Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

the user specifically mentioned that they had activated their smart tariff already - and so Day/Night meters are not available to them. They asked for the best Smart Meter plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

That's actually not a bad tariff. Currently on a 24hr tariff of 39c per kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm considering it myself I'm also on the BG renewal rate of 39.5c, I'm still in the cooling off period so shouldn't be charged for leaving. It would mean charging the car more often to get the best value from that 2-4am window but that wouldn't be a major hassle. It would be great in the summer for getting a cylinder of hot water instead of turning on the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'm thinking with the exact same logic. Solar will heat water during the day, 2hr boost with Eddi on cheap rate + car topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, but s/he also asked specifically about switching back to a day night meter. As far as I'm aware there's nothing preventing you going from MCC12/16 to MCC02. Just can't go back to MCC01. But you're right, it complicates things. When I had my smart meter removed I was still on MCC01

• Advertisement

There's conflicting info here, everyone says you can change an unactivated smart meter for a day night meter, which, with almost all providers is proving to be extremely difficult, today, not 6 months ago. Everything seems to have changed in the last few weeks. I don't know if anyone who activated their smart meter managed to get it changed for a day night one. That seems to be a definite no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

No, you can't go from MCC12/16 to MCC02. Once you're in the Smart MCCs (12 or 16), you can't move out of them while you have the Smart Meter in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Liam2021

You can change your meter from a smart meter to a day night meter so long as you have not activated the smart meter.

Key word is while you have the smart meter in place. MCC02 would necessitate a meter change. And that's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Hi,

I have read through the previous couple of pages and am more confused now I think than when I started (btw it's not difficult to confuse me🙄).

I am currently with Bord Gais on 24 hour meter and contract will expire early Feb. I have no solar or PV and don't intend to have any time in the near future. Single person house and nobody home 9am - 7pm and away for 4 nights a week with work. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the cost of solar/PV is justified in my case.

I will soon (I hope) be the owner of a new electric car (Tesla MY) and will be having a home charger installed.

Am I correct in thinking Energia day and night meter/rate is best for me? i have always been reluctant to switch to Energia after a terrible experience with them about 15 years ago - I was overcharged to the tune of about €1,200 and had a job to get it repaid. however, I am sure things have moved on since then and they are (hopefully) more efficient now as they seem to have grown market share.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭snor

I definitely think a night rate would suit you. EVs are v big electricity users so makes sense - esp as your day usage is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Update, they've amended my tariff and will refund the overcharging, and charge at the right rates (0.3380c/0.0973c) from here on.

What type of meter is it? Is it an unactivated smart meter or the old type 24hr meter? Unfortunately like myself you're with the worst provider to get you a D/N meter. You could always ring them saying you're getting a new car and insist you want a D/N meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I will soon (I hope) be the owner of a new electric car (Tesla MY) and will be having a home charger installed.

Am I correct in thinking Energia day and night meter/rate is best for me?

All depends on how much home charging you do.

e.g. Do you have access to work charging? Is it a long or short commute? What other driving do you do.

If you are doing, say, 15k km's per year and charging all of that at home then, yes, a day/night rate would be the way to go.

Its the old regular/24 hour meter but I will be in a position to switch providers. My contract with BG expires early Feb.

Most of my charging will be at home. My driving can consist of a lot of shorter journeys (max commute for work is usually 50km each way) with some longer trips. Average about 25-30k km's per year

Average about 25-30k km's per year

No brainer then to be on day/night tariff. You will save thousands.

It looks like energia are the best for 9 hours night rate, their day rate is scaldy enough but that won't seem to affect you that much. Getting the meter is going to be your biggest hurdle. Have BG rang you with a retention offer?

Short, smart answer is..... "the cheapest"! 🤣

Im with Energia and was lucky enough to get the fixed rate (27.43/7.90) but the same rates are not available today so you need to go to bonkers.ie or the like and pick the cheapest available today. The price comparison sites will give you the latest data without forcing you to look at every provider site.

Energia and SSE are usually the cheapest for me but I haven't looked since last Sept.... alot has changed since then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Most people don't need to be charging all the way through a 9 hour night rate window. For some, the 2/3 hour window provided on Smart Plans is sufficient and avoids the hassle of swapping out the meter and the cost of getting it put back in at some stage in the future. Bord Gais have an EV plan that provides a 3 hour window for charging overnight. For an MY, that's probably 120km per night you can get in. (2nd price shown below is 15% discount)

Day units (8am to 11pm)48.03 40.82 cent per kWh

Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 66.97 56.92 cent per kWh

Night units (11pm to 8am)36.22 30.79 cent per kWh

EV units (2am to 5am)12.24 10.40 cent per kWh

For some, the 2/3 hour window provided on Smart Plans is sufficient

CuriosityKilledtheCat is doing a 100km commute though. They would have to plugin alot more times to make up for that (probably every night). They are doing 25k km's per year.... I think that is more than sufficient grounds for a day/night meter and get access to the full 9hrs and the much cheaper tariffs.

avoids the hassle of swapping out the meter and the cost of getting it put back in at some stage in the future.

Its hassle worth taking based on the current smart tariffs that are available. The day rates you've shown are terrible.

When ESBn decide at a later date that you have to have a smart meter, it will be at their cost. They cant force you to pay for that swap. The only time you would have to pay for it is if you asked for it to be changed a second time. The first change is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

The Electric Ireland Night Boost smart meter plan is better IMO.

No peak 5-7pm rate, day rate is reasonable at the moment. 20c and 12c for 2 hrs off peak. Standing charge is also €50 less.

I had a look at the Electric Ireland rates alright and they look best at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the advice🙏

Yes agree, the energia day night rate is the only real tariff anyone on an EV should have IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has some advice as ye are all very knowledgeable! EV being delivered in a few weeks. Our current tariff is Bord Gais Rural 24h- around 44c per unit. EV will be doing about 80km four days a week. No solar panels.

While night rate might make sense on paper, I'd be a bit worried about it as our bulk of energy is used during the day. Someone works from home & there's a baby and childminders in the house daily also. I'm wondering would we be shooting ourselves in the foot getting a night rate, and getting stuck with a larger day rate.

The simple answer is measure it.

Every house is different so you can’t be sure until you get figures for your house a then you’ll know.

Get a CT clamp or take a few readings of your meter to see what your day/night figures are and then you can calculate what works for you.

The EI smart meter night boost might suit you, 43c day, 22c night and 2 to 4am 12c, no dreaded 5to7 penal peak rate to screw you. I'm strongly considering it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Is this plan only for new customers, currently with EI but out of contract and was advised this was not a plan for existing customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭John arse

Energia ev day/night is 47.77c day-13.75c night at the moment.

Post edited by John arse on

Advertisement