until you’re older than most of the coaching staff. 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"Split" by "Tiesto and the Chainsmokers"  sounds like the name of a Eurovision song from Moldova from 2004. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

One of those kicks got me right in the face on the terrace. It was quality.

Was not expecting that. Brilliant effort. I don't think McKee missed a dart? He was quite good. Very good around the field. Penny and Ruddock were outstanding. Deegan the pick of the litter.

How good was Brownlee? Solid outing from the lad!

Dragons up next. The 2nd to last home match. Maybe Jenkins is back. That'd be a great boost.

So we're going well with points and we are out in front. Ulster helped out on Friday. We probably won't field a 1st team for the next 3 matches. Some lads should be returning. I'd have like to see Frawley get some time at out half. If he gets back soon, maybe he gets into the match v Stormers?

Good shout out by HB. Looked sharp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Loved McKee's footwork. Brownlee had great involvement, exciting prospect. Tuner continues to impress.

The back row felt a bit like cheating, those three are well above this level.

Byrne had two perfect kicks and one out on the full. Maybe three solid touchfinders would be better?

• Advertisement
Advertisement