Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There is a bomb truck variant of the A10 being tested for the Army that can carry 16 Small diameter bombs at a time

I know,but thats part of the integration and testing to SDB i guess

And SDB needs altitude to be dropped,and i would rather sit in an f16 doing 2000 km/h when doing it then in a A10 doing 600 km/h

Thats more for helicopters i would say,a10 with its 600 km/h wouldnt stand much chance against a russian su27/35

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

F16 v A10

I say why not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

Sorry, but that is just ridiculously wrong. The A-10 doesn't have enough thrust to retain energy in a dog fight, its avionics are limited, the amount of air-to-air missiles it can carry is limited and, most crucially, it lacks radar. Sure, the aircraft is popular with certain crowds due to its absolutely massive cannon, but it is at its heart an air-to-ground platform. Using it for air-to-air is like trying to shave yourself with a katana: Sure, you can probably make it work but the final result is likely not going to be pretty!

That radar, and the AIM-120 AMRAAM, are the key part here. This combination would allow F-16s on patrol over, or just behind the frontlines to target Russian helicopters and ground attack aircraft while still on approach to the combat area, denying air superiority. And that's before we get into things like data link capability, using one F-16 to illuminate radar targets for an entire flight, or even squadrons and other such capabilities, even in relatively early model F-16s give it much more versatility. Additionally, the aircraft could equally easily be used to intercept the regular cruise missile attacks against Ukrainian cities, while also being plenty powerful in case the Russian Air Force actually comes out in force. The A-10 has none of that capability, and from m understanding it is that capability which Ukraine needs most at the moment.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Must say I'm enjoying Solovyov's on air nervous breakdown these last few days 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Where does it say that EU Public Administration costs are a seperate entity? The total spend in that area was €10.9 billion across the entire EU for 2021, €5.6b of that was spent toward the running of the EU quarter in Brussels and is included in Belgium's 2021 expenditure figure of €9.6b. If you remove that €5.6b, Belgium becomes a net contributor.

You can go back as far as you like and see that the EU Public Administration expenditure for Belgium far exceeds that of other countries, but that expenditure goes toward an EU institution that all EU members use. It isn't a fair representation of Belgiums EU contribution to describe them as "takers", because it isn't the true reality.

If you download the excel file, you can see the breakdown and that EU Public Administration costs are not seperate, but included in member state expenditure.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have read 'Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War by Robert Coram' so I am rather biased and deeply disdainful of the idea of 'multirole', so I don't see it as a positive characteristic. I can't recommend the book highly enough, it completely turned my thoughts about the USAF and it's planes on their head.

I suspect Col John Boyd may have had one of the highest IQs of anyone who ever served in the USAF. Unfortunately he was too good for it. Most people have never heard of him.

Back to my theme of let Ukraine decide: If it were up to me, the US would provide a list of realistic options - sort of the Lend Lease Catalogue with a couple of additions; give Ukraine a nominal budget, and let them pick and choose.

'Hmmm, 5 A-10s or one F-16, Valery, what do you think...?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭jmreire

He's rotten to the core literally. Running to his arch enemy's in the west, whom his propaganda machine is spewing absolute bile against. Talk about hypocrisy, same as all his oligarchs. They cannot live in the Russia they themselves have destroyed. He should be sent back home for treatment. And meanwhile, they should hack Russian TV ( especially Solovyov and Margarita Simonyan Muppeteers channels) and publicly announce what's happening....Unlikely I know, would be great.

• Advertisement

If i was Ukraine,my personal opinion,I would have gone for swedish saab gripens,multirole,cheap ,easy to maintain and operate.

But i guess f16 comes a good second,because f16 are more available since Ukraine needs them fast and i believe they have allready started training on them.

'Yesterday took place a fundamental turn in world history - I realised we are actually, totaly fuc​ked'

Old school dogfights happens seldom these days with better beyond visual range missiles,like meteor and aim120,datalinks,and AESA radars.

And speed is the key to survival in a dogfight,something a10 doesnt have,and alot have changed aince 1988

Nope, they cost more than an F-35. The strike Eagle is only about $2.2m more expensive than the Grippen. https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/27553-Top-10-most-expensive-fighter-jets-in-2021

I'm done, it's getting too OT, back to reality of no western jets for Ukraine yet, and Czechia's lovely Mig-29 gift.

Yes to buy,but not operate,anyway lets hope it goes in Ukraines favor regardless what they get

You don't have to agree but the A10 can be equipped for multiple roles,yes it a primarily a CAS Aircraft but thanks to a series of upgrade it can do several roles ,we were told it can't carry stand off weapons but yes it can carry stand off weapons due to being equipped with a sniper pod ,and yes it carries some air 2 air weapons,

People have a bad habit of jumping in on a Post saying no,no ,no

In this case it can ,

Su30 family at low attitude I reckon an A10 could hold its own low and slow ,

We've seen the Russian aircraft easily get shot down in low speed air 2 air in Ukraine,

It's all down to training and pilots and the abilities of the aircraft, the Americans are years ahead of anyone when it comes to aerial combat and aerial combat training

First Abrams Lost in bakhmut!!!!

