Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No its not dont be absurd.

Whats needed are apartments - mid rise apartments, 2 and 3bed apartments with enough space you could actually raise a family in. The space is there in the cities, the infrastructure is there too - the NIMBYism unfortunately, is also there. And for some perverse reason, even with land costs, its more profitable to make semi Ds than apartments on well-located sites.

That is another issue that needs addressed, how to make build prices cheaper for apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Never going to happen though is it. You would think people would realize that by now. How long have they been sayiong the same thing. 10 years? More? Start fresh and build a new city. Put as many apartments as you like and as tall as you like in it.

The problem with those kinds of figure is that it really depends on the price of property.

For example detached houses are far more sought after than semis or terraced or apartments, so will attract more buyers. Then you have the different price brackets too. Some will attract a lot more competition than others.

I believe its very hard to pin down the property market with one all encompassing figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Not to ask too an intrusive a question but at what level are the council buying houses at? 300k? 400k?

• Advertisement

This is a 2 bed apartment and the council are bidding slightly less than 300k at the minute. EA reckons they will go well over that. He said he is selling a 1 bed apartment in Swords and the council at the moment have bid over €250k on an asking of under 200 and he thinks they will go higher on that too.

He didnt say exactly but during the conversation i got the impression the council are buying everything they can, including houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Lol. I am happy for you but even as someone who thinks it is better they buy than rent this is annoying. If you ever want to watch someone really waste money find someone who is shopping that never earned the money they're spending.

I have always been totally against the council outbidding people to buy property too. But in this case, as its my pocket that is the beneficiary, I will make one exception. I will go back to hating them for it after my property is sold, whether they buy it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

There must be a money tree somewhere. Christ, its one thing buying a house, its another buying one way above asking. Im sure most people would be happy to sell to them at asking (guaranteed to go through, no chain etc).

But as im only finding out now myself, its the only way to truly find out what the market at any given time will pay for your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Asking price is just a guide though. Obviously there are advantages to selling where there's no chain and less uncertainty, but I'm not sure every seller will take a lower bid just because of that. As the other poster said, their EA is still expecting other prospective buyers to outbid the council (which suggests the EA knowingly set a low asking price with the assumption it would go up with bidding, as most properties do in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bought my house from the council a few years ago, I'm selling it shortly and they already said they want to activate the buy back clause at the highest offer. I find the thing such a waste of taxpayers money, selling me a discounted house and buying it back a few years later at market value, although I have my suspicions they want to vacate the entire development and redevelop or sell it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I find that strange. Why would they overbid on your apartment for over 300k when there are plenty of 3 bedroom houses for sale in Finglas for like 250-270k, same in Coolock, Balymun. Why wouldn't they save their money and buy cheaper properties in areas of council estates.

I find that very strange.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭DataDude

Sounds very odd for a council to actively communicate in advance they will match the highest offer for a buyback. If they did, what’s to stop you engineering a few bids to whatever price is somewhat reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

If the OP mentioned Swords it is probably Fingal County Council doing the bidding so they have no jurisdiction to buy properties in the cheaper Dublin City Council suburbs you mention. Although I'm sure there are properties within Blanchardstown and Balbriggan (both in Fingal)that are cheaper. It frustrates me too that taxpayer money is spent this way on pricier properties when cheaper ones are available. If less posh neighbourhoods are suitable for tax paying mortgage holders, why can't they be suitable for council tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

Talking to a lad in the house building game, he said lenders to small builders doing an estate or two are now charging 12% + interest on loans. Can't see too many builders ramping up supply at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you had to borrow 60% of the price of a 300k house for 12 months it would add nearly 22k to the cost.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

That may be gone up alot, I think it was close enough to that before rates started going uo

One would imagine if the government were serious about housing, this would be the first and easiest place to start.

Wasn't there a fund for low interest loans set up for small builders, but it turned out investment funds were drawing it down.

I suppose small builders can't afford lobbyists and political donations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is happening wholesale across each of the Local Authorities in Dublin for a few years now, I'd imagine it's the same elsewhere. I've a good insight into it in my own development by seeing the MUD Act requisitions. The council are hoovering up available supply with insane bids and blowing perspective buyers out of the water in the process. I'm surprised it doesn't get more media attention considering it's a core arch of the Government's Housing for All 'Plan'.

Instead of focusing predominately on ramping up supply of new builds, the Government are facilitating Local Authorities in engaging in bidding wars and driving up property prices. It's scandalous and will probably result in a Commission of Investigation in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The one good thing about Covid is that it forced immigrants like myself to take a long hard look about future life in Dublin, and the only conclusion was to get out. Here in London things are also crazy, but at least it is a functioning market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

We were told by government and mickey martin a few years ago this practice was going to be phased out. Wouldnt be first time they lied.

The market is rigged. Very hard to compete on properties when you are bidding against local councils.

Do the government not realise that high housing costs and rental costs are ultimately destroying the competitiveness of our economy. I work in finance industry. Alot of foreign workers in my company are now going home as they say get more bang for their buck elsewhere now. A good barometer is 33% of salary to go on rent/mortgage. I know of alot of people paying over 50% of their salary on rent. It's no sustainable at all and will ultimately drive alot of workers abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

People want even more left wing nonsense (SF).

so people just getting delivered what they ordered. Zero sympathies for young people.

And i hope there will be another 100k refugees this year on top. The sooner welfare western europe collapses, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Irish Times trying to claim house prices jumped nearly 10% in the last 3 months of the year. Hah. I think the journo read that the year on year increase to October was 9.7%, but we have the updated, decreased figure from November anyway?! Bizarre to report an out of date stat as news, not to mention misinterpreting it so massively as well.

‘house prices climbed 9.7 per cent across the State between October and the end of December last year’

Post edited by FedoraTheAura on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It didn't result in any investigation, or even any accountability, when they did it the last time either. I wouldn't expect it this time around.

It's hardly "left wing" to be using State money to subsidize private property owners

Any big government spending is left wing. The council tenant getting the gaff basically for free is also benefiting.

big government is just cancer.

ending the gold convertibility enabled that nonsense

So to take a US example, when the US signs a multi-billion contract with a private company for supply of weapons, that would count as "left wing"?

Or could it be the case that not "all government spending" is actually left wing?

The government shouldn't be subsidizing inefficient private enterprises though.

If a bank are charging 12% interest, they are doing it for a reason. There is likely a massively increased risk profile for these fellas. If you are in a business that is doing well for a few years and you haven't enough in the pot for a rougher period, or even an appropriate line of credit, then that is simply bad running of the business and perhaps those lads would be better off as employees of a larger business which is run correctly. Not everyone has to be the boss.

16 Lansdowne now at 737k sale agreed.

went 670 —> 737 in last week despite being listed for months.

not the only one, loads of buyers on open day viewings recently (i do one every Saturday just to waste some EA’s time haha)

• Advertisement

I see no problem if it’s a competitive bidding and the result benefits whole of society (national defense).

social housing does not. It's benefitting the bottom 10% and massively crowding out the next 10-60% percentile.

but these people want to be even more crowded out, hence getting outbid, no private homes for sale as council buys everything etc.

absolutely zero sympathies with 20/30 somethings left wing losers living at home despite ok salary and job.

Advertisement