Notice the well known tourist hotspot the Bakhmut desert in the back round

• Registered Users Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

F-16s are the only option.

They are simple and plentiful and relatively cheap and easy to train on and have lots of spares and are capable multi-role planes.

They will deal with tank formations just as well as patrolling for and destroying heavier Russian aircraft, such as airborne radar, tankers, medium bombers etc.

They aren't great for dogfighting, but its not like Russia has fleets of serviceable air-superiority fighters and pilots to fly them, so it won't be a big issue.

The US has hundreds, maybe thousands of F-16s in sterile storage in the desert and attached to Air National Guard Units all over America. Time to start shipping them to Germany and Poland for training and forward deployment in Ukraine.

Maybe paint a few Swastikas on the tails just to give Solovyov an actual stroke.

Speaking of Czechia and gifts...

Retired NATO general Petr Pavel wins the presidential election in the Czech Republic

After processing 33% of the ballots, Pavel, ex-chairman of the NATO Military Committee, received 54.96% of the votes. His competitor, ex-prime minister, billionaire Andriy Babish – 45.03%. Since the beginning of the Russian invasion, Pavel has expressed unwavering support for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

There's a difference between reflexively rejecting an idea because you just don't like it and shooting it down because it is completely unrealistic. There is not enough thrust in the entire western world to make the A-10 into a dogfighter, leaving aside its complete lack of radar and BVR capability that I mentioned in my previous post. As for the idea of an Su-30 or similar aircraft engaging an A-10 at low level, that's just wishful thinking. Any Flanker pilot will attack from a position of advantage, which would be from higher altitude and farther away, using their own radar and long range missiles to take out an A-10 before it can ever become a threat. And ANY Flanker family aircraft can easily out-climb, outmanoeuvre and out-range an A-10. Air to air is what the Flankers were designed for, even in a fur ball, they are far more likely to take out a ground-attack aircraft like the A-10 than vice versa. Can an A-10 shoot down a Flanker? possibly, but it is highly unlikely and depends on the Flanker pilot making every mistake in the book, in which case they deserve to be shot down for their sheer stupidity alone. Banking on an opponent's prolonged ineptitude has never been a good strategic choice, as the nature of combat tends to weed out idiots rather quickly.

If you want to provide Ukraine with a low-level deep strike capability, a Tornado would be a much better choice, if you can scratch together enough Luftwaffe aircraft that haven't worn out their airframes and aren't needed for the nuclear sharing role. It's got a longer range, is much faster at low level, has a terrain following radar to take some of the strain of the pilot, and has enhanced targeting capabilities compared to the A-10. The Warthog is good at its intended role, battlefield close air support, and it can deliver a world of pain in that role still. But it is very much a one-trick pony and doesn't deliver the capabilities that Ukraine needs at the moment. Long range air to air and deep strike capabilities are needed to really hurt the Russian forces.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

'They aren't great for dogfighting' Well, it looks like you do learn something new every day./s

Ukraine has started preparing airfield infrastructure for F-16 fighters, — Air Force

Well that's definitely optimism in action. I wonder if they know something we don't? Here's hoping they do.

Wow thats 1 Abrams and 4 Bradleys allready,i see Putin have mobilized his troll army too

Like i mentioned before,dogfights happens seldom with AESA radars,datalinks and beyond visual range missiles these day.

But f16 makes up for it using helmet mounted display,for better situational awareness,and high off boresight missiles like aim 9x if they should end up in one

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭junkyarddog

solovyov ranting,wearing his army green with his Nazi Z symbol too.

You really couldn't make this sh1t up!

The Orcs seem to have a different definition of 'Nazi', which has lead to misunderstanding. To them it appears to have been corrupted and generalised to mean anyone 'opposed to our expansionist aims and the violence we engage in to achieve them'. I'm not even sure it's not just a synonym for 'enemy', now. They have comprehensively perverted and denatured the word.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't get the dogfight talk. One of the points, in the podcast, is that the Russian airforce is very wary of flying over Ukraine.

@Larbre34 They aren't great for dogfighting, but its not like Russia has fleets of serviceable air-superiority fighters and pilots to fly them, so it won't be a big issue.

They aren't great for dogfighting,it's was primarily designed to be a dogfighter,it fast, highly menuverable,and highly unstable,

Since when are they not great dog fighters

From what we seen of Russian aircraft over ukraine they haven't been exactly lighting up the skies with their skills in aerial combat.

For the last few years people have been telling anyone who will listen that Russian aircraft are superior because they have a cobra menuver button and trust vectoring so they can hit the breaks and the other aircraft will over shoot ala top gun 1986 and get the kill .

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Given their superior garmin & gaffer tape navigation they probably can't find Ukraine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